Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-01-09, 08:22 PM   #1
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up an old Schwinn Traveler, need some help picking out parts for singlespeed.

Just picked up this bike for 10 bucks on craigslist. Its in pretty good shape, frame and wheels are solid (just need some cleaning/paint!). First off I just want to get it rolling. I want to get new tire, cranks, chainwheel, chain and a single speed freewheel. I guess I'm gonna want a new seat, front brakes and pedals too.

Can anyone recommend a solid setup that will fit this bike and maybe a site where I can order everything? I'm not sure what year it is. I'm just looking for a good parts list that will get me an install w/o chainline problems...I see a lot of Schwinn Travelers being converted over so parts should be east. Can't wait to start building this thing!

Here are some pics of it:





tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 09:16 PM   #2
TheBikeRollsOn 
Senior Member
 
TheBikeRollsOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just go ahead and get a new wheelset with a flip flop rear hub.
TheBikeRollsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 09:37 PM   #3
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking of that but these original wheels are in great shape, they are true and spokes are in good shape. im trying not to put a lot of money into this...i have a jamis mountain bike that is my money pit

If I can get away with just throwing on a single speed freewheel on the existing wheels that would be great.
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 10:29 PM   #4
yepyep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to break it to you but that bike has been wrecked. I don't think it is an optical illusion that the fork is completely wonky.
yepyep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 03:47 AM   #5
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban
Posts: 8,304
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, I think I see it too. Check for bulges in the frame behind the head lugs to make sure the frame is ok.
__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 12:31 PM   #6
shecky
Senior Member
 
shecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Home of the Homeless
Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyortom View Post
If I can get away with just throwing on a single speed freewheel on the existing wheels that would be great.
If you really don't want to spend money, use the freewheel that's on there. You might need to put a washer or two on the crank between the sprocket and bearing race, to get a good chainline, if the shifted crank can be accommodated by the frame/crank threads on the other side.

You can try using a ss freewheel. Chainline issues might pop up again. Sometimes these things turn into headaches.

The fork may be bent. As long as there are no kinks or cracks in the steel, you can try bending it back.

Dig up a rear caliper somewhere. Lube it up. Ready to go.
shecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 04:45 PM   #7
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hhmmm...didnt think there was any major damage to the thing. here are some more pictures, not sure if these help. i looked over the frame again and didnt see any problems.



tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 04:47 PM   #8
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i assumed someone could recommend a crank/chainring and singlespeed freewheel setup that would work well on this frame since ive seen a lot of schwinn travelers that have been converted. still waiting to hear what people say about the fork/frame being bent...looked ok to me.
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 04:50 PM   #9
jet sanchEz
Senior Member
 
jet sanchEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Fork is fine, the first picture just made it look bent.

Just put some brakes on it, shorten the chain and ride it as it is. Don't put any money into it all, it ain't gonna be worth it in the end.
jet sanchEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 09:10 PM   #10
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Fork is fine, the first picture just made it look bent.

Just put some brakes on it, shorten the chain and ride it as it is. Don't put any money into it all, it ain't gonna be worth it in the end.
yeah i checked the bike over real well when i bought it...made sure i had at least a decent frame and wheels. it was only 10 bucks anyways for the bike. i dont plan on putting too much into it...maybe $150 bucks. my jamis mtn bike is my real money pit this summer.

just really looking for a decent crank and SS freewheel setup that should fit this easily...
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-09, 09:19 PM   #11
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest
 
TheDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: PDX
Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a new chain is in order too. It looks like one solid crank on that puppy and it'd turn to dust.
TheDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 01:10 AM   #12
shecky
Senior Member
 
shecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Home of the Homeless
Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyortom View Post
just really looking for a decent crank and SS freewheel setup that should fit this easily...
If you wish, go for it. Certainly doable.

I wouldn't bother with a new crank. It'll likely cause some headache, cost you at least $50 (crank arms, funky BB/adapter, chainwheel), you'll still have to deal with chainline issues and all you'll get is a loss of about one pound. Those old Schwinn one piece cranks pretty much never go bad. They just work.

The ss freewheel will look nicer, for sure. They don't usually cost too much. 16t is probably the smallest you'll be able to use, if that suits your gearing needs with your existing sprocket.

Definitely get a new chain. Any will do, even the cheap Walmart clamshell packed ones. Even if you do nothing else but get a new chain and brake, you'll end up with a bike that will last forever with minimal maintenance.
shecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:14 PM   #13
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
If you wish, go for it. Certainly doable.

I wouldn't bother with a new crank. It'll likely cause some headache, cost you at least $50 (crank arms, funky BB/adapter, chainwheel), you'll still have to deal with chainline issues and all you'll get is a loss of about one pound. Those old Schwinn one piece cranks pretty much never go bad. They just work.

The ss freewheel will look nicer, for sure. They don't usually cost too much. 16t is probably the smallest you'll be able to use, if that suits your gearing needs with your existing sprocket.

Definitely get a new chain. Any will do, even the cheap Walmart clamshell packed ones. Even if you do nothing else but get a new chain and brake, you'll end up with a bike that will last forever with minimal maintenance.
well if i can get away with using the existing crank ill do that. ill need a new chainwheel...that one on there is a 39t. do they make chainwheels that will fit onto that style crank? i would just like to put a good set of new parts on this thing though...nothing top end, just good enough to ride around. im looking to spend 150-200 most likely. (freewheel, crank/bb, chainring, pedals, brakes, seat.)

anyone happen to know what year this bike is? might help me hunt down some people with the same bike who have done a conversion. i just want to make sure i can get my chainline good.
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 02:57 PM   #14
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Bikes: 2013 Kona Jake, 2015 Kona Jake the Snake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 2006 Kona Kula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires, 1984 Pinarello Gran Turismo, 1982 Trek 614, 1978 Austro-Daimler, 1987 Pinarello Montello
Posts: 9,166
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Looks like an ashtabula crank. You can get a new chainring ridiculously cheap here:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.ph...er_id=&sort=3a

Any of the ones marked "OPC" or "1 piece" should work. For help taking it apart, look here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

On the other hand, if you want a new crankset, you can get an adapter for the bottom bracket (http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=14342) so that it'll take a standard English bottom bracket. If you do that, you'll also need different pedals. Then for a cheap crankset, you could try this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGIN-8-TRACK-C...ts_Accessories

If you intend to use the existing wheels, your best bet is probably to put on a freewheel and measure to see what the chainline is, then get a bottom bracket to match it. The length you need will depend on your measurement.

Otherwise you'll need to respace and redish them to get the right chainline. If you go that way, any bottom bracket length will do, though shorter will be better. I'd want to go with a 103mm bottom bracket, since that will likely (depending on the cranks you choose) give you the right chainline for standard wheels if you decide to upgrade in the future.

For more help, look here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
Andy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 01:54 PM   #15
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Looks like an ashtabula crank. You can get a new chainring ridiculously cheap here:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.ph...er_id=&sort=3a

Any of the ones marked "OPC" or "1 piece" should work. For help taking it apart, look here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

On the other hand, if you want a new crankset, you can get an adapter for the bottom bracket (http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=14342) so that it'll take a standard English bottom bracket. If you do that, you'll also need different pedals. Then for a cheap crankset, you could try this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGIN-8-TRACK-C...ts_Accessories

If you intend to use the existing wheels, your best bet is probably to put on a freewheel and measure to see what the chainline is, then get a bottom bracket to match it. The length you need will depend on your measurement.

Otherwise you'll need to respace and redish them to get the right chainline. If you go that way, any bottom bracket length will do, though shorter will be better. I'd want to go with a 103mm bottom bracket, since that will likely (depending on the cranks you choose) give you the right chainline for standard wheels if you decide to upgrade in the future.

For more help, look here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
Well I'm going to pickup a new larger chainring for the 1 piece crank and see if I can get that to work. Local bike shop said they had them in stock and hopefully I can get the chainline issue resolved there....
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 05:12 PM   #16
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone know what chainring this is? looking for some other options other than the generic $10 chrome star looking ones.

tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 05:26 PM   #17
djeucalyptus
mediocre member
 
djeucalyptus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nuevo mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyortom View Post
anyone know what chainring this is? looking for some other options other than the generic $10 chrome star looking ones.
looks like an older profile chainwheel (or knockoff). and for that crank, you'll be lookin for a "chainwheel" and not a chainring. Browse some of the bmx sites like Dan'sComp to check out choices.
djeucalyptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:01 PM   #18
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


well here it is. picked up all the parts for pretty cheap from a local shop. threw a redline bmx 44t chainwheel on for $15, picked up a specialized seat for $20. picked up some new tires as well. just need to figure out what im going to do with the brakes and bar wrap.
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 08:34 PM   #19
etothepii
Senior Member
 
etothepii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a SS, right? I'd go with white bar wrap and a fairly standard road bike brake set up, with black hoods. Can you do anything about the reflective tape?

Very nice looking, overall. Love the budget!!!
etothepii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:00 PM   #20
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was going to ask about a recommendation for a decent front brake. i have the stock ones that came off of it but i think they are shot.

as soon as i go home to get my heat gun i am going to strip all of the stickers. i will probably sandblast and repaint the frame in the fall when i have access to a gun/booth at school.

i have some mongoose bmx pedals that i think will fit those 1 piece cranks and replace the original pedals...they are rusted through in some spots.
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:01 PM   #21
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and yes its just a single speed....17t freewheel and 44t chainring.
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 11:26 PM   #22
jamesj
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Bikes: 1988 Raleigh Sport, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
you should check out this thread.

Finally! ('72 Schwinn World Traveler)
jamesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:48 AM   #23
etothepii
Senior Member
 
etothepii's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyortom View Post
i was going to ask about a recommendation for a decent front brake. i have the stock ones that came off of it but i think they are shot.

as soon as i go home to get my heat gun i am going to strip all of the stickers. i will probably sandblast and repaint the frame in the fall when i have access to a gun/booth at school.

i have some mongoose bmx pedals that i think will fit those 1 piece cranks and replace the original pedals...they are rusted through in some spots.
I actually love the original paint -- nicks and all. I be you could find some decent Tektros on ebay that some roadie took off his bike in an upgrade, or something. I found a parts bike at a yard sale for $25 that had Shimano 600 brakes. You never know what you might come across.

Anyway, ride the heck out of that thing!!!
etothepii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:12 AM   #24
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etothepii View Post
I actually love the original paint -- nicks and all. I be you could find some decent Tektros on ebay that some roadie took off his bike in an upgrade, or something. I found a parts bike at a yard sale for $25 that had Shimano 600 brakes. You never know what you might come across.

Anyway, ride the heck out of that thing!!!
paint isnt too bad actually...but i like painting things haha.

with these old steel frames i read that sandblasting can damage the frame sometimes? i have a sandblaster and home, is there a safe thing to use that wont hurt the steel?

if not i think i cant just take a wire wheel to it and that should work..
tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 05:58 PM   #25
tommyortom
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
forgot that I had this Ross womens bike laying around. Grabbed the Shimano front brakes and some chrome handlebars off of it as well as a cable and had a BMX lever laying around that fit on the bars. works great! just gotta wrap the handlebars and this thing is done.

tommyortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 PM.