Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    1. get on 2. pedal
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    closeout mania: '08 Madison v. '08 Speciale v. '08 Pista

    A bike shop near me is discounting '08 FG/SS to the point where I can't take it anymore. For someone just getting into FG after starting SS, which deal would you pick and why: '08 Schwinn Madison for $399; '08 Bianchi Pista for $469 (plus whatever a front brake will cost); '08 Masi Speciale Fixed for $499? Testing them all and can't quite decide; I have a slight favorite but am eager to hear opinions from the more experienced.

  2. #2
    monster
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going on price alone, get the Madison. All the bikes in that price point are going to ride the same. So choose by fit, price and the dreaded word "aesthetics".

  3. #3
    Rustbelt Rider mkeller234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canton, OH
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban
    Posts
    8,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all it cost to get into a new fixed gear bicycle? Wow, not bad at all. I don't spend much time in these parts but those seem to be a fair bargin.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
    |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

  4. #4
    Senior Member devilshaircut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
    Posts
    1,383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the three, I like the Pista the best.

  5. #5
    Pug lover! Dogs and bikes Tigerprawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be a proud owner of any of those three.

    EDIT:

    Didn't even answer your inquiry, hah!

    Aesthetically I love the look of all three, but I've seen some awesome looking Madisons and Masi so I'd choose one of those.
    Looking for;

    Rapha / Outlier - Size M or 30 Waist
    Campy Victory aero pedal mounting hardware

  6. #6
    Live without dead time
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my Speciale Fixed but as said, all three bikes are about equivalent. To be honest I would go with whichever one comes from a shop who knows how to build up a good wheel as I think that would likely be the most noticeable difference between the bikes. My wheels were hand built at my shop and I've absolutely trashed them on potholes and hard riding and they still haven't gone out of true in the slightest bit after a year of hard use.
    Rich

  7. #7
    big ring MIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    5,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned the Pista and Madison and the Madison is stiffer and more versatile, with room for bigger tires. No experience with the Masi.

  8. #8
    1. get on 2. pedal
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone got the last Masi. It was probably trailing the other two in my book anyway, though I did love the orange-and-blue paint job. Down to the Madison and the Pista. Riding tonight. The Pista doesn't have housing stops for a rear brake so I'd really be making the FG commitment on that one, though at the price I suppose I could get most of the cost back on Craigslist if I wanted to go back to SS.

  9. #9
    Senior Member devilshaircut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
    Posts
    1,383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride both and see which you personally prefer. I've ridden both and I prefer the geometry of the Pista. But don't listen to me. LISTEN TO YOUR HEART.

  10. #10
    Steel snob by accident iwegian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    My Bikes
    Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx
    Posts
    648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks wise, the only think i can really comment on, i'd go for the madison. you could always strip it and go with the all chrome frame. can't comment on ride or fit for you of either of them.

  11. #11
    professional newb antilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIN View Post
    I've owned the Pista and Madison and the Madison is stiffer and more versatile, with room for bigger tires. No experience with the Masi.
    How big of a tire could you go with a Madison? I'm a clyde thinking about getting a Madison and I'd like something bigger than the Schwalbe 23's.

  12. #12
    big ring MIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    5,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antilogy View Post
    How big of a tire could you go with a Madison? I'm a clyde thinking about getting a Madison and I'd like something bigger than the Schwalbe 23's.
    28c with normal rear axle placement.. 34c cross tires with the axle scooted back slightly.

  13. #13
    professional newb antilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks man,

    Now hopefully GearsForFears doesn't buy the last Madison at the same shop I'm looking at!

  14. #14
    1. get on 2. pedal
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I didn't think the Madison had that kind of clearance. What about fenders? Not that I'd put on big tires or fenders, this won't be an all-arounder for me. But good to know regardless.

    (antilogy - I think the shop I'm dealing with has some supply left in the Maddie. I'd be buying a large if that comforts you or alarms you more.)

  15. #15
    big ring MIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    5,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GearsForFears View Post
    Interesting. I didn't think the Madison had that kind of clearance. What about fenders? Not that I'd put on big tires or fenders, this won't be an all-arounder for me. But good to know regardless.

    (antilogy - I think the shop I'm dealing with has some supply left in the Maddie. I'd be buying a large if that comforts you or alarms you more.)
    I had fenders on the madison at one point but the rake of the fork and the shorter tt puts the front wheel too close to my feet, creating big toe overlap. I use fenders on a different bike. The frame has holes on the fork and rear for direct mount fenders.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Madison is a better bike in every way possible except for actual track use. But again, the Madison is way stiffer but has a heavier frame.

    madison, stripped


    pista, non-stock carbon fork

  16. #16
    professional newb antilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GearsForFears View Post
    Interesting. I didn't think the Madison had that kind of clearance. What about fenders? Not that I'd put on big tires or fenders, this won't be an all-arounder for me. But good to know regardless.

    (antilogy - I think the shop I'm dealing with has some supply left in the Maddie. I'd be buying a large if that comforts you or alarms you more.)
    On paper I'm more likely a medium. I live an hour away from willy so it's a bit difficult for me to go and try and buy and whatever. With luck I can get there soon!

    AFAIK the Maddie doesn't have eyelets for fenders.

    EDIT: Nevermind, MIN has pointed out the eyelets.

  17. #17
    1. get on 2. pedal
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That stripped Madison is mouth-watering. However the varsity blue is special for me. My first real bike as a teenager was a '74 Schwinn LeTour in that color. I adored that bike like only a 14-year-old can. My dad used to ride it after I went away at college; he would leave it unlocked in our garage and you can guess what happened. I've never gotten over it. The Madison in that color looks so much like my old LeTour (sans derailleur of course) it's almost scary. It would be like getting my old bike back, but better.

    (Why are bikes so sentimental? Jeez.)

  18. #18
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madison for price. Masi because, well its a Masi
    DIRT BOY

  19. #19
    Senior Member devilshaircut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.
    Posts
    1,383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Le Tour (I believe it is an '84.) with that color scheme also, so I know how you feel.

  20. #20
    1. get on 2. pedal
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check SS, '84 Raleigh Alyeska, '00 Mongoose Crossway
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Italian so the Bianchi and Masi also appeal. Even though I know Masi these days is about as Italian as Pizza Hut. Really good reasons for picking out a bike, huh?

  21. #21
    big ring MIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    philadelphia
    Posts
    5,839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GearsForFears View Post
    I'm Italian so the Bianchi and Masi also appeal. Even though I know Masi these days is about as Italian as Pizza Hut. Really good reasons for picking out a bike, huh?
    All 3 are a Taiwanese branding exercise.

  22. #22
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct
    DIRT BOY

  23. #23
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GearsForFears View Post
    I'm Italian so the Bianchi and Masi also appeal.
    I am Italian/American AND my last name is Masi!
    DIRT BOY

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GearsForFears View Post
    That stripped Madison is mouth-watering. However the varsity blue is special for me. My first real bike as a teenager was a '74 Schwinn LeTour in that color. I adored that bike like only a 14-year-old can. My dad used to ride it after I went away at college; he would leave it unlocked in our garage and you can guess what happened. I've never gotten over it. The Madison in that color looks so much like my old LeTour (sans derailleur of course) it's almost scary. It would be like getting my old bike back, but better.

    (Why are bikes so sentimental? Jeez.)
    I don't see how choice could be an issue with that story-
    Besides being a great bike, sentimentality is the reason I chose the Madison,
    I've been into Schwinns since getting a new Stingray on my 8th birthday-

    Also-Be sure to replace the horrid "Lincoln Continental" headbadge with a
    white oval 70's re-pop one (less than 10 bucks on Ebay), It really fits the
    bike and makes it look even more old-school!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIN View Post
    I had fenders on the madison at one point but the rake of the fork and the shorter tt puts the front wheel too close to my feet, creating big toe overlap. I use fenders on a different bike. The frame has holes on the fork and rear for direct mount fenders.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Madison is a better bike in every way possible except for actual track use. But again, the Madison is way stiffer but has a heavier frame.

    madison, stripped


    pista, non-stock carbon fork
    did you strip the paint off of the madison?

    how did you do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •