Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-10, 06:22 PM   #1
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Broken Presta valve

Ok. My dumb a** bought an air pump since my tires were not completely inflated to 110psi (the rating on the side of the tire). I put on the head for presta valves and tried putting it on to the valve head to inflate the tire. But.....my tire became deflated instead....

long and frustrating story short, the brass cape on my presta valve broke off. Do I need a new valve/tube all together? Or is it still possible for me to inflate but not to deflate?
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:26 PM   #2
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,660
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
It happens sometimes even with brand new tubes.
You need a new tube.
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:37 PM   #3
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gahhhhhhhh. This aint even teh second day ive had it. wtf.
O well. do u think its possible to get tubes with schrader valves? I feel more comfortable inflating those ones XD
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:41 PM   #4
erichsia
thread derailleur
 
erichsia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: beyond Thunderdome
Bikes: 82 Bianchi ECO Pista, Pake, Kilo TT, some *** bmx i found underneath an old house
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can find them, but can your rim fit them? that's the real question.
erichsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:42 PM   #5
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,157
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Here's something to keep in mind..... the maximum psi includes you on the bike too in addition to the air pressure in the tire already.....


~~~~ By the way have you guys ever seen a tube with a two piece presta valve? (like the top part can be screwed off) I recently had mine changed at random BS after a flat and they installed one of these... I realized it when I screwed off the presta adapter for my floor pump and it screwed off the top part of the presta valve too (releasing all the air).... I was able to rescrew it back anyway
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:44 PM   #6
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs View Post
O well. do u think its possible to get tubes with schrader valves? I feel more comfortable inflating those ones XD
Yes, but you may have to drill out the valve hole in your rim for the larger valve stem.
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:49 PM   #7
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
~~~~ By the way have you guys ever seen a tube with a two piece presta valve? (like the top part can be screwed off)
Some tubes have a presta valve core that can be screwed out and replaced if it goes bad. It has two flats on the sides for screwing in or out with a small crescent wrench or a little plastic tool made by TUFO. I always save the valve cores from my old bad tubes as spares.
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 06:55 PM   #8
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,157
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Some tubes have a presta valve core that can be screwed out and replaced if it goes bad. It has two flats on the sides for screwing in or out with a small crescent wrench or a little plastic tool made by TUFO. I always save the valve cores from my old bad tubes as spares.
Yea I saw that with closer examination and screwed it on tighter with needle nosed pliers
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 07:20 PM   #9
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
btw. I was looking on bikeisland, a site I trust because it was referred by bikesdirect, had a shrader valve tubing for a 700cc bicycle. haha. One question....what exactly are the advantages of presta vs schrader? vis versa? if any at all?
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 07:23 PM   #10
bigvegan
Senior Member
 
bigvegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Yes, but you may have to drill out the valve hole in your rim for the larger valve stem.
Do not do this, unless you're ONLY going to use schrader valved tubes. Otherwise, if you use presta valves in schrader holes, and don't take the time to find some metal sleeves to fit over the valves, some of the tube can fit through the hole and you risk random flats.

Just leave the presta valves on, and learn how to use your pump properly.
bigvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 07:44 PM   #11
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,157
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs View Post
what exactly are the advantages of presta vs schrader? vis versa? if any at all?
Off the top of my head;
there are way more rims that support presta (especially the high end like mavic)....
presta valves allow for easier and more accurate modification (the lowering of mostly) of air pressure in tires "on the go"
presta valves hold air better as you hand screw the top tight?
~the need for an adapter for a presta valve can be avoided with a pump that has built in support for presta valve
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 07:40 AM   #12
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
Off the top of my head;
there are way more rims that support presta (especially the high end like mavic)....
presta valves allow for easier and more accurate modification (the lowering of mostly) of air pressure in tires "on the go"
presta valves hold air better as you hand screw the top tight?
~the need for an adapter for a presta valve can be avoided with a pump that has built in support for presta valve
And you don't need to drill a hole quite as large in your narrow rim.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 08:33 AM   #13
ADSR
Gentlemen.
 
ADSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chico, CA
Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure this guy is messing with us. The only time someone types like that is when it ends in Chris Hanson assuring a disheveled man that "Tiffany" doesn't exist, and that he's on Dateline.
ADSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 08:51 AM   #14
ichitz
Nü-Fred
 
ichitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvegan View Post
Do not do this, unless you're ONLY going to use schrader valved tubes. Otherwise, if you use presta valves in schrader holes, and don't take the time to find some metal sleeves to fit over the valves, some of the tube can fit through the hole and you risk random flats.
While we are on this subject, where can I find those sleeves you are talking about? The Araya rims I bought came drilled for schrader valves, but all the tubes I have lying around (even my mini hand pump on the road) is presta. So I would much prefer that option u're speaking of if that's possible.
ichitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:03 AM   #15
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSR View Post
I'm pretty sure this guy is messing with us. The only time someone types like that is when it ends in Chris Hanson assuring a disheveled man that "Tiffany" doesn't exist, and that he's on Dateline.
I agree.

Just go to the nearest LBS and buy a new ****ing tube, you won't have to mortgage your house to afford it.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:34 AM   #16
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
I agree.

Just go to the nearest LBS and buy a new ****ing tube, you won't have to mortgage your house to afford it.
or, if you actually plan on doing some riding, a couple patch kits and handful of extra tubes to keep on hand.
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:34 AM   #17
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitz View Post
While we are on this subject, where can I find those sleeves you are talking about? The Araya rims I bought came drilled for schrader valves, but all the tubes I have lying around (even my mini hand pump on the road) is presta. So I would much prefer that option u're speaking of if that's possible.
I've found this alternative to also work well >>> http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shop...?catalogid=779 The little rubber grommet can be found in hardware stores and you install it on the outside hole of a typical double section (boxed) clincher rim. The grommet pretty much fills in the gap between outside and inside of the rim, so the valve won't push out through the hole when inflated. To prevent the inside hole from cutting the tube, I use 2 layers of rim tape in the area of the hole.
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:43 AM   #18
ichitz
Nü-Fred
 
ichitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
I've found this alternative to also work well >>> http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shop...?catalogid=779 The little rubber grommet can be found in hardware stores and you install it on the outside hole of a typical double section (boxed) clincher rim. The grommet pretty much fills in the gap between outside and inside of the rim, so the valve won't push out through the hole when inflated. To prevent the inside hole from cutting the tube, I use 2 layers of rim tape in the area of the hole.
Aha! Awesome. Thanks a bunch!
ichitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 11:41 AM   #19
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sweeet! Now Ill go buy some "****ing tubes" and not mortgage my house to buy them!

Haha. Guys are sooooooooo generous.
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:00 PM   #20
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously, what did you expect? A tube is a disposable item and the valve has practically no value in itself. Unless you are in a sort of "emergency" situation on the road there's absolutely no reason to not just buy a new tube.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:47 PM   #21
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A broken presta valve is almost always due to user error. Replace tube and try again.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 01:24 PM   #22
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA
 
LoRoK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland!
Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
A broken presta valve is almost always due to user error. Replace tube and try again.
+1
LoRoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 01:27 PM   #23
bigvegan
Senior Member
 
bigvegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/174...-Set-of-10.htm

There you go. 10 tubes for $19.98.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs View Post
sweeet! Now Ill go buy some "****ing tubes" and not mortgage my house to buy them!

Haha. Guys are sooooooooo generous.

Last edited by bigvegan; 01-08-10 at 04:00 PM.
bigvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 02:42 PM   #24
TheBikeRollsOn 
Senior Member
 
TheBikeRollsOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For future reference I find it works better to take the adapter, turn it with the bigger side down and screw it on the valve, then take the pump and close it over the top of the adapter. Also, make sure that the valve top screw thing is entirely unscrewed to the top.

But yeah, don't drill your rim.
TheBikeRollsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:55 PM   #25
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely wont drill the rim.
But oddly enough, the adapter itself screws into the pump body. Which stupid ass me bought anyway without realizing that it doesnt work very efficiently given that there really is no room for screwing a big pump into the presta adapter. o well
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 PM.