Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-09, 12:55 AM   #1
Shakezoola
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lockring not on properly?

my new single speed with flip flop hub.





Im using it as a freewheel right now but on the other side of the hub, the lockring came off the threads. its still there but not screwed on properly
is that safe?

I have brakes and im not riding fixed right now so it should be okay right?
Shakezoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 01:09 AM   #2
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing
 
PedallingATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 2,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakezoola View Post
my new single speed with flip flop hub.





Im using it as a freewheel right now but on the other side of the hub, the lockring came off the threads. its still there but not screwed on properly
is that safe?

I have brakes and im not riding fixed right now so it should be okay right?

yeah, if you're using the FW side of the hub, it doesn't matter if the lockring comes loose on the other side. You might want to tighten it on just so it doesnt stay loose and rattle around back there, though. Enjoy your new bike. Try riding on the FG side sometime (but tighten that lockring if you do!)
PedallingATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 05:23 AM   #3
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz
 
HandsomeRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mt. Airy, MD
Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ATX is correct.

If you ride the fixed side before tightening the lockring you can strip the hub though. As long as you are riding the SS side no worries.
HandsomeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 07:55 AM   #4
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Righty tighty lefty loosey does not apply to pedals and fixed gear hubs.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 11:30 AM   #5
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's not what he's asking.

The loose lockring on the left side isn't going to be a safety hazard, but leave it flopping around like that and you risk damaging the cog/lockring threads on that side. Tighten it on, or remove it.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 12:11 PM   #6
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz
 
HandsomeRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mt. Airy, MD
Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike
Posts: 2,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Righty tighty lefty loosey does not apply to pedals and fixed gear hubs.
...or bottom brackets.
HandsomeRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 12:16 PM   #7
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
...or bottom brackets.
Oh crap!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 12:49 PM   #8
atoms
Seņor Member
 
atoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Righty tighty lefty loosey does not apply to pedals and fixed gear hubs.
It applies half of the time doesn't it?
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 01:08 PM   #9
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoms View Post
It applies half of the time doesn't it?
Well yeah. And a stopped clock is right twice a day, which is at least one time more than me, usually.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 01:17 PM   #10
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
...or bottom brackets.
...except Italian
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 02:20 PM   #11
ismellfish2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan View Post
^ATX is correct.

If you ride the fixed side before tightening the lockring you can strip the hub though. As long as you are riding the SS side no worries.
Why is this? I don't think my lockring even touches the cog- it's just there to catch the cog if it breaks loose and starts to unscrew. Therefore, I wouldn't think a loose lockring would affect the cog and the hub threads, you just wouldn't have a failsafe. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've seen stripped hubs, but I never really understood how that happened.
ismellfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 02:30 PM   #12
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
Why is this? I don't think my lockring even touches the cog- it's just there to catch the cog if it breaks loose and starts to unscrew. Therefore, I wouldn't think a loose lockring would affect the cog and the hub threads, you just wouldn't have a failsafe. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've seen stripped hubs, but I never really understood how that happened.
Are you sure about that?
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 02:56 PM   #13
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
Why is this? I don't think my lockring even touches the cog- it's just there to catch the cog if it breaks loose and starts to unscrew. Therefore, I wouldn't think a loose lockring would affect the cog and the hub threads, you just wouldn't have a failsafe. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've seen stripped hubs, but I never really understood how that happened.
If that is true, and I doubt that it is, something is installed incorrectly. The lockring is indeed there to prevent the cog from unscrewing, but it should threaded all the way on so that it is flush against the cog and tightened. This will prevent the cog from breaking loose altogether.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 02:59 PM   #14
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakezoola View Post
Im using it as a freewheel right now but on the other side of the hub, the lockring came off the threads. its still there but not screwed on properly
is that safe?
I don't know, what do you think? I wouldn't ride it around like that. The jostling around could damage the threads. Its worth noting that it would have taken you less time to remove it or thread it on than it would have for you to start this thread.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:50 AM   #15
ismellfish2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That was my original assumption about how it worked. I threaded the cog all the way down, then ran the lockring on and tightened it against the end of the threading. When I rode it, it had play when I'd switch from forward pedaling to resisting- the cog was bouncing back and forth between being threaded as far as it could go, and being unthreaded to where it hit the lockring. I took it by the LBS and he showed me the trick where you wrap the chain around the bottom bracket and wrap it the wrong way around the cog, so you can grab the wheel and get good leverage to tighten the cog.

Since then it's been great. The LBS didn't touch the lockring. He had the above concept of how the lockring works. It's a Formula hub, nothing unusual. It's possible that I'm wrong about how the bike is set up, but I doubt it. I built it. I should say that the lockring is exceedingly close to the cog- it looks pretty much like it's touching, but I don't think it's holding much torque against the cog.
ismellfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 10:23 AM   #16
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
Why is this? I don't think my lockring even touches the cog- it's just there to catch the cog if it breaks loose and starts to unscrew. Therefore, I wouldn't think a loose lockring would affect the cog and the hub threads, you just wouldn't have a failsafe. I'm not saying you're wrong, I've seen stripped hubs, but I never really understood how that happened.
This is true for the most part if you do not solely rely on backpedaling for stopping power.

I run fixed cogs on my spare wheelsets with no lockrings. As long as you're using a quality cog properly secured and running a brake there is not a problem in running sans lockring. Even with occasional heavy backpedaling I've never had a fixed cog without lockring come loose on me.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 10:38 AM   #17
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
This is true for the most part if you do not solely rely on backpedaling for stopping power.

I run fixed cogs on my spare wheelsets with no lockrings. As long as you're using a quality cog properly secured and running a brake there is not a problem in running sans lockring. Even with occasional heavy backpedaling I've never had a fixed cog without lockring come loose on me.
To me, that just defies logic.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 10:42 AM   #18
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
To me, that just defies logic.
You mean the no lockring part?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 12:07 PM   #19
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
You mean the no lockring part?
Well, a cog is just a threaded nut. The lockring is part of the hub for a reason.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 12:17 PM   #20
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well, a cog is just a threaded nut. The lockring is part of the hub for a reason.
True, but if you know your equipment well and their limitations, you can get away with many things.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 12:36 PM   #21
Aaron_F
A guy who rides bikes
 
Aaron_F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mid-Missouri
Bikes:
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're not using the fixed gear cog, I'd just remove it and the lockring and store them somewhere for future use.
Aaron_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 02:47 PM   #22
ismellfish2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well, a cog is just a threaded nut. The lockring is part of the hub for a reason.
The idea as I understand it is, the torque applied to tighten the cog = the amount of torque required to break it loose. Therefore, if you use the leverage of the wheel to torque it down, you've got about 14" of lever, as opposed to the 7 or so you'll have with the crank. So, if you really run the thing on there, it shouldn't ever come off no matter what you do riding it. However, theory does not always cover what can happen in practice, so I'll always want the lockring in place.
ismellfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 04:32 PM   #23
sam83
On Two Wheels
 
sam83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=ismellfish2;10140122] The LBS didn't touch the lockring. QUOTE]


Any reputable mechanic would tighten the lockring. And any hack would tighten it if it was there. Perhaps they did it when you weren't looking.
sam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 04:42 PM   #24
sam83
On Two Wheels
 
sam83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Middle Tennessee
Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismellfish2 View Post
The idea as I understand it is, the torque applied to tighten the cog = the amount of torque required to break it loose. Therefore, if you use the leverage of the wheel to torque it down, you've got about 14" of lever, as opposed to the 7 or so you'll have with the crank. So, if you really run the thing on there, it shouldn't ever come off no matter what you do riding it. However, theory does not always cover what can happen in practice, so I'll always want the lockring in place.
You're only half there. It only takes roughly twice the force on a 7" lever to overcome the force applied to a 14" lever. And the lever is still the wheel anyway.

From your other post indicating that the lockring looks to be touching the cog, I suspect that the lockring has been tightened.
sam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 05:02 PM   #25
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
To me, that just defies logic.
It seems that way, but it can work. I recently switched out my 19 cog and it would not come off; I tried, skidding, backpedaling, a chainwhip, and rotafix. I finally went over to the lbs because I needed a second guy to hold the wheel while I used a chainwhip + pipe extension. Maybe if I rode on it long enough the repetative back pressure could loosen it up, but maybe over many miles.

I can only guess it was so tight from taking the bike on some long climbs around here.
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.