Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member BigDaddyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    71 Super Sport conversion

    Not sure where to put this, here or C&V. I'm picking up an early 70's Schwinn Super Sport. It's been sitting in a basement for several years and I'm thinking about stripping it down and going SS or perhaps getting a flip flop hub so I can eventually move up to fixed. What crank does anyone recommend? Wheelset? I'm going to go with a b-17 and moustache bars but I want simple and classic. Love to hear some thoughts and ideas. And if it can be done fairly inexpensively, even better. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an Origin8 Pro Pulsion crank for like $40 off eBay for my old Gitane conversion, and I'm happy with it. With a 103mm bottom bracket it gives a pretty nice chainline. You can get better cranks for more money, but I would personally recommend this over the ubiquitous Sugino RD.

    For wheels, I definitely recommend going to Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and picking something out. I've gotten two sets of wheels from them and have been very pleased with both. For my ssfg, I went with the Formula/Mavic CXP22, but the Open Pros are really nice if you want to spend the money.

    People here will likely harass you about what a waste of time and money it is to do a conversion. I haven't had that experience at C&V, though if the bike is really nice as is they might plead with you a bit.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BigDaddyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other pressing question is can I use the stock set of wheels and just swap out the rear cassette for a single gear?

  4. #4
    my hubs are dirty
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2, Handsome XOXO
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete View Post
    The other pressing question is can I use the stock set of wheels and just swap out the rear cassette for a single gear?
    If it's a 1971 bike, it'll have a freewheel hub in the back, not a cassette hub. You can use the hub if you're riding freewheel, but if you want to go fixed, you'll have to get a new hub.

  5. #5
    :)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    duluth
    My Bikes
    '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
    Posts
    3,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete View Post
    Not sure where to put this, here or C&V. I'm picking up an early 70's Schwinn Super Sport. It's been sitting in a basement for several years and I'm thinking about stripping it down and going SS or perhaps getting a flip flop hub so I can eventually move up to fixed. What crank does anyone recommend? Wheelset? I'm going to go with a b-17 and moustache bars but I want simple and classic. Love to hear some thoughts and ideas. And if it can be done fairly inexpensively, even better. Thanks.
    What crank is on there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaria View Post
    because physics has more street cred than tarckstars.

  6. #6
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete View Post
    The other pressing question is can I use the stock set of wheels and just swap out the rear cassette for a single gear?
    The stock wheels are probably steel, which is one strike against them. As is, they probably won't give you the best chainline, but that can possibly be fixed with respacing and redishing if the spokes and nipples are still in good shape. With singlespeed/freewheel (unlike fixed) I understand you can get away with a bad chainline, so you might be able to use it as is. If you're getting a new crank and bottom bracket you could also possibly figure out an appropriate bottom bracket length to buy to get the chainline the wheels have as they are.

  7. #7
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    What crank is on there?
    Good question. A little googling indicates it's probably an ashtabula. That puts an additional wrinkle in the discussion. You can get a conversion kit for about $15 so it'll take a standard bottom bracket. Or if you want to stay really cheap you can just swap out the chainring.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BigDaddyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    The stock wheels are probably steel, which is one strike against them. As is, they probably won't give you the best chainline, but that can possibly be fixed with respacing and redishing if the spokes and nipples are still in good shape. With singlespeed/freewheel (unlike fixed) I understand you can get away with a bad chainline, so you might be able to use it as is. If you're getting a new crank and bottom bracket you could also possibly figure out an appropriate bottom bracket length to buy to get the chainline the wheels have as they are.
    Ok, then where does one find 27 inch wheels? Craigslist? Because it's a little slim pickings around here. Or failing that, how hard is the conversion to 700c?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
    Good question. A little googling indicates it's probably an ashtabula. That puts an additional wrinkle in the discussion. You can get a conversion kit for about $15 so it'll take a standard bottom bracket. Or if you want to stay really cheap you can just swap out the chainring.
    I'm guessing that's what it is. I may swap out the chainring to start.

  9. #9
    my hubs are dirty
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Olympic, Bridgestone RB-2, Handsome XOXO
    Posts
    147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete View Post
    Ok, then where does one find 27 inch wheels? Craigslist? Because it's a little slim pickings around here. Or failing that, how hard is the conversion to 700c?
    Scan through the C&V forum; there're plenty of conversions from 27" to 700c. I think the only issue is brake reach, and it's a minor one.

  10. #10
    Team Water Andy_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    My Bikes
    2013 Kona Jake, 2008 Kona Major Jake, 2013 Kona Jake the Snake, 1999 Kona Muni Mula, 2012 Ridley Excalibur, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped out the 27 inch on my Gitane for 700's, and I had a bit of a problem with the front brake not having quite enough reach using the original brakes. I shaved off a few millimeters of brake pad, which took care of it, but since then I got another brake (still a vintage Dia Compe center pull) which had the extra reach I needed.

    Anyway, it'll probably work for you. You might need new brakes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member BigDaddyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I think I've solved some of the basics. I'm getting a B17, and i've ordered my moustache bars. My LBS can get me a good deal on new 27in wheels. What do I need to know about cranks. It's got the heavy ashtabula crankset on there now, but I want something lighter and more asthetically pleasing. Any recs? What do I need to know about bottom brackets in this rig? Thanks. Hopefully next week I'll work on getting some pics up.

  12. #12
    Senior Member BigDaddyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So as promised, here are some pictures thus far. I'm waiting on some parts to arrive and then figuring out the next step.










    Need to figure out the crank and the wheels. Everything else seems to be falling into place. Hopefully by the middle of July I'll be on it, I'd like it to be sooner, but we'll see what happens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •