Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-09, 10:03 PM   #1
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sugino 75s vs. Alien cranks-

Interested in going to some 144 bcds (currenty 130 bcd road crank) and have looked at several brands like Soma, Alien, and Sugino.

How do the Alien cranks compare with the more expensive brands mentioned?

Also, why to the 75's cost so much??
__________________
"How did all those 'Keep Off the Grass' signs get there?"
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:07 PM   #2
krio
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Three letters NJS
krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:13 PM   #3
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951
Posts: 6,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
..
__________________

α
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:15 PM   #4
tall&lanky
...
 
tall&lanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes: IRO mark V
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aliens (along with IRO'S) are rebranded andel's.

75's are expensive because they're quality, andel's are really good for the price though, better than sugino rd's and stuff. also they look good imo.

keep an eye out for 75's on ebay, I got my set for 120.
tall&lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:15 PM   #5
mrvile
The bus, Gus
 
mrvile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^ r:RIDE l:HARD

EDIT: oops that was regarding adriano's post.
mrvile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 10:18 PM   #6
pancake4life
Breakfast in America
 
pancake4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought hipsters only wore mess bags...
pancake4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 02:26 AM   #7
Sincitycycler
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sincitycycler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: "Gosh honey, you pass more like Tony Rominger..."
Bikes: 2005 Scott CR1 Pro - 1992 Panasonix Fixed Conversion 60tx20t
Posts: 3,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about these All-City cranksets? Are these made my Andel/Alien too?

__________________
"How did all those 'Keep Off the Grass' signs get there?"
Sincitycycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:25 AM   #8
WoundedKnee
Antarctica awaits
 
WoundedKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tucson, Zona
Bikes:
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a hipster?
WoundedKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 09:34 AM   #9
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall&lanky View Post
aliens (along with IRO'S) are rebranded andel's.

75's are expensive because they're quality, andel's are really good for the price though, better than sugino rd's and stuff. also they look good imo.

keep an eye out for 75's on ebay, I got my set for 120.
My Wabi has Andel cranks, and outside of this forum, no one seems to have heard of them. I agree that they look good, and have no complaints as far as performance.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 12:01 PM   #10
jimbro
just another A-hole
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Honozulu
Bikes: Unknown Ishiwata Framed bike, Giant DS2, Walmart Cruiser
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the Soma Hellyer and the 75's, I've got both, the 75's have clean lines, and the Hellyer has got a sexy Chainring; it's also couple hundred cheaper...
jimbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 12:03 PM   #11
jimbro
just another A-hole
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Honozulu
Bikes: Unknown Ishiwata Framed bike, Giant DS2, Walmart Cruiser
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can a brand new set of 75's with chainring for $254 shipped on bikeisland...
jimbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 01:16 PM   #12
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
You can a brand new set of 75's with chainring for $254 shipped on bikeisland...
Don't bother.

75s are an anachronism like all other NJS parts..overpriced and obsolete. If you want real track cranks, get the SRAM Omniums on the same website. They are lighter, stiffer, cheaper and designed around newer technologies.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 01:25 PM   #13
pancake4life
Breakfast in America
 
pancake4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1
75's look better though
pancake4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 02:02 PM   #14
krio
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I disagree with that i think the omniums look better than the 75s
krio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 02:18 PM   #15
Yo!
Senior Member
 
Yo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sugino 75's are hardly obsolete.

I couldn't get Omniums to fit on my keirin frame without chainstay interference.

Krio, you should reassess after you've held both sets in your hands.
Yo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 02:22 PM   #16
beeftech
Senior Member
 
beeftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn finally.
Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, fixed
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Don't bother.

75s are an anachronism like all other NJS parts..overpriced and obsolete. If you want real track cranks, get the SRAM Omniums on the same website. They are lighter, stiffer, cheaper and designed around newer technologies.
I get tired of hearing this.
While NJS alone should never be used as a sign of quality. The 75's are still an excellent crank, as are many NJS parts.
I will agree that most parts with the stamp are over priced as of late, but it doesn't mean they suck.
The parts still work just fine, and for the right price are totally worth it.
beeftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:17 PM   #17
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeftech View Post
I get tired of hearing this.
While NJS alone should never be used as a sign of quality. The 75's are still an excellent crank, as are many NJS parts.
I will agree that most parts with the stamp are over priced as of late, but it doesn't mean they suck.
The parts still work just fine, and for the right price are totally worth it.
Would you rather hear the truth, or more nonsense deifying NJS?
Sugino 75 cranks are very nice cranks. However, they are fundamentally a basic aluminum square taper crankset. They are not nearly worth what they cost, and given the NJS imposed design constraints (namely the square taper BB), will never be the stiffest or lightest. You can find, better, lighter, stiffer cranks for WAY WAY less money. I own a pair of 75s and like them but given the alternatives available now, would never buy another pair unless the price can down dramatically.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 03:40 PM   #18
Deshi 
Senior Member
 
Deshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Bikes: 1990 Waterford Paramount, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2001 Surly 1x1, 2014 Canfield N9, 2015 Canfield Balance, 2013 Rocky Mtn Flatline, 2012 Intense SS2, 2014 Transition Klunker, + more!
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the Alien cranks look cheap and hoaky.



I do think the 75's are some of the best looking cranks out there. I have not owned a set so I can not comment on performance. I have however owned a set of Ominum's are must say, ther were horrible on the street. They did amazing for a few months. The bearings started to develop slop and play after only 3 months. They were amazing for the first 2 months but they are not designed to withstand the rigors of riding fixed on the street.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:00 PM   #19
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
I think the Alien cranks look cheap and hoaky.



I do think the 75's are some of the best looking cranks out there. I have not owned a set so I can not comment on performance. I have however owned a set of Ominum's are must say, ther were horrible on the street. They did amazing for a few months. The bearings started to develop slop and play after only 3 months. They were amazing for the first 2 months but they are not designed to withstand the rigors of riding fixed on the street.
Yet, they can handle the rigors of elite track sprinting. What nonsense. Are you sure the BB was installed correctly, because the BB is the same as used on SRAMs road cranks, which hold up fine.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:25 PM   #20
beeftech
Senior Member
 
beeftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn finally.
Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, fixed
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Would you rather hear the truth, or more nonsense deifying NJS?
Sugino 75 cranks are very nice cranks. However, they are fundamentally a basic aluminum square taper crankset. They are not nearly worth what they cost, and given the NJS imposed design constraints (namely the square taper BB), will never be the stiffest or lightest. You can find, better, lighter, stiffer cranks for WAY WAY less money. I own a pair of 75s and like them but given the alternatives available now, would never buy another pair unless the price can down dramatically.
Thanks for practically repeating what I said.
beeftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:35 PM   #21
Deshi 
Senior Member
 
Deshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Bikes: 1990 Waterford Paramount, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2001 Surly 1x1, 2014 Canfield N9, 2015 Canfield Balance, 2013 Rocky Mtn Flatline, 2012 Intense SS2, 2014 Transition Klunker, + more!
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Yet, they can handle the rigors of elite track sprinting. What nonsense. Are you sure the BB was installed correctly, because the BB is the same as used on SRAMs road cranks, which hold up fine.
Yes I am sure they were installed correctly. You forgot to think about the amount of stress back pedaling puts on a crank and BB so saying their road cranks hold up fine doesnt matter. A road crank doesnt see the same forces in the same areas. It is also done on the track I know but when riding on the street it is done alot more. Think of it as one day on the street is like a season of racing on the track. You equipment gets alot more use on the street. Things tend to wear out when used.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:47 PM   #22
erichsia
thread derailleur
 
erichsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: beyond Thunderdome
Bikes: 82 Bianchi ECO Pista, Pake, Kilo TT, some *** bmx i found underneath an old house
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Yet, they can handle the rigors of elite track sprinting. What nonsense. Are you sure the BB was installed correctly, because the BB is the same as used on SRAMs road cranks, which hold up fine.
does the stress placed by track sprinting on a banked slope equal or surpass that of riding over uneven and possibly hazardous street terrain? Honest question, not trying to make a point.

Last edited by erichsia; 12-02-09 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling
erichsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:52 PM   #23
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951
Posts: 6,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i vote for those 130bcd road cranks.
__________________

α
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 04:55 PM   #24
Yo!
Senior Member
 
Yo!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hahhaha, nah, go ashtabula.
Yo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 05:50 PM   #25
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know the answer to your question, exactly, and no one would without some very technical research. However, bumps and potholes are not really what matters to the BB as much as how clean the bearings are kept and the amount and extent of riding. The direction of torque/force/rotation/whatever makes no difference to the BB. I have used SRAM cranks w/ GXP external bearing bottom brackets and in my experience they are quite robust. Track sprinters exert extreme amounts of force on their BBs. Also consider that tracks are not always very smooth, particularly at speed. Kissena is rougher than many roads I ride my track bike on.

I have never used Omnium, so I can't write specifically about their quality, however, the argument that they are fine for pros but too weak for fixie hipsters is nonsense. I think its hillarious when average fixie hipsters think they are so badass they need stronger and higher quality parts than professionals.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 AM.