Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Would this be worth it?? Schwinn LeTour FG

    Looks like it was built good...Thoughts??? $225 53/19 gears.



    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/1495990957.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member beeftech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn finally.
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Jose, fixed
    Posts
    832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crap

  3. #3
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,194
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI it's a conversion.... not a true track bike if you didn't know....

    Anyway from the looks of the pics; the components/wheelset/tires look pretty fresh and the frame&paint looks good.

    I would say $250 is reasonable after all it's all ready to ride and it looks solid [ALWAYS test ride a bike!!!!].

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    FYI it's a conversion.... not a true track bike if you didn't know....

    Anyway from the looks of the pics; the components/wheelset/tires look pretty fresh and the frame&paint looks good.

    I would say $250 is reasonable after all it's all ready to ride and it looks solid [ALWAYS test ride a bike!!!!].

    Yes I know it is not a true track...but for fun to cruise around town?? I would offer $175 to him..if everything feels right and looks right at the showing and test ride.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beeftech View Post
    crap
    OK and why?

  6. #6
    Senior Member beeftech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn finally.
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Jose, fixed
    Posts
    832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waaaaaaay over priced, even at 175.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beeftech View Post
    waaaaaaay over priced, even at 175.
    Even if everything is brand spanking new??? I see your point.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy has 3 other FG bikes.... IMO all over priced.

  9. #9
    Elitest Murray Owner Mos6502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster
    Posts
    2,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About $100 too much. For that price you may as well find your own le tour for $30 or so and build it up yourself.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mos6502 View Post
    About $100 too much. For that price you may as well find your own le tour for $30 or so and build it up yourself.

    Yeah I'm going to different garage sales tomorrow and see if they have a bike i could convert. That bike does look nice...I would low ball him for sure. You should see his other bikes...all over priced!

  11. #11
    I just wanna ride stryper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chico Califo
    My Bikes
    2013 BMC Impec
    Posts
    1,033
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya, the wheels are bottom of the barrel. Cranks are a piece of sh**. You can't replace the chainring without replacing the whole thing. And the seat is probably crap too. But it will probably ride fine, and get you from here to there without issue. It'd probably due you all right if your a casual rider

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stryper View Post
    ya, the wheels are bottom of the barrel. Cranks are a piece of sh**. You can't replace the chainring without replacing the whole thing. And the seat is probably crap too. But it will probably ride fine, and get you from here to there without issue. It'd probably due you all right if your a casual rider

    Thanks for that. I would do better building my own...I think he feels the paint job and matching tires will sell the bike...IMO.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how he says I have some bullhorns for an extra 15 bucks??? LOL

  14. #14
    Pants are for suckaz HandsomeRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mt. Airy, MD
    My Bikes
    Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that money you are well on your way to a brand new bike.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus OH
    My Bikes
    Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link cool bikes!...I would like an old school conversion..I have a brand new bike! Though not a FG!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
    For that money you are well on your way to a brand new bike.
    Indeed.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would save up a bit more and get a kilo tt from bikesdirect. its going to be a whole hell of alot lighter, and has parts that are just as good as bikes costing twice as much(aside from the hubs)

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can probably do better. Convert one yourself- it won't be much cheaper if at all, but it's more fun and it'll be yours.

  19. #19
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,194
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
    Convert one yourself- it won't be much cheaper if at all
    it's best you disregard this guy's^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ post....

    A conversion is the best friend for a tight budget; everybody can save some money these days.

    All you need is a rear wheel and some basic tools or just brute force to tear out the old gear stuff on a potential conversion/ ANY BIKE....

    Plus, I'm pretty sure those pretty good kilo tt wheelsets are plentiful with so many hipsters swapping 'em out for deep v's and composite wheelz

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    it's best you disregard this guy's^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ post....

    A conversion is the best friend for a tight budget; everybody can save some money these days.

    All you need is a rear wheel and some basic tools or just brute force to tear out the old gear stuff on a potential conversion/ ANY BIKE....

    Plus, I'm pretty sure those pretty good kilo tt wheelsets are plentiful with so many hipsters swapping 'em out for deep v's and composite wheelz
    Dicks, eat them.

    Your supposedly better advice is to use "brute force to tear out all the old gear stuff"? What the **** are you talking about?

    In my opinion, buying a bike part by part does not save you any money generally despite the fact that you are doing the labor yourself. It is generally cheaper to buy something already put together, be it a bike shop conversion or a bikesdirect new bike. That is not to say you shouldn't build your own, just don't expect to save tons of money.

  21. #21
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,637
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you can get a good deal on a bike, or have one already, a conversion is dirt cheap. All it takes to turn 90% of bikes (with horizontal dropouts) into a fixed gear is a new rear wheel and a pair of short stack chainring bolts. It isn't hard to get that for about $100. The crankset can be reused, as can the bottom bracket. Running the chainring on the inside usually gives a damn near perfect chainline.

  22. #22
    Breakfast in America pancake4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
    Dicks, eat them.

    Your supposedly better advice is to use "brute force to tear out all the old gear stuff"? What the **** are you talking about?

    In my opinion, buying a bike part by part does not save you any money generally despite the fact that you are doing the labor yourself. It is generally cheaper to buy something already put together, be it a bike shop conversion or a bikesdirect new bike. That is not to say you shouldn't build your own, just don't expect to save tons of money.


    you can easily build a decent conversion for under $200.
    part by part? What are you talking about?

    Happypills is right.

  23. #23
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,194
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
    Your supposedly better advice is to use "brute force to tear out all the old gear stuff"? What the **** are you talking about?
    You must not have a good imagination or reasoning skills; such a shame. Here, let me simplify what I'm saying; you do not need to spend any money to acquire/buy special tools/ hire a professional bike person to remove old components from a potential conversion; basic tools and the use of muscles is all you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
    Dicks, eat them.
    Sorry, I'll pass on your suggestion; our diets must be different. But hey; if you prefer consuming human genitalia good for you!


    Quote Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
    Convert one yourself- it won't be much cheaper if at all, but it's more fun and it'll be yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
    In my opinion, buying a bike part by part does not save you any money generally despite the fact that you are doing the labor yourself.
    Now I thought you said that was the fun part.....

    Quote Originally Posted by pancake4life View Post
    Happypills is right.
    And now the other/opposing party is wrong.
    Last edited by Leukybear; 12-06-09 at 10:07 PM. Reason: I made it easier for someone..... I wonder who has a problem understanding my common idiom .

  24. #24
    Breakfast in America pancake4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    Sorry, I'll pass on your suggestion; our diets must be different.
    That made me a chuckle

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY or Champaign, IL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn World Sport
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    You must not have a good imagination or reasoning skills; such a shame. Here, let me simplify what I'm saying; you do not need to spend any money to acquire/buy special tools/ hire a professional bike person to remove old components from a potential conversion; basic tools and the use of muscles is all you need.



    Sorry, I'll pass on your suggestion; our diets must be different. But hey; if you prefer consuming human genitalia good for you!






    Now I thought you said that was the fun part.....



    And now the other/opposing party is wrong.
    not specifically directed towards you happypills, but why must everyone in this forum always have something smart to say rather than actually being helpful

    also to the OP, i think the price of the bike is rather reasonably price compared to the prices i see here in chambana and nyc.

    you should really take a look at the crap they try selling in NYC and the prices. frigging redick. hence why i am shipping a bike from chambana to nyc.

    depending on the parts he used, it might be a good deal, either way its not bad. If you like some of the parts you can always swap them out. and if i am not mistaken, le tours were suppose to be mid-end bikes back in their day. but overall, they have a good reputation amongst the older folk i have spoken to, dispite the popular opinion of the majority of riders here who jump on older steel frames.

    and if you're are making a cheap beater conversion maybe you can do it under $100, but wheelset alone cost me $130, then with everything else, i ended up spending $285 on my conversion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •