Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-09, 10:06 AM   #1
arthurwoo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrist problems track drops

Hello All,

I've been using some track drops recently for riding around town, when I'm on the bike it feels fine, but afterwards my inner wrists are sore, which I'm assuming are from the cocked angle my wrists are at (I ride mostly the top of the drops). Has anyone else experienced this and can attribute this to the handlebars? I switched from bullhorns that angle my wrists the other way and I had no problem with those handlebars. Just wanted to see if I should change these out before my wrists get worse
arthurwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:12 AM   #2
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful
 
Fugazi Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes: 2006 Langster, which I actually like.
Posts: 5,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much/how long? It could be that the bars aren't well-suited to you, but also that the bars have you using hand positions that engage muscles that you're not used to using.
Fugazi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:16 AM   #3
robotkiller
Senior Member
 
robotkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes: Cannondale Capo and Rize
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurwoo View Post
Hello All,

I've been using some track drops recently for riding around town, when I'm on the bike it feels fine, but afterwards my inner wrists are sore, which I'm assuming are from the cocked angle my wrists are at (I ride mostly the top of the drops). Has anyone else experienced this and can attribute this to the handlebars? I switched from bullhorns that angle my wrists the other way and I had no problem with those handlebars. Just wanted to see if I should change these out before my wrists get worse
answer
robotkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:23 AM   #4
Zachee
DRUNKDRIVER
 
Zachee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MKE, WI
Bikes: Kilo TT custom
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why the hell are you gripping the bars like that in the first place?

Also as everyone else says with bike fitting. You should be able to let go of the bars and maintain the same position you were in before over your cockpit. That's how much pressure you should be putting down.
Zachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:26 AM   #5
robertv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Track drops are only comfortable in one position. You might wanna try bullhorns or road drops. I can ride on the tops of track drops no problem, it's uncomfortable but I've never had any real pain from it. That said track drops are pretty, but fairly useless.
robertv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:27 AM   #6
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what a "cocked angle" is but if your hands are in a unnatural position on the bars that can cause repetitive use injuries, yes.
And I don't think it'll get better either.

Don't value aesthetics higher than comfort and just put the old bars back on.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:28 AM   #7
arthurwoo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dave - yesterday i rode a round trip from one city to another, about 1 hour total - i've done longer rides with the bullhorns and didn't have any issues

zachee - i've seen a lot of people ride on top of track drops around the city, since i had an extra pair i thought i'd try it out to see what it was like. my handlebars / stem are lower so i'm in a more aero position, and i'd have to double check this, but i don't think i maintain the same position if i take my hands off. good tip, i'll try that.
arthurwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:31 AM   #8
arthurwoo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks roberty

rogwilco - yeah i think i will switch them out soon, i can feel it is more of a tendon/nerve issue rather than just sore muscles
arthurwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 05:38 AM   #9
feetpower
n00b
 
feetpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SGV
Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT - Grapesoda
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im no expert but im sure the wrists are not designed to bear weight when they are cocked at an upward angle. i used to ride track drops and would grip the ends when i want to be aero and then if i want to keep my hand closer to the drop brake lever, i have to move my grip up towars the center of the curve. in either grip configuration, top or bottom, i try to keep my wrists parallel to my forearms so at least the weight bears on my elbows/shoulders 'cause wrists are quite delicate.

anyway i've switched to RB-018 and couldn't be any more happier and comfortable!
feetpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 06:33 AM   #10
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer
 
Tomo_Ishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tokyo
Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo
Posts: 836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't like straight dissing of track drops for reason other than inability to do barspins. There are plenty of people using em with no mishaps. I can ride on my thing for 2-3 hours without much problem and cotton bartape on top. I don't do bar spins.

I think you guys are having problems because the bar is too low or/and too far away, or/and too narrow. This screws up your riding posture and a wrong posture gonna hurt for road drop, track drop, or even a riser and a straight bar (very unlikely I know).

You should check out a road bike manual. They talk about riding postures. Spend time tweeking it out. It's gonna take weeks to get it right. If you are lazy, go with a riser. Twisting let you adjust for all kind of positions. Best invention ever. I am lucky because I use a quill stem. (except very little choice in style)
Tomo_Ishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 06:57 AM   #11
norskagent
car dodger
 
norskagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: garner/raleigh nc
Bikes:
Posts: 3,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 38cm wide cinelli track bars curve immediately away right at the stem clamp, so if I grab them on top, it's right at the stem. I tried a wider (42cm?) nitto track bar on another bike of mine, it had a longer flat section on top before it started the curve. So it felt a little more comfortable and controlable than the cinelli bar whan my hands were up top.
__________________
1989 Schwinn Paramount OS
1980 Mclean/Silk Hope Sport Touring
1983 Bianchi pista
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
norskagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 06:59 AM   #12
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there actually any reason to use track bars on a road bike except style?
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 07:02 AM   #13
norskagent
car dodger
 
norskagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: garner/raleigh nc
Bikes:
Posts: 3,365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well if both the top flats and the drops are comfortable, yes.
__________________
1989 Schwinn Paramount OS
1980 Mclean/Silk Hope Sport Touring
1983 Bianchi pista
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
norskagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:04 AM   #14
the_don
Senior Member
 
the_don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the same problem.

It is because track drops are not designed for you to rest your hands on the tops, and some people's wrists do not like bending in the way they have to on them.

In the actual drop, I am fine, it's just the weird combination of forward and downsweep that kills my wrists.

note how the most comfortable bars have rise and backsweep.
the_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:38 AM   #15
Yo!
Senior Member
 
Yo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Track drops rule. I don't get wrist pain per se, but I do feel the need to frequently change my hand position after longer rides.
Yo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 08:51 AM   #16
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951
Posts: 6,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
staying with track drops would make a lot of sense.
__________________

α
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:33 AM   #17
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
Is there actually any reason to use track bars on a road bike except style?
No, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever. Even few track racers use track drops these days. They were nearly impossible to find no more than five years ago, but since the fixed gear explosion, everyone's making some uncomfortable hipster-approved bars.

Last edited by bonechilling; 08-25-09 at 09:59 AM.
bonechilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:54 AM   #18
Yo!
Senior Member
 
Yo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hahha this is ridiculous.

Everyone running drops is a loser, ftw!


Bonechilling, what are track racers using if they're not using track drops? I don't ever seem to recall seeing anything but drops in keirin races.
Yo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:58 AM   #19
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung
 
bonechilling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5,694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's because that's all keirin racers are allowed to use, and because keirin is a sprint event (the only event that track drops are useful for).

Most track racers use conventional road bars.
bonechilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 09:58 AM   #20
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!
 
ilikebikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"
Bikes: to many to list
Posts: 6,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotkiller View Post
answer
+1, the answer is right there.
__________________
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
ilikebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 08:35 AM   #21
skinnyland
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you grip track drops near the stem on on the shoulders, it bends your wrists so that the pinky is lower than the thumb. This is the opposite of anatomically correct. I suggest you either:
use your handlebars properly; or
replace them with different bars.
skinnyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 01:19 AM   #22
arthurwoo
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo_Ishi View Post
I think you guys are having problems because the bar is too low or/and too far away, or/and too narrow. This screws up your riding posture and a wrong posture gonna hurt for road drop, track drop, or even a riser and a straight bar (very unlikely I know).

You should check out a road bike manual. They talk about riding postures. Spend time tweeking it out. It's gonna take weeks to get it right. If you are lazy, go with a riser. Twisting let you adjust for all kind of positions. Best invention ever. I am lucky because I use a quill stem. (except very little choice in style)
Thanks Tomo. Thanks everyone else, very helpful. I actually have played a lot with different stem lengths/heights/handlebars and frankly, I don't want to buy every single stem out there in order to figure out the right height. I ended up getting some gusset handlebars (well, a cheap knock off) and it's the most comfortable ride ever. Huge rise and sweep back. I had some nitto risers and some soma risers before but these are the most comfortable.
arthurwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 01:35 AM   #23
inertiadreamer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Masi & Peugeot
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo_Ishi View Post
I don't like straight dissing of track drops for reason other than inability to do barspins. There are plenty of people using em with no mishaps. I can ride on my thing for 2-3 hours without much problem and cotton bartape on top. I don't do bar spins.

I think you guys are having problems because the bar is too low or/and too far away, or/and too narrow. This screws up your riding posture and a wrong posture gonna hurt for road drop, track drop, or even a riser and a straight bar (very unlikely I know).

You should check out a road bike manual. They talk about riding postures. Spend time tweeking it out. It's gonna take weeks to get it right. If you are lazy, go with a riser. Twisting let you adjust for all kind of positions. Best invention ever. I am lucky because I use a quill stem. (except very little choice in style)
+1 agreed

Also not all track drops are the same. For example Nitto NJS compared to Deda drops, the curve going down to the drops is a bit sharper on Nitto's making the angle more severe to hold onto. It can make a bit of a difference, I ride Deda's at every hand position and personally love them. That said it seems most people can't ride the same way due to their wrists, so if it doesn't work for you just switch to something that does.
inertiadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 08:11 AM   #24
nightfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bars hurt your wrists, get new bars.

Next question.

I wouldn't screw around with this as wrist pain can be hard to get rid of once you have it. I had a similiar issue compounded by the fact that I sit at the computer a million hours a day and ended up with a different bike with risers and Ergon grips eventually. Tried a ton of stems and bars and never got comfortable. Ergons were the biggest improvement by far. They distribute the pressure much better but don't look as cool as Ourys. Better to be able to ride without pain.
nightfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 08:43 AM   #25
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechilling View Post
Most track racers use conventional road bars.
I disagree. I don't and most of the other guys and gals I see at the track don't either. I ride all events, including the longer ones like long scratch races. The only time I ride on the tops close to the stem is when I'm warming up or have given up in a race and surrendered. Road bars are not good when you get out of the saddle to accelerate while holding onto the drops and the tops get in the way of your forearms.

My Bianchi Pista Concept came standard with track drops (Deda Elementi Pista), and they are quite easy to find online ( http://www.worldclasscycles.com/deda_track_alloy.htm ).

Now, as to using them on a road fixed gear is IMO downright silly.
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 AM.