Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How does proper trackstand look?

    I'm probably the only fixedgear cyclist in my town, so there is nobody to show me proper trackstand. My question is: do you look motionless while trackstanding? Because I've read a post somewhere about motorists asking trackstanding cyclist "what are you leaning on". When I trackstand on lights I have to rock my bike like 5cm forth and back to stay uprigt. How hard is to achieve trackstand looking motionless?

  2. #2
    auk
    auk is offline
    Coasting makes you grumpy
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast
    Posts
    1,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of practice and good balance. Which is why I continue to fail the motionless version.

    Every so often I get it to be completely motionless, but it is a matter of seconds, otherwise I'm with you. It will come I'm sure, just keep at it.

    Dave

  3. #3
    killer goldfish svwagner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    right here, right now
    My Bikes
    fixies, fixies, and the ss cruiser
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a perfect trackstand is motionless.

    a good trackstand has little bits of motion for balance correction.

    i can only achieve the perfect trackstand about twice a year (unless you count my daydreams), only on my Casati, and only when not carrying anything more than what's in my pockets.

    the problem is that i commute on a different fixie and always carry a messenger bag or panniers. i'm nowhere near good enough to trackstand with a single, loaded pannier.

  4. #4
    Filthy Cycling Rodent
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Santa Cruise
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a perfect trackstand is motionless and no handed. i've seen a couple at after party trackstand comps, and somehow by pretty wasted people, so its not an everyday occurence. im cutting down my rocking alot, but rocking is by all means normal. just be obsessive and trackstand in your room, it helps (me anyways)

  5. #5
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    next time you're in chicago Ill show ya....

  6. #6
    Filthy Cycling Rodent
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Santa Cruise
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey crusted, you racing the cuttin crew classics?

  7. #7
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclorat
    hey crusted, you racing the cuttin crew classics?
    think it might be my time to volunteer....i'd definitely love to be there...haven't seen anything up on the web yet, once I do, I'll contact whoever...might be Cooter...to let them know Id like to help out..

    randy

  8. #8
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Drew coming down for it? If anyone wants to volunteer, let me know as I can send a list to Jeremy/Mike of who can help.
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

  9. #9
    Retired Member ultra-g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Queens New York
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maus
    I'm probably the only fixedgear cyclist in my town, so there is nobody to show me proper trackstand. My question is: do you look motionless while trackstanding? Because I've read a post somewhere about motorists asking trackstanding cyclist "what are you leaning on". When I trackstand on lights I have to rock my bike like 5cm forth and back to stay uprigt. How hard is to achieve trackstand looking motionless?
    Can Someone post a picture or link to a video of a proper trackstand??
    I Changed My User Name!

  10. #10
    Member fatpossum22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra-g
    Can Someone post a picture or link to a video of a proper trackstand??
    http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_12.htm

    How's that?

  11. #11
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra-g
    Can Someone post a picture or link to a video of a proper trackstand??
    google.com einstein.

  12. #12
    Rhymes With Bike Schiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    1,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crustedfish
    google.com einstein.
    Hmmm. That's just getting me pictures of a physicist and bagels.
    destructible.
    In The Crosshairs

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiek
    Hmmm. That's just getting me pictures of a physicist and bagels.
    laffo

  14. #14
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,556
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crustedfish
    google.com einstein.
    Since he's trying to find, versus figure out, "Sherlock" would have been more appropriate.

  15. #15
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Track stands (pics from www.oldskooltrack.com):
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

  16. #16
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber
    Since he's trying to find, versus figure out, "Sherlock" would have been more appropriate.
    lol..nice..

  17. #17
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a trackstand (literally, this is from www.stringyspit.net and it is of a skid crash...but at the same time, it might represent what a failed trackstand looks like):
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isn't there a ton of vids on old skool track

  19. #19
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's safe to assume only fixed gear bikes can do this, right?

    (hopes that it can be done on a freewheel bike )

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen people with freewheel bikes pull them off. It is just harder since you have to do the pressure adjustments with the brakes or by pushing/pulling on the tires with your feet.

    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    I guess it's safe to assume only fixed gear bikes can do this, right?

    (hopes that it can be done on a freewheel bike )

  21. #21
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet! I gotta leanr this sometime then..I hate having to re-clip when the light turns green...some large intersections here only turn green for me for about 8 seconds...so if i'm not clipped in and mashing like mad the second it turns green..it goes red when im in the dead middle of it.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farrenator
    I have seen people with freewheel bikes pull them off. It is just harder since you have to do the pressure adjustments with the brakes or by pushing/pulling on the tires with your feet.

    um, no.

    i can do the perfect (motionless) trackstand on a freewheel bike. i can do it nohanded. i do not have to touch my brakes, and i do not have to touch my tires wth my feet. i can do it standing, i can do it seated.

    and if you give me my track bike, i can do it while drinking a beer.
    i ride bikes.

  23. #23
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fore
    um, no.

    i can do the perfect (motionless) trackstand on a freewheel bike. i can do it nohanded. i do not have to touch my brakes, and i do not have to touch my tires wth my feet. i can do it standing, i can do it seated.

    and if you give me my track bike, i can do it while drinking a beer.
    can you do it in a hat?
    can you do it with a cat?
    can you do it just like that?
    can you do it with a flat?
    can you do it with a guy named Matt?

    sorry..your post was WAY to doc seuss..

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    by a big river
    Posts
    2,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard he did it with a cat!
    Just don't ask what he did with the rat.
    You will not find it in his flat.
    If you want to know just ask Matt

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclorat
    a perfect trackstand is motionless and no handed. i've seen a couple at after party trackstand comps, and somehow by pretty wasted people, so its not an everyday occurence. im cutting down my rocking alot, but rocking is by all means normal. just be obsessive and trackstand in your room, it helps (me anyways)
    I was at the 7-11 Velodrome in Colorado Springs and I saw a guy practicing a trackstand. A member of the US National Team (a junior) said that he could do a trackstand with no hands while juggling. The other guy just smerked. A little later I looked up to see this junior doing a trackstand with no hands. He was yelling for someone to give him something to juggle. He was stock still. Amazing!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •