Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Speedplay Pedals

    I looking into running a set of clipless on one of my Fg's and I'm trying to decide on which ones to get. a friend of mine suggested Speedplay pedal, he uses them on all of his road bikes. i researched them a bit and they seem to get very good reviews except for their high price tag. i also read theyre is a lot of movement with them and i was wondering if that would be very good for a FG setup. does anyone have any input on these pedal, or maybe a suggestion on something else? thanks

  2. #2
    Get on your bikes & ride! xB_Nutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lextown
    My Bikes
    See signature (it varys day to day)
    Posts
    1,071
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Speedplay Frogs and the x zero (or something like that) for road bikes. I think there is to much unrestricted side to side float with Speedplays for riding fixed. Also the cleat design is not very low profile on the road pedals. I would recommend some Crank Bros pedals for fixed gear riding as they allow for float, but you have a much more solid feel to the attachment of the cleat to the pedal. Plus you can get into the Crank Bros for a lot less money.
    Litespeed Classic
    Soma Double Cross DC

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nashville/conway
    My Bikes
    late 2009 leader 721tr, 1992 trek oclv with da, 2010 specialized tarmac expert, QR Lucero Lite, NS Suburban 24''
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that. I ride speedplay on all my bikes except fixed, which has cages. But I am looking into some eggbeaters. They have a lot of options also.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright thats what i was thinking after reading some reviews. which crank brothers would you suggest? also are there any shoes you would recommend as well?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have frogs on both of my fixed bikes and wouldn't want to switch back to anything with springs (went from shimano spd to speedplay frog). The frogs are fully rebuildable and take 5 minutes to completely disassemble, clean and regrease...

    They are also much more comfortable on my knees, especially when climbing hills, since my heels can move outward slightly when swinging the bike left to right while mashing.

    The cleats are more expensive though... but so far my first pair have lasted 6 months without any noticeable play..

    The big con is they are an expensive system to get into..

  6. #6
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xB_Nutt View Post
    I have used Speedplay Frogs and the x zero (or something like that) for road bikes. I think there is to much unrestricted side to side float with Speedplays for riding fixed. Also the cleat design is not very low profile on the road pedals. I would recommend some Crank Bros pedals for fixed gear riding as they allow for float, but you have a much more solid feel to the attachment of the cleat to the pedal. Plus you can get into the Crank Bros for a lot less money.
    Wut? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

    Speedplays have the BEST street/track clearance of ANY pedal out there.

    They also offer the MOST float at 15 degrees. What's more is that it is adjustable from 0 degrees to 15 (0 1, 2, 3, ...15), not 0 OR 8 degrees like most pedals with float.

    If speeplay zeros are good enough for the last Great American Track Sprinter Marty Nortstein, then they are good enough for anyone else riding FG or racing track.

    The Zero has a free float not a springy float which is common with most pedal systems. You don't feel the tension until you are at the end of the float range, so your legs/knees are free to align themselves where they like (which is the purpose of float in the first place) with no tension at all. Feels weird at first, like it's not engaged but it is.

    The Zero is the most technically advanced pedal on the market as far as fitting goes.

    You cannot disengage from the zero by pulling up. The same cannot be said about Look, Shimano SPD-SL, Crank Brothers, Time, SPD, or other pedal systems. You will have to break the cleat or your shoe to disengage by pulling up. The ONLY way out is to twist.

    Speedplay Frogs are a MTB pedal. I've used them. They are OK, but the Zero is MUCH MUCH better. There is a reason why you can't find Zeros on sale or used for cheap...they hold their value.

    The only downside is that the engagement mechanism is attached to the shoe, so walking around is a pain. But, the same goes for any road pedal system.

  7. #7
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xB_Nutt View Post
    I have used Speedplay Frogs and the x zero (or something like that) for road bikes. I think there is to much unrestricted side to side float with Speedplays for riding fixed. Also the cleat design is not very low profile on the road pedals. I would recommend some Crank Bros pedals for fixed gear riding as they allow for float, but you have a much more solid feel to the attachment of the cleat to the pedal. Plus you can get into the Crank Bros for a lot less money.
    The Speedplay X are different than the Zero. By design, it doesn't have a positive end to the float range like the Zero does. You had the wrong pedal.

    Watch the Tour de France or any other major cycling race, you will see 45% Speedplay Zeros, 45% Dura Ace, and maybe 10% LOOK pedals.

    By the way, Lance Armstrong famously pulled out of some Dura Ace pedals at the start of his Time Trial in 2007 (I think). That won't (can't) happen with Speedplay Zeros.

  8. #8
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Wut? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

    Speedplays have the BEST street/track clearance of ANY pedal out there.

    They also offer the MOST float at 15 degrees. What's more is that it is adjustable from 0 degrees to 15 (0 1, 2, 3, ...15), not 0 OR 8 degrees like most pedals with float.

    If speeplay zeros are good enough for the last Great American Track Sprinter Marty Nortstein, then they are good enough for anyone else riding FG or racing track.

    The Zero has a free float not a springy float which is common with most pedal systems. You don't feel the tension until you are at the end of the float range, so your legs/knees are free to align themselves where they like (which is the purpose of float in the first place) with no tension at all. Feels weird at first, like it's not engaged but it is.

    The Zero is the most technically advanced pedal on the market as far as fitting goes.

    You cannot disengage from the zero by pulling up. The same cannot be said about Look, Shimano SPD-SL, Crank Brothers, Time, SPD, or other pedal systems. You will have to break the cleat or your shoe to disengage by pulling up. The ONLY way out is to twist.

    Speedplay Frogs are a MTB pedal. I've used them. They are OK, but the Zero is MUCH MUCH better. There is a reason why you can't find Zeros on sale or used for cheap...they hold their value.

    The only downside is that the engagement mechanism is attached to the shoe, so walking around is a pain. But, the same goes for any road pedal system.
    LMAO! Don't confuse him with the facts!
    DIRT BOY

  9. #9
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Chromoly ZERO's on my Fixed and SS ZERO's on my road bike. SP Zero is the best pedal out there. I for one prefer them for adjustable float, base plates that allow near mid-foot mounting and the BEST shim for leg length discrepancies. They also allow dual sided entry which MOST road pedals do not.

    ONLY downside, you must use Road specific shoes as a lot og FG riders I know prefer MTB shoes for walking.
    I tried the SP Frog MTB pedal and the cleat would NOT work properly with my Shimano M220 shoes. They are very finicky when setting up.

    Plus I agree with this:

    They also offer the MOST float at 15 degrees. What's more is that it is adjustable from 0 degrees to 15 (0 1, 2, 3, ...15), not 0 OR 8 degrees like most pedals with float.

    If speeplay zeros are good enough for the last Great American Track Sprinter Marty Nortstein, then they are good enough for anyone else riding FG or racing track.

    The Zero has a free float not a springy float which is common with most pedal systems. You don't feel the tension until you are at the end of the float range, so your legs/knees are free to align themselves where they like (which is the purpose of float in the first place) with no tension at all. Feels weird at first, like it's not engaged but it is.

    The Zero is the most technically advanced pedal on the market as far as fitting goes.

    You cannot disengage from the zero by pulling up. The same cannot be said about Look, Shimano SPD-SL, Crank Brothers, Time, SPD, or other pedal systems. You will have to break the cleat or your shoe to disengage by pulling up. The ONLY way out is to twist.
    DIRT BOY

  10. #10
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xB_Nutt View Post
    I have used Speedplay Frogs and the x zero (or something like that) for road bikes. I think there is to much unrestricted side to side float with Speedplays for riding fixed.
    LOL! But they make a VERY popular TRACK Version of the ZERO which has the same adjustable float, but a harder spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by xB_Nutt View Post
    Also the cleat design is not very low profile on the road pedals.
    But the OVERALL stack height with the pedal included is LOWER than all other road and MTB pedals. Again, you have no idea what you are talking about on these pedals.

    Here is the ZERO comapred to SPD-SL Pedals:
    Zero 11.5mm - SPD-SL 13.7mm
    DIRT BOY

  11. #11
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The coolest part is that you can adjust the "heel in" and "heel out". This solves 2 problems.

    Ever have the inside of the heel of your shoes clip your chain stay and have to consciously (until you subconsciously start to) hold them away from it? Turn the heel in screw and your heel will not be allowed to to touch the chain stay.

    Do you have sloppy sprint or climbing form and sometimes accidentally twist your foot too far outward and disengage? You can adjust the heel out further than you can twist while on the bike to where only a "pigeon-toed" twist can get you out.

  12. #12
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    The coolest part is that you can adjust the "heel in" and "heel out". This solves 2 problems.

    Ever have the inside of the heel of your shoes clip your chain stay and have to consciously (until you subconsciously start to) hold them away from it? Turn the heel in screw and your heel will not be allowed to to touch the chain stay.
    Yup! One of my fav features do to my foot/body alignment. I have full float out, but a little more limited inward to avoid this issue.

    Then again, these are NOT for everyone. Number one complaint is cleats cost $$, wear and tear of the cleats, and dirt/maintenance of the springs for smooth operation.

    This is why I left them after trying them for a year years ago. BUT every other PRO sent me back!
    DIRT BOY

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    You cannot disengage from the zero by pulling up. The same cannot be said about Look, Shimano SPD-SL, Crank Brothers, Time, SPD, or other pedal systems. You will have to break the cleat or your shoe to disengage by pulling up. The ONLY way out is to twist.
    Are you talking about Time road pedals? I am not familiar with them, but have no idea how you could disengage from a Time MTB pedal by pulling up without breaking the cleat or the shoe.

  14. #14
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scruggle View Post
    but have no idea how you could disengage from a Time MTB pedal by pulling up without breaking the cleat or the shoe.
    They TIME MTB pedals are similar in design to the crank brothers mech. a work cleat could lead to pulling out. same with SPD or SPD-SL

    50-7571-BLK-ANGLE.jpg TI.jpg
    DIRT BOY

  15. #15
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scruggle View Post
    Are you talking about Time road pedals? I am not familiar with them, but have no idea how you could disengage from a Time MTB pedal by pulling up without breaking the cleat or the shoe.
    Yes, time MTB pedals. I rode them for years. If you are pulling up with mega-watts, you can open that spring up and the cleat will come out. It's more likely with a worn cleat.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't really skid too often but if i did would would like it to not pull out. i don't care about weight at all, and even if it doesnt last me the longest time that would be ok since it would be first set of clipless and i could always upgrade to better ones later on.

  17. #17
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    They TIME MTB pedals are similar in design to the crank brothers mech. a work cleat could lead to pulling out. same with SPD or SPD-SL
    Yup.

    SPD-SL uses a LOOK style pedal. The cleat is actually plastic which is worn down. Off-brand LOOK/SPD-SL "compatible" cleats may wear down faster.

  18. #18
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatrat1@yahoo. View Post
    i don't really skid too often but if i did would would like it to not pull out. i don't care about weight at all, and even if it doesnt last me the longest time that would be ok since it would be first set of clipless and i could always upgrade to better ones later on.
    You won't pull out with any quality pedal system unless you have bad form, worn out cleats, or are really, really strong. Don't worry.

    FYI: Cleats wear out just like brake pads, tires, etc... Replacing them is part of the total cost of ownership.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    You won't pull out with any quality pedal system unless you have bad form, worn out cleats, or are really, really strong. Don't worry.

    FYI: Cleats wear out just like brake pads, tires, etc... Replacing them is part of the total cost of ownership.
    ok great, so what would you suggest for my first set then?

  20. #20
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatrat1@yahoo. View Post
    ok great, so what would you suggest for my first set then?
    Do you have clipless compatible shoes? If so, what kind?

    What is your budget?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Do you have clipless compatible shoes? If so, what kind?

    What is your budget?
    No i'm looking to get them as well. i didn't want to buy the shoes first ya know? i mean i don't have a cap really but i would like to not spend soo much, but i want to get something decent so i know i will have to spend a decent amount. like i said if they don't last me forever i am okay with that.

  22. #22
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    You won't pull out with any quality pedal system unless you have bad form, worn out cleats, or are really, really strong. Don't worry.

    FYI: Cleats wear out just like brake pads, tires, etc... Replacing them is part of the total cost of ownership.
    Or if you FAIL to adjust the tension properly.
    DIRT BOY

  23. #23
    Loving Fixed Riding! DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chromoly Speedplay pedals run about $118 new. Wait for Performance bike to offer 10-20% off and there you go. Decent Shimano road shoes another $89-175
    DIRT BOY

  24. #24
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,720
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatrat1@yahoo. View Post
    i don't really skid too often but if i did would would like it to not pull out. i don't care about weight at all, and even if it doesnt last me the longest time that would be ok since it would be first set of clipless and i could always upgrade to better ones later on.

    You'll do fine with just mountain bike pedals. The only time I've unclipped unintentionally was when I twisted my foot mid-skid. I've also been riding SPDs daily for a year, and walking a lot with them, and no trouble yet. I just got cheap pedals and decent shoes for commuting and rec. riding because I had no reason to spend a lot. For racing I'm going to get better pedals and shoes.

    But if you have the money, go for what's superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  25. #25
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    10,858
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you've already been down the Road vs MTB shoe debate and have settled on Road then Shimano makes some great entry level shoes and Performance has them at really, really great prices. There are some for $20 and $30 on PerformanceBike.com right now. Same prices in the store. PLUS Performance and Nashbar are the same company, so Performance will match Nashbar prices when you are in the store. Just bring it to their attention.

    You can get the entry level Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL which is a great pedal for $50 at Performance. These are often on craigslist for much cheaper if you keep your eyes out. But, remember when buying that you may have to buy fresh cleats for $25.

    I personally prefer the Speedplay Zero (obviously) but they start at $125 and you will never find these on sale. The only time you get price breaks is with some sort of "store-wide discount" of some sort. These are almost 3 times the price of the Shimano R540 and rarely show up on craigslist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •