Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    '04 SJ Comp for a Singlespeed?

    Maybe I'm crazy but I am seriously thinking of selling my $1630 Stumpjumper Comp in favor of a $500 Redline Monocog Flite. All my friends think I am insane, especially since the Stumpjumper has the Fox Terralogic F80x fork, but the deal is, I have put maybe 300mi on it in the few months I've had it, and I am getting increasingly bored by mountain biking, to the point where in the last month I put 50mi on it, 25 going to work. I used to do about 150/wk. Now I just ride my roadbike to work for miles and the Stumpjumper gets ridden on a trail about once a month.... I have SS'ed before and loved it but the bike I had was a hair to small and really crappy so its no longer with me. Anyone want to talk me out of or into selling the Stumpjumper for the Redline? I am just thinking that it will provide more challenge for me since I am faster than all my friends and just get bored really fast on the trails.

  2. #2
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other option is of course to take off the gearie crap on the SJ and run it with a Singulator, but can't say I am a fan of Singulators at all... never had very good reliability with them previously.

  3. #3
    Beausage is Beautiful Fugazi Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2006 Langster, which I actually like.
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White Industries ecccentric hub. Perfect chain tension, none of the pain of sketchy chain tensioners. Just get a new rear wheel built up.

  4. #4
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about that... for some reason a cheap bike with horizontal dropouts and a rigid fork appeals more to me... not quite sure why?

  5. #5
    Beausage is Beautiful Fugazi Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2006 Langster, which I actually like.
    Posts
    5,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The simplicity of it is definitely appealing. But if I had a solid MTB setup already with a nice frame, I wouldn't trade it in for something half the quality just for the sake of simplicity.

  6. #6
    the way we get by skitbraviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wherever the f**k I feel it
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much of it is about the places you ride and how much is it about the simplicity?
    "I can't go on, I'll go on..." —S. Beckett

    "Ta det lungnt." —Dungen

    blah blah blah...

  7. #7
    pluralis majestatis redfooj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    DEN
    My Bikes
    blue fuji, black khs, yellow giant, and a little red 'Rosa
    Posts
    2,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ill sell it for a khs solo1

  8. #8
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skitbraviking
    How much of it is about the places you ride and how much is it about the simplicity?
    Well I am really sick of working on my own bike and having to tweak the derailleurs and everything, since thats what I do all day at work. The other part is Michigan trails (well lower MI) are freakin BORING compared to the Tx trails I have been riding while at school... unfortunately I have to transfer back to MI for school now and I am stuck with the sucky boring short trails that I could navigate any bike down without much effort. I seriously don't ride bikes anymore and it sucks. Theres no place I can go on my roadbike to get out of the city without risking my life, and the mountainbiking is just freaking boring at at minimum a 20min drive. I HATE having to drive to ride.

  9. #9
    the way we get by skitbraviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wherever the f**k I feel it
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    Well I am really sick of working on my own bike and having to tweak the derailleurs and everything, since thats what I do all day at work. The other part is Michigan trails (well lower MI) are freakin BORING compared to the Tx trails I have been riding while at school... unfortunately I have to transfer back to MI for school now and I am stuck with the sucky boring short trails that I could navigate any bike down without much effort. I seriously don't ride bikes anymore and it sucks. Theres no place I can go on my roadbike to get out of the city without risking my life, and the mountainbiking is just freaking boring at at minimum a 20min drive. I HATE having to drive to ride.
    I hear you. I had some good riding out in Santa Fe and when I lived in the Chicago suburbs, I had some good trails along the Des Plaines River. Since moving into the city, I have found little to no use for my MTB. I would let your circumstances dictate to some degree. I am. I will soon by putting my Hoo-Koo-e-Koo up on Craig's List of some sh*t like that.

    For what it's worth.
    "I can't go on, I'll go on..." —S. Beckett

    "Ta det lungnt." —Dungen

    blah blah blah...

  10. #10
    The Rabbi seely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm thinking this expensive full out XC racing bike is pretty worthless to me in MI. It would have been cool back when I was a beginner but after riding vastly longer and more technical trails its such a yawn. I guess the main thing is the closest trail is a 7mi loop with 0 variations on it... no alternate routes, one-way, so after 3 laps on the Stumphumper I am bored as crap... I'm hoping the SS will tire me out faster and challenge me more, and that I can sell the SJ for about $1,000 and keep the change... maybe get a decent frame that fits me for my roadbike!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Caney Texas
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd skip the monocog and get a Karate Monkey. I know it would cost more but the monocog just seems so limiting.
    Really though, if you don't need a 'good' mountain bike, just build up a beater SS. Do it on the cheap, drop $200 or so max and call 'er good. Seems to me that you should be able to snag some used/free parts at the bike shop and make it work.
    Basically I'm saying that if you want a beater, don't drop $500 on it.

  12. #12
    the way we get by skitbraviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wherever the f**k I feel it
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
    Posts
    2,719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by familyman
    I'd skip the monocog and get a Karate Monkey. I know it would cost more but the monocog just seems so limiting.
    Really though, if you don't need a 'good' mountain bike, just build up a beater SS. Do it on the cheap, drop $200 or so max and call 'er good. Seems to me that you should be able to snag some used/free parts at the bike shop and make it work.
    Basically I'm saying that if you want a beater, don't drop $500 on it.
    But doesn't he want a monocog and that's why he started the post in the first place?
    "I can't go on, I'll go on..." —S. Beckett

    "Ta det lungnt." —Dungen

    blah blah blah...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Caney Texas
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skitbraviking
    But doesn't he want a monocog and that's why he started the post in the first place?
    See, I read it as he wants something different and a monocog is a possibility. I was just trying to help the guy out with a suggestion for something different than the something different that he thought of. Isn't that what we do around here? Somebody logs on and asks which hubs will work, then next thing you know he's got a set of Phils on order and then he realizes that the 15 year old road frame he was thinking of converting isn't what he really wants anyway so the next thing you know he's having a custom track frame built and instead of spending $60 on a new rear wheel he's dropped $4000 on a new bike.

  14. #14
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy A Track Bike.
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •