Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    duh...umm..threadless stems?

    pardon my huge ignorance...

    is it possible to change a threadless stem/headset to a threaded variety?

    duh..???

  2. #2
    Senior Member progre-ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Poconos, PA
    My Bikes
    Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
    Posts
    1,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure...if you use one of these...
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

  3. #3
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nah..I currently have a threadless setup..wanna switch over to threaded...Ill have to cut some of the fork off, right?

    enlighten me oh wonders of wisdom

  4. #4
    The King of Town manboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    My Bikes
    Haro Backtrail 20" (MISSING), Fuji Berkeley fixie, Huffy cruisercommuterdeathmobile
    Posts
    682
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, if you find a way to put some threads on the top of the fork... that's beyond my understanding and ability, but it seems possible. and you'd certainly have to find a new headset, or at least the top cone thing.

  5. #5
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manboy
    well, if you find a way to put some threads on the top of the fork... that's beyond my understanding and ability, but it seems possible. and you'd certainly have to find a new headset, or at least the top cone thing.
    oh yeah...duh..may be easier to find a cheap steel fork to do the swap...

  6. #6
    Senior Member progre-ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Poconos, PA
    My Bikes
    Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
    Posts
    1,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crustedfish
    oh yeah...duh..may be easier to find a cheap steel fork to do the swap...
    Oops. My bad! Read your post wrong...thought it was the other way around. I agree with manboy where you'd have to thread the fork steerer after you cut it. Probably easier to just search the LBS for threaded forks. I'm sure they are plentiful in well stocked older shops.

  7. #7
    Team Beer Cynikal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    5,773
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can Cut the steer tube and have your LBS tread it. you will need a new head set but the fork would work. I just converted my self but I bought a shinny new chrome straight-blade fork. I'll post a pic when I get it, should be in a day or two.

    Cheers
    I'm not one for fawning over bicycles, but I do believe that our bikes communicate with us, and what this bike is saying is, "You're an idiot." BikeSnobNYC

  8. #8
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    things:
    1" or 1 1/8" tube on the fork? (I have never seen a 1 1/8" thread set-up, BUT that does not meant they don't exist somewhere)

    I have a few stems for 1" threaded you can try out crusted...just let me know.
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

  9. #9
    shoot up or shut up. isotopesope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, co
    My Bikes
    yes please.
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do you want to convert to threaded? i personally prefer threadless.

  10. #10
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isotopesope
    why do you want to convert to threaded? i personally prefer threadless.
    Cuz I'll have her painted soon and Im trying to "buy a new frame" without really buying a new frame.

    cheapest bike to buy is the one you already got!!!

    I dunno..I've got a thing for deep track bars, and I would never bother with a threadless setup...

    thats my thinking..

  11. #11
    shoot up or shut up. isotopesope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, co
    My Bikes
    yes please.
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crustedfish
    Cuz I'll have her painted soon and Im trying to "buy a new frame" without really buying a new frame.

    cheapest bike to buy is the one you already got!!!

    I dunno..I've got a thing for deep track bars, and I would never bother with a threadless setup...

    thats my thinking..
    i love deep drop track bars myself, 3ttt pista bars come to mind, but what does that have to do with your headset, stem, and fork being threaded or threadless? you are currently running threadless, yes? 1" or 1.125"? it seems if you're trying to save money while revamping your bike, shouldn't you just paint it and get the bars you want and call it a day? swapping a fork or having your current one threaded and replacing your headset seems like a lot of unneccesary cost if trying to save money. i know it's your bike and all, and i'm not trying to dissuade you from anything. i am just trying to better understand your motivation for the swap. threadless is lighter and i think way easier to adjust and work on.

  12. #12
    auk
    auk is offline
    Coasting makes you grumpy
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast
    Posts
    1,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the threadless thing for the quick change ability of the removable face stems. Makes the switching of bullhorns to drops and back a matter of a mood change rather than a bar tape wrestling match. Plus you never score the bars during the switch.

    That said, I do prefer threaded on particular bikes. Classic bikes deserve such.

    Dave

  13. #13
    al5
    al5 is offline
    super! al5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who's doing your strip/paint job ?

  14. #14
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auk
    I love the threadless thing for the quick change ability of the removable face stems. Makes the switching of bullhorns to drops and back a matter of a mood change rather than a bar tape wrestling match. Plus you never score the bars during the switch.

    That said, I do prefer threaded on particular bikes. Classic bikes deserve such.

    Dave
    I've got a front loading quill stem. Threaded. It will allow you to do the same thing. I prefer the threaded style. It just seems to make more sense to me.

  15. #15
    oh..so...crusty.. crustedfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    chicago
    My Bikes
    bianchi pista
    Posts
    622
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by isotopesope
    i love deep drop track bars myself, 3ttt pista bars come to mind, but what does that have to do with your headset, stem, and fork being threaded or threadless? you are currently running threadless, yes? 1" or 1.125"? it seems if you're trying to save money while revamping your bike, shouldn't you just paint it and get the bars you want and call it a day? swapping a fork or having your current one threaded and replacing your headset seems like a lot of unneccesary cost if trying to save money. i know it's your bike and all, and i'm not trying to dissuade you from anything. i am just trying to better understand your motivation for the swap. threadless is lighter and i think way easier to adjust and work on.
    my setup now is 1'' threadless... I suppose I could just get the bars I want..but, I'm gonna be saving sooo much money on the paint that it makes it worth it to get a threaded setup....

    I dunno...first thing's first...paint it..second thing is second...eventually...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •