Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "Man I Love 10 Speeds"

    It made me laugh yesterday when I was stopping by the corner store next to my house.

    This guy rolls up on a purple and pink little girls x-mart MTB as I'm locking up -

    Him : Man, you got that bike all tricked out - that bike is tight! I love 10 speeds.
    Me : It's not a 10 speed. It's a 1 speed.
    Him : Whatever - 9 speed, 15 speed, 12 speed, they's all nice.
    Me : Uh, no, 1 speed. Look at it - no brakes, no coasting, no deraillers - it's a fixed gear track bike...
    Him : What? No brakes?

    Went on like that for a good couple of minutes. I just couldn't convince him that it wasn't a 10 speed. He eventually was just like "That bike is tight - I appreciate the look of 10 speeds" and rode off on what was probably his daughters bike.

  2. #2
    BFSSFG old timer riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fredrock
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have offered to let him try it out. That would have been priceless.
    Single Speed Outlaw
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  3. #3
    Senior Member bbaker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HereNT
    It made me laugh yesterday when I was stopping by the corner store next to my house.

    This guy rolls up on a purple and pink little girls x-mart MTB as I'm locking up -

    Him : Man, you got that bike all tricked out - that bike is tight! I love 10 speeds.
    Me : It's not a 10 speed. It's a 1 speed.
    Him : Whatever - 9 speed, 15 speed, 12 speed, they's all nice.
    Me : Uh, no, 1 speed. Look at it - no brakes, no coasting, no deraillers - it's a fixed gear track bike...
    Him : What? No brakes?

    Went on like that for a good couple of minutes. I just couldn't convince him that it wasn't a 10 speed. He eventually was just like "That bike is tight - I appreciate the look of 10 speeds" and rode off on what was probably his daughters bike.
    When I was a kid (during the 70's and 80's), we referred to all road bikes as 10 speeds...

    baker

  4. #4
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's funny. i've had to explain my track bike to many people. sometimes i make the mistake of saying it has no brakes....now i've learned only to say that in the right company.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ebbtide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
    Posts
    4,618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbaker22
    When I was a kid (during the 70's and 80's), we referred to all road bikes as 10 speeds...

    baker
    Yep, anything with dropbars was a ten speed. Still is to most of my friends. I think I might be the last person I know who actually owns a ten speed.....it might be 12.

  6. #6
    All Things Go s2sxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    dayton, oh
    My Bikes
    01 bianchi pista, custom. 04 felt f-15, full record.
    Posts
    1,055
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    You should have offered to let him try it out. That would have been priceless.
    Did that to one of my buddies yesterday, when he was asking me about the bike. In fact i've done it to all my friends. They're usually fine for about 20 yards, then its all over, and i'm doubled over laughing. I haven't made any of them put the clipless shoes on yet though, don't want to hurt anyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by bbaker22
    When I was a kid (during the 70's and 80's), we referred to all road bikes as 10 speeds...
    we did the same thing -- any road frame was a "10 speed" -- funny part was that NONE of the gears on the bikes i had when i was a kid worked. They had the gears for 10 or 12, but they might as well have been 1 speeds.
    Last edited by s2sxiii; 07-08-04 at 10:38 AM.

  7. #7
    Bananaed Brillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Philly-ish
    My Bikes
    2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)
    Posts
    6,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I still get that too. To almost anyone who is not tightly connected with cycling, "road bike" = "ten speed" (regardless of how many speeds it has).

    This following almost exact conversation has happened countless times:

    [Brillig mentions that he cycles]
    "On a Mountain Bike or something?"
    "No, on a road bike"
    "What do you mean? Like a ten speed??"
    "Yeah, except they have more than ten speeds now" (Brillig at this point deciding if he really wants to go through all of this or just bail).
    If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
    - Thomas De Quincey

  8. #8
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had my fixie down at the beach last weekend for a big 4th bash. I couldn’t believe how much that bike was the topic of discussion. Of course I went down with other roadies and over all out door sporting type enthusiasts. But the fact that it had one gear and no breaks was dumbfounding to many, I even got the Fred Flintstone comment So I let people try it out and after the beer flowed a bit more people were interested. I went for a ride with the roadies and it was so flat they hardly ever changed a gear and some became even more interested in my bike. Anyway the good thing is that after it was all over one person was totally hooked on fixed and wanting to build one up. I thought that was pretty cool.

    Timmhaan – yea don’t bother anymore to talk breaks on my bike. It’s even funnier when you see the look on their face when it dawns on them that your bike has no breaks!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member jimv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)
    Posts
    391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenz
    Yep, anything with dropbars was a ten speed. Still is to most of my friends. I think I might be the last person I know who actually owns a ten speed.....it might be 12.
    Ok, I'll date myself here. When I was a kid, if a bike had straight tubes, it was an 'English' or better yet, an 'English Racer'. Everything else was just a bike. I remember the first drop-barred 'English' I ever saw. I was 6 and this man (he was probably in the 9th or 10th grade) rode up to my friend Bobby and me asking how to get back to the local ritzy prep school he was attending. He was 2 blocks 'out of bounds' and was desperately trying to get back before he got caught. He had a gold Philips 10 speed (I think it was). We just thought that was the ugliest bike ;-) and asked him why his bars were upside down! About 5 years later, my older brother bought the exact same bike used and I thought he was the coolest kid on the block....

    Jim

  10. #10
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,082
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna

    Timmhaan – yea don’t bother anymore to talk breaks on my bike. It’s even funnier when you see the look on their face when it dawns on them that your bike has no breaks!!!
    One would hope that your bike wouldn't have breaks. That could be dangerous. Or did you mean "brakes"? I have to admit I'm not big on the idea of riding sans binders.


    I understand Homonyms can present an especially difficult problem in some cases because they sound alike, but the different spellings mean different things. Changing one letter in a word could alter the whole meaning of a sentence.
    Just for fun
    An Ode to the Spelling Chequer

    Prays the Lord for the spelling chequer
    That came with our pea sea!
    Mecca mistake and it puts you rite
    Its so easy to ewes, you sea.

    I never used to no, was it e before eye?
    (Four sometimes its eye before e.)
    But now I've discovered the quay to success
    It's as simple as won, too, free!

    Sew watt if you lose a letter or two,
    The whirled won't come two an end!
    Can't you sea? It's as plane as the knows on yore face
    S. Chequer's my very best friend

    I've always had trubble with letters that double
    "Is it one or to S's?" I'd wine
    But now, as I've tolled you this chequer is grate
    And its hi thyme you got won, like mine.

    —Janet E. Byford


  11. #11
    Senior Member progre-ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Poconos, PA
    My Bikes
    Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
    Posts
    1,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. Any road bike when I was a kid was a 10 speed. People I know still call them that. No matter how many times I try to explain my fixed gear bike or my singlespeed mtb, they just don't understand. They've got to try it to understand it. Yet sometimes even then, it's all a different language to them.
    80s era Miele fixie convert

    Volume Flatline bmx
    SS-converted Trek mtb
    fixed gear Dahon Boardwalk folding bike

  12. #12
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by progre-ss
    Same here. Any road bike when I was a kid was a 10 speed. People I know still call them that. No matter how many times I try to explain my fixed gear bike or my singlespeed mtb, they just don't understand. They've got to try it to understand it. Yet sometimes even then, it's all a different language to them.
    sometimes after i've been drinking a bit...i get really into educating people about bikes. one innocent comment, and they're in for a 30 minute fun filled lecture. other times, like when i'm at work or something, i just can't explain it again...urgghhh.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    at home
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F700 (converted to singlespeed), Special Ed Angst (48X18), penny farthing (aka Ordinary), Schwinn Mesa Runner (conv. ss), Lotus International fixed conversion
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i rode down on my fix to watch the csc invitation crit. and i was surprised at how many stares, comments and questions i was getting from bikers.

  14. #14
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn
    One would hope that your bike wouldn't have breaks. That could be dangerous. Or did you mean "brakes"? I have to admit I'm not big on the idea of riding sans binders.


    I understand Homonyms can present an especially difficult problem in some cases because they sound alike, but the different spellings mean different things. Changing one letter in a word could alter the whole meaning of a sentence.
    Just for fun
    An Ode to the Spelling Chequer

    Prays the Lord for the spelling chequer
    That came with our pea sea!
    Mecca mistake and it puts you rite
    Its so easy to ewes, you sea.

    I never used to no, was it e before eye?
    (Four sometimes its eye before e.)
    But now I've discovered the quay to success
    It's as simple as won, too, free!

    Sew watt if you lose a letter or two,
    The whirled won't come two an end!
    Can't you sea? It's as plane as the knows on yore face
    S. Chequer's my very best friend

    I've always had trubble with letters that double
    "Is it one or to S's?" I'd wine
    But now, as I've tolled you this chequer is grate
    And its hi thyme you got won, like mine.

    —Janet E. Byford


    Ha HA
    But seriously I am diagnosed a serious dyslexic so their/there you go

  15. #15
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,082
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna
    Ha HA
    But seriously I am diagnosed a serious dyslexic so their/there you go
    No big deal. Just having some fun with you, that's all.

  16. #16
    Senior Member gilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Brava (fixed), Nishiki Prestige (fixed), Plum Vainqueur (track), Fuji Boulevard (Single-speed)
    Posts
    520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love being asked why I need to "spend so much on a bike that doesn't even have gears? Why can't you just get an old ten speed from a garage sale?"

  17. #17
    Senior Member progre-ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Poconos, PA
    My Bikes
    Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
    Posts
    1,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilby
    I love being asked why I need to "spend so much on a bike that doesn't even have gears? Why can't you just get an old ten speed from a garage sale?"
    That's when you reply with "Why do you feel the need to spend so much money golf clubs when you can just pick up a cheap set at Walmart?" or "Why spend so much on all that fishing gear when a pole and string will do just fine?" Or "Why spend all that time on mods to your rice rocket when you can just buy an old 10 speed from a garage sale?"
    80s era Miele fixie convert

    Volume Flatline bmx
    SS-converted Trek mtb
    fixed gear Dahon Boardwalk folding bike

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    by a big river
    Posts
    2,459
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More like "Why do you have to buy a universal remote when the original ones work just fine?"

  19. #19
    secret track gearing
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one day i was working at bertucci's, and i went outside in the alley with someone to see my boss sitting on my bike, talking to someone. he see's me, and instantly starts asking questions (this was before it was fixed)

    him: "whats the deal with this bike, only a front brake? what are you going for suicide or something!?"
    me: "no, you only really need a front brake, thats as fast as your bike is possible to stop"
    him: "thats insane, your gonna go flying over the handlebars and kill yourself!"
    me: "not if you know how to use the front brake, but just wait til its fixed gear, only one gear, and you can't coast"
    him: "why the hell would you want to do that?!"
    me: "because you dont need to coast, or all those gears, or brakes for that matter"

    sometimes i like explaining it to people, and sometimes its just annoying, because most people are stubborn, and won't understand anyway, no matter how many times you explain it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •