Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 201

Thread: Wabi Cycles

  1. #1
    Get on your bikes & ride! xB_Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lextown
    My Bikes
    See signature (it varys day to day)
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wabi Cycles

    Anyone ever heard of these guys? That Scandium Lightning looks nice...
    http://www.wabicycles.com/lightning_bike_spec_orng.html
    Litespeed Classic
    Soma Double Cross DC

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring
    Posts
    1,573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very generic to me.

  3. #3
    dmg
    dmg is offline
    Beautiful Member dmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like: frames that are made of nice steel at a reasonable price ($800 17lb bike? cool!)
    Dislike: pretty much everything else about them.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Davis/Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    1984 trek 460 conversion, 2008 Lynskey R320, Peloton track bike, 1990's MBK trainer, 2004 Fisher tassajara, 70's Raleigh Gran prix. 70's moto mirage conversion (stolen), 80's Shogun Kaze (sold)
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg View Post
    Like: frames that are made of nice steel at a reasonable price ($800 17lb bike? cool!)
    Dislike: pretty much everything else about them.
    uh, it's alu.

    not really feeling the integrated headset, nothing really stands out for the price point. though as the MSRP of a new pista is now 820, it's not bad in that respect. tires are pretty low grade for the price, and not giving any branding for the wheels means they're probably low end.


    i'm liking this though: http://www.wabicycles.com/classic_bi..._sapphire.html

    still integrated hs, but 350 for a reynolds 725 frameset seems like a decent deal...

    EDIT: just noticed the classic has angles a bit slacker than I would have preferred. the alu one has some slack headtube angles relative to the seat tube... odd
    Last edited by LupinIII; 05-04-09 at 06:06 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    huntington beach california
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frames seem pretty nice except for the whole integrated thing. Geometry seems to be same as the Windsor Hour/Fuji Track if thats what you like

  6. #6
    asleep at the wheel fixedpip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross
    Posts
    974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think any Alu frame which doesn't have reinforcing around the dropouts is a waste of money. Those track ends will look pretty bad in year or twos time. Its a pretty generic looking frame too, seems like they can't quite decide who their target audience is and put little thought into it.

  7. #7
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    condor

    Quote Originally Posted by LupinIII View Post
    similar to Condor.

    http://www.condorcycles.com/bikel/pistaw_large.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  8. #8
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,524
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have pretty slack head angles at 71deg -- perhaps done to avoid pedal/wheel interference. It won't be particularly quick-handling, but easy to control at least. 62mm of drop is a fair amount for a fixed gear as well. I'd go for more like 55mm to get a little more pedal clearance on the corners.

  9. #9
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the Wabi Lightning for a non-snow SS/FG road bike that doesn't have track geometry. It's light, orange, has a carbon fork and is $800. What else would compare to this bike?
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  10. #10
    :)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    duluth
    My Bikes
    '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
    Posts
    3,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaria View Post
    because physics has more street cred than tarckstars.

  11. #11
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    Too much iron! What else?
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  12. #12
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LupinIII View Post
    uh, it's alu.

    not really feeling the integrated headset, nothing really stands out for the price point. though as the MSRP of a new pista is now 820, it's not bad in that respect. tires are pretty low grade for the price, and not giving any branding for the wheels means they're probably low end.


    i'm liking this though: http://www.wabicycles.com/classic_bi..._sapphire.html

    still integrated hs, but 350 for a reynolds 725 frameset seems like a decent deal...

    EDIT: just noticed the classic has angles a bit slacker than I would have preferred. the alu one has some slack headtube angles relative to the seat tube... odd
    They've added the component list to the site since this thread was last active. I just got the Classic in sapphire, and I'm totally stoked with it. The wheels are pretty light, and spin forever. The headset does look a bit funky on a steel bike, but that's about my only complaint.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks nice but WAY overpriced... a $800 fixed bike shouldnt have ANY house brand parts. i bought a reynolds 853 road bike with a carbon fork, full ultegra, and open pros for less than $1000 a few years ago.

  14. #14
    I just wanna ride stryper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chico Califo
    My Bikes
    2013 BMC Impec
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scandium is one of those dream frame materials. Granted this frame is just scandium enhanced aluminum, but it's a good grade aluminum too. It's a pretty light frame fork combo at 3.9lbs

    That being said, it's not too great looking, not bad either, but nothing special.
    It's got a really slack head tube.
    it's full of no name components.
    Seems too expensive for what it is. If the whole thing was $500 or maybe $600 it would be good, but $800 is not worth it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stryper View Post
    Scandium is one of those dream frame materials. Granted this frame is just scandium enhanced aluminum, but it's a good grade aluminum too. It's a pretty light frame fork combo at 3.9lbs

    That being said, it's not too great looking, not bad either, but nothing special.
    It's got a really slack head tube.
    it's full of no name components.
    Seems too expensive for what it is. If the whole thing was $500 or maybe $600 it would be good, but $800 is not worth it.
    7005 aluminum is very nice, but not expensive at all:

    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_64502

    and if they cant give a description of what "scandium enhanced" means, it doesn't mean crap to me.

    i'd pay $500 maybe

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Davis/Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    1984 trek 460 conversion, 2008 Lynskey R320, Peloton track bike, 1990's MBK trainer, 2004 Fisher tassajara, 70's Raleigh Gran prix. 70's moto mirage conversion (stolen), 80's Shogun Kaze (sold)
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    They've added the component list to the site since this thread was last active. I just got the Classic in sapphire, and I'm totally stoked with it. The wheels are pretty light, and spin forever. The headset does look a bit funky on a steel bike, but that's about my only complaint.
    650 for a 19lb bike isn't bad imo. I like the geometry now that i have a bike with geometry that's too aggressive haha. it looks pretty similar to my 84 trek, which rides amazingly.

    if the aluminum frame had a 73 parallel geo then I'd more keen on it. the steel one is definitely the winner here though.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
    it looks nice but WAY overpriced... a $800 fixed bike shouldnt have ANY house brand parts. i bought a reynolds 853 road bike with a carbon fork, full ultegra, and open pros for less than $1000 a few years ago.
    I think you're missing the point. If a logo is more important than ride quality, this isn't the bike for you. The spec does seem to be well-chosen, and given the weight, there's nothing cheap about it. If you get a chance, take one for a ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by LupinIII View Post
    650 for a 19lb bike isn't bad imo. I like the geometry now that i have a bike with geometry that's too aggressive haha. it looks pretty similar to my 84 trek, which rides amazingly.

    if the aluminum frame had a 73 parallel geo then I'd more keen on it. the steel one is definitely the winner here though.
    For my riding, the more relaxed geometry is perfect.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think you're missing the point. If a logo is more important than ride quality, this isn't the bike for you. The spec does seem to be well-chosen, and given the weight, there's nothing cheap about it. If you get a chance, take one for a ride.



    For my riding, the more relaxed geometry is perfect.
    i'm not a label junkie, i ride a scattante for goodness sake. my point is that you can buy a 7005 aluminum frame for $100 from performance (yeah, i know its got vertical dropouts, its for referance) there is not $700 worth of componets on this bike.

    take this for instance:

    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=8&minor=2

    $740 (i know your still short a fork but you get my idea)

    those surly/dt/mavic wheels are going to give you years of care free quality riding.


    i agree about the geometry though. theres no real reason for track geometry on the street
    Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-20-09 at 10:29 PM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, and if i had the chance, i would LOVE to take it for a ride. i'm drawn to its understated looks.

    i give it two thumbs up for looks

    edit:

    another thumbs up for being able to spec component geometry... i'm warming up to it ok!!
    Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-20-09 at 10:23 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found in the Wabi cycles Lightning what I wanted: light weight and road geometry. I rode a true track frame on longer rides and didn't much care for the nervousness of a track angled frame. Plus I had to carry all my water in a camelback.

    Ever since I built my lightweight track wheelset: see thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=wheel and http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...track+wheelset

    , i wanted a frameset that would be comfortable and as light as possible. While not cheap (certainly not after I paid shipping and customs) and definately not attractive (the track ends look hideous, although I like the fact it almost doesn't have decals), I agreed with Richard's design philosophy. Even with these slack angles, the lightning is plenty manoeuvreable. You don't need a track frame to go around corners fast. BB height is adequate for a fixed gear, it comes with bottle bosses so I can carry a water bottle, the black hides a lot of the things I don't like etc.

    Also, Richard is a top guy to deal with and his level of customer service is something other companies can use as an example.

    Here's my Lightning frameset, built up with the lightweight wheelset, Syntace F99 stem and Syntace Stratos bars. SLR seat, titanium seatpost. ultra cheap (but very light!) Stronglight crankset. Miche Primato brake caliper.





    I am still waiting to buy Exustar road pedals (sub 200 grammes), TA Axix Light Pro BB ( 170 ish grammes) . replace spacers with Ti grey ones, maybe black out the crankset. After all is said and done, I will have a 13 (!) pound, road worthy fixed gear with sensible geometry that I can take on longer rides and climb a hill or two on without busting out my knees (ratio also helps; 46:17) and with having spent cash that wouldn't even buy you a 105 equipped road bike.

    I can then still swap out the stock fork for a full carbon one, add road bar and brake levers and still be below 13 pounds. Yay for weight weenieism!
    You fixed my flat tire and now my light doesn't work, so...

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i love that one!!

  22. #22
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped the stock stem for a Thomson, which cost me about a 40 gram weight penalty, but the Ritchey Pro bars cut about 120 grams. I'd be happy to see 16lbs with brakes, but I'm not obsessed with weight. I like the clean looks of the Classic, and I can't get over the ride.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    My Bikes
    Too many to list
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batavus View Post
    I found in the Wabi cycles Lightning what I wanted: light weight and road geometry. I rode a true track frame on longer rides and didn't much care for the nervousness of a track angled frame. Plus I had to carry all my water in a camelback.

    Ever since I built my lightweight track wheelset: see thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=wheel and http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...track+wheelset

    , i wanted a frameset that would be comfortable and as light as possible. While not cheap (certainly not after I paid shipping and customs) and definately not attractive (the track ends look hideous, although I like the fact it almost doesn't have decals), I agreed with Richard's design philosophy. Even with these slack angles, the lightning is plenty manoeuvreable. You don't need a track frame to go around corners fast. BB height is adequate for a fixed gear, it comes with bottle bosses so I can carry a water bottle, the black hides a lot of the things I don't like etc.

    Also, Richard is a top guy to deal with and his level of customer service is something other companies can use as an example.

    Here's my Lightning frameset, built up with the lightweight wheelset, Syntace F99 stem and Syntace Stratos bars. SLR seat, titanium seatpost. ultra cheap (but very light!) Stronglight crankset. Miche Primato brake caliper.





    I am still waiting to buy Exustar road pedals (sub 200 grammes), TA Axix Light Pro BB ( 170 ish grammes) . replace spacers with Ti grey ones, maybe black out the crankset. After all is said and done, I will have a 13 (!) pound, road worthy fixed gear with sensible geometry that I can take on longer rides and climb a hill or two on without busting out my knees (ratio also helps; 46:17) and with having spent cash that wouldn't even buy you a 105 equipped road bike.

    I can then still swap out the stock fork for a full carbon one, add road bar and brake levers and still be below 13 pounds. Yay for weight weenieism!
    How do you like the Ultremo R's? Im thinking of crit racing on them next year.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s
    Posts
    475
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're regular ultremos. Very low rolling resistance and very grippy, though I sort of feared big lean angles on a slick tire like this one. They bite into tarmac like no other and wear well. I skidded them once or twice and decided that they were just too expensive to fool around with.

    Almost problem free too; one flat in rainy weather with lots of debris on the road and a snake bite on the rear when I hopped a curb and my rear wheel didn't make it. Luckily the tires were on deep v wheels at the time, because I don't think these rims would have escaped unscathed. I have heard very bad things about the R's, but it is also said that Schwalbe has solved the problem.
    You fixed my flat tire and now my light doesn't work, so...

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of the Oso a lot. I read a review on the Wabi and it got high praise.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •