Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    48
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    what do you guys think of the '08 Specialized Langster?

    There is a bike store that I went to that wants to sell me this bike for $570 ( a med size frame) http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=32712 . I will be doing velodrome riding with it as well as street riding. What do you guys think? These are my other opitions too http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik/1227636470.html or anyone of these http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/trackbikes.htm . What would you guys do? I am 6ft tall.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member alexgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need atleasted a 58 they run a lil small. Here is one I found, http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1228174050.html .
    They really are great bikes for the price, if you can get them cheaper then 600.

  3. #3
    Senior Member lukewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgate View Post
    you need atleasted a 58 they run a lil small. Here is one I found, http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1228174050.html .
    They really are great bikes for the price, if you can get them cheaper then 600.
    How can you tell what size he needs without knowing his body proportions? And I don't think they run small, looking at the geo chart the frames are pretty square.

    I don't know what size a medium is (54?, 56?) but as long as you can get the drop and reach you want without going into extreme stem sizes (<90mm or > 130mm) i'd say its ok. Go and ride the bike and see if the frame size is within reason. Don't settle for a bike if the fit isn't going to be right. Its never a good deal if it isn't going to fit you.

    The langster is a good bike despite what the fixie tarck crowd thinks.
    Last edited by lukewall; 06-18-09 at 03:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi View Post
    And I can't help but lol at the "heavier-set" riders I see on the trails riding around on $5000 speed machines. Nothing funnier than someone paying $4000 to shave 5 lbs when they're packing an extra 50...

  4. #4
    Senior Member lukewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since they're trying to get rid of old stock, you might as well try to lowball them. Like, offer $500 cash and if they don't take it, try to meet them at the middle somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi View Post
    And I can't help but lol at the "heavier-set" riders I see on the trails riding around on $5000 speed machines. Nothing funnier than someone paying $4000 to shave 5 lbs when they're packing an extra 50...

  5. #5
    Senior Member the_don's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are buying for the track, get a track geometry. The Langster is a really nice bike, but is a road geometry because it is designed for comfortable road use. That $100 CL bike you found is a conversion and I don't think would even be allowed on the track. I don't know if the Langster would be allowed either.

    You have a really odd selection. The only track bike you picked out is the Bikes Direct (Mercier Kilo TT) which is a great bike for the money. $350 is excellent price, or you can get the pro, which has better components and a brake (put on for street, take off for the track).

    Other options would be a Bianchi Pista or a Fuji Track. They are the usual default low cost option track bikes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member alexgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukewall View Post
    How can you tell what size he needs without knowing his body proportions? And I don't think they run small, looking at the geo chart the frames are pretty square.

    I don't know what size a medium is (54?, 56?) but as long as you can get the drop and reach you want without going into extreme stem sizes (<90mm or > 130mm) i'd say its ok. Go and ride the bike and see if the frame size is within reason. Don't settle for a bike if the fit isn't going to be right. Its never a good deal if it isn't going to fit you.

    The langster is a good bike despite what the fixie tarck crowd thinks.
    medium is a 54. He is six feet tall. I am six feet tall. A 58 feels a little small on me. I own a 58 langster. I am pretty sure I have a little more insight on this then you. Thinking a 54 would work on any person 6 feet tall is pretty ********.

  7. #7
    Senior Member lukewall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.
    Posts
    448
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgate View Post
    medium is a 54. He is six feet tall. I am six feet tall. A 58 feels a little small on me. I own a 58 langster. I am pretty sure I have a little more insight on this then you. Thinking a 54 would work on any person 6 feet tall is pretty ********.
    Sorry, I didn't know to assume medium is 54. Specialized didn't designate S,M,L indications on the geo charts I saw.

    Also, I didn't mean to step on your toes since you're probably a professional fitter that knows someone's proportions and preferred riding posture. Thinking someone 6' tall that likes the handling of long stems and a lot of drop might like a frame in the 54-56 range is pretty ******** on my part. I've never heard of cyclists in the pro peloton that would ever set up a bike to fit that way.

    Again sorry for questioning your logic. I'm in the market for a new bike, maybe you can help me with my fit numbers since you already have all the answers without any of the questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi View Post
    And I can't help but lol at the "heavier-set" riders I see on the trails riding around on $5000 speed machines. Nothing funnier than someone paying $4000 to shave 5 lbs when they're packing an extra 50...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 6' and ride a 56 Langster Comp and a 56 S-Works Langster. They both fit me great.

  9. #9
    Senior Member alexgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukewall View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know to assume medium is 54. Specialized didn't designate S,M,L indications on the geo charts I saw.
    ....
    I was recommending a bike based on the fact that we are similar size. Sure he can fit on 56, but a 58 is most likely going to fit him just as well if not better then a 56. But it is good you contradicted yourself " but as long as you can get the drop and reach you want without going into extreme stem sizes (<90mm or > 130mm) i'd say its ok" ............ "Thinking someone 6' tall that likes the handling of long stems and a lot of drop might like a frame in the 54-56 range is pretty ******** on my part." But hey this guy must be a seasoned pro like you are saying cause he is asking advice on langster. I am sure he needs those extreme drops so he can get in that tight aero position right?

    You know what go ahead and call any bike shop right now and ask if they have any langsters. Then when they ask what size say I dont know and tell them your 6 ft. I can 100% guarantee they will tell you a 58 but a 56 might work and that you would need to ride it to make sure. Then when your done with that show me some pro riders that are will to size down that much constantly not just for a specific race, be it time trials or what not.

    I can pm you with my number for further sizing needs for your self. I consider this expert fitting as market development and right it off as such.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •