Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-09, 12:15 PM   #1
kahoon
who's yer daddy?
Thread Starter
 
kahoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Bikes: '13 Parlee Z5 SLi, '12 Cervelo S5, '11 Cervelo Norwegian S3
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crank/Chainring/Chain/Cog/??? Problem!??

Thanks in advance for your help!

For the life of me I can't seem to figure this one out! I have a stock Felt TK3 with a driveline thats completely out of whack. My chain seems to be very loose in one position of the cranks, and very tight 180 degrees from that position Initially, I was pretty sure that my chainring was not perfectly round (albeit very not perfectly round), so I rotated it a notch on the crank to see if the situation changes, and it didn't! I tried rotating the chain to a new postion, still nothing. ratation the cog, also nothing. Now I'm suspecting that my Crank spider is the culprit! Maybe one of its legs is out of whack!

What do you guys think?

Thanks again
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 12:24 PM   #2
jpdesjar
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It sounds like it's your chainring needs to be centered.
What type of crank/chainring do you have?
Loosen the chainring bolts and make sure the ring is centered, then tighten them down skipping every other one.

Also, I think most chainrings are not perfeclty round. Higher quality rings are more round than cheaper ones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 12:31 PM   #3
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#tension
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 12:40 PM   #4
kahoon
who's yer daddy?
Thread Starter
 
kahoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Bikes: '13 Parlee Z5 SLi, '12 Cervelo S5, '11 Cervelo Norwegian S3
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdesjar View Post
It sounds like it's your chainring needs to be centered.
What type of crank/chainring do you have?
Loosen the chainring bolts and make sure the ring is centered, then tighten them down skipping every other one.
I've already tried that according to Sheldon's article, but there doesn't seem to be much movement in the chainring. Besides, the difference in tightness in the chain is far more than a re-centering could fix.

I have the stock Felt Crank/Chainring, 144BCD, 48tooth and 3/32 chainring.

Any other idea's?
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 12:44 PM   #5
jpdesjar
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon View Post
I've already tried that according to Sheldon's article, but there doesn't seem to be much movement in the chainring. Besides, the difference in tightness in the chain is far more than a re-centering could fix.

I have the stock Felt Crank/Chainring, 144BCD, 48tooth and 3/32 chainring.

Any other idea's?
I can't really think of what else could be the cause of this tension problem.
I just thought it was normal for a chain to be taught in one position and loose in another due to the chainring. How does it feel when you ride?
Perhaps your chain is too tight?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 12:54 PM   #6
kahoon
who's yer daddy?
Thread Starter
 
kahoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Bikes: '13 Parlee Z5 SLi, '12 Cervelo S5, '11 Cervelo Norwegian S3
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdesjar View Post
I can't really think of what else could be the cause of this tension problem.
I just thought it was normal for a chain to be taught in one position and loose in another due to the chainring. How does it feel when you ride?
Perhaps your chain is too tight?
actually its the opposite. i'm worried that the chain is too loose. i cant tighten it any more because that causes the tight spot in the chain to be WAY too tight.

the bike rides fine with no issue.
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.