Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: Globe Roll 1?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Globe Roll 1?

    Anyone happen to own one of these bikes? If so is the frame quality and worth to build on? I heard the 1 comes with ok parts for the price but most likely change the headset, seat, handlebars, pedals and wheels

    Oh also, anyone that owns one, does it maneuver as well as lets say a fuji track pro, or Vigorelli or pista concept, or atleast keep up with them, and almost as light?
    Last edited by Dosu; 02-05-10 at 08:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Pants are for suckaz HandsomeRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mt. Airy, MD
    My Bikes
    Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course saddles andpedals are pretty personal but what are your perceived shortcomings of the stock headset or wheels?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont like the angle too much and i'm a fan of bullhorns. I already own some aerospokes

  4. #4
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,189
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well quality is there obviously with the frame... they're made by specialized.....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I cant hunt down a good used pista concept frame or a fuji track pro/comp frame I might go for the roll, pretty good price

  6. #6
    Comanche Racing PedallingATX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    My Bikes
    Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plz don't buy this P.O.S.
    skinnytire

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    plz don't buy this P.O.S.
    the frames bad?

  8. #8
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    Well quality is there obviously with the frame... they're made by specialized.....
    Yes, it's a Specialized Bicycle Components sub-brand, and you can buy them from any Specialized dealer. Like most name brand stuff like Trek and Cannondale, Specialized is always decent quality, warrantied and safe, but also way overpriced.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well isn't the roll 1 like $650 for the complete? that doesn't seem so bad seeing how a pista concept frame alone is $450-600. But again my question was whats the difference with the two frames for those that owned any or know anyone that does, weight, feel, sharper turns ect

  10. #10
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosu View Post
    Well isn't the roll 1 like $650 for the complete? that doesn't seem so bad seeing how a pista concept frame alone is $450-600. But again my question was whats the difference with the two frames for those that owned any or know anyone that does, weight, feel, sharper turns ect
    Apples and oranges. The Roll is more like a Kilo TT than a Pista Concept. I have a 2006 Pista Concept complete track bike. It is aluminum with carbon fork, very light, very stiff, and has tight track geometry. The Roll is CroMo frame and fork, heavy, probably not very stiff, and has relaxed urban street geometry. So it will handle totally differently. It also has a low BB, which means watch out for pedal strike if you run it fixed and it comes with long crank arms. You could probably get something very similar for $200 less like a Kilo TT. If you really like the style and have the money, then go for it, but don't expect to get your money back if you decide you don't and try to flip it.

    Geometry >>>> http://www.globebikes.com/us/en/glob...LL1#/geometry/

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I have some parts, like aerospokes kinda heavy but lasted longer than my last frame(well guess it was just old) would the pista concept be good for urban street riding, more agressive turns and speed than a kilo tt/roll? I do some track but mostly urban riding(no tricks or jumps or anything like that) just want fast agressive, the pista wont have problems with some street bumps or anything seeing how its aluminum frame?

    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Apples and oranges. The Roll is more like a Kilo TT than a Pista Concept. I have a 2006 Pista Concept complete track bike. It is aluminum with carbon fork, very light, very stiff, and has tight track geometry. The Roll is CroMo frame and fork, heavy, probably not very stiff, and has relaxed urban street geometry. So it will handle totally differently. It also has a low BB, which means watch out for pedal strike if you run it fixed and it comes with long crank arms. You could probably get something very similar for $200 less like a Kilo TT. If you really like the style and have the money, then go for it, but don't expect to get your money back if you decide you don't and try to flip it.

    Geometry >>>> http://www.globebikes.com/us/en/glob...LL1#/geometry/

  12. #12
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosu View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have some parts, like aerospokes kinda heavy but lasted longer than my last frame(well guess it was just old) would the pista concept be good for urban street riding, more agressive turns and speed than a kilo tt/roll? I do some track but mostly urban riding(no tricks or jumps or anything like that) just want fast agressive, the pista wont have problems with some street bumps or anything seeing how its aluminum frame?
    Well, I use my Concept no brakes and 99% on the track. When I ride road its smooth pavement, no potholes, curb jumps etc. I don't think rough pavement is a problem, but if you hit something the frame could be damaged. The tubing is very thin, and dents easily, and you've got a carbon fork with an aluminum steerer. Compared to a CroMo frame it's pretty delicate. Yes, I'd expect it to be a lot more lively and quick steering than a Roll or Kilo TT, and the higher BB will help avoid pedal strike.
    Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 02-06-10 at 01:45 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Deshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2009 Pake in Deep Purple, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2003 Intense M1, 2003 Giant Yukon SS, 2010 Premium Deathtrap
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the Roll. I have test ridden one and it felt good for an urban commuter. I like th integrated bar and stem. It was a cool bike all in all. I would chance a few parts just out of personal preference but all in all, it is a nice bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
    dude...you can't "no ****" something THAT ****. That's like saying "sometimes I just like to make out with dudes...no ****"

  14. #14
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I take a second look, the Globe Roll frame (not fork) looks a lot like the Langster Steel...what do you guys think?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ive been riding something similar to a Kilo TT shaped frame, but wanted something lighter because im getting more serious with track riding but still want to play around in the streets. do they make lighter weight shaped frames than the kilo tt? i see alot of companys making those frames, but not sure whats better than what

  16. #16
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosu View Post
    Yeah ive been riding something similar to a Kilo TT shaped frame, but wanted something lighter because im getting more serious with track riding but still want to play around in the streets. do they make lighter weight shaped frames than the kilo tt? i see alot of companys making those frames, but not sure whats better than what
    If you really want to go light, stiff, track geometry without breaking the bank then you pretty much have to go with aluminum. I don't how much it weighs, but the Moto Team frame is $350 from BD with an aluminum frame and carbon fork. So you don't have to spend a bunch for a Concept or some other big name frame to get something that will do the job. I mean it seems everyone wants a Concept and since Bianchi doesn't make them anymore, the prices are getting ridiculous.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah was looking at that too, but never really heard of it, seems similar to the fuji track frames



    Hmm for a kilo tt frame would 53cm fit me? 6"0 145lbs, My girlfriend says she needs a new bike and is the same hight as me, so ill use hers sometimes too, and didnt know a complete kilo tt was that cheap so I can get that and a aluminum frame for track to finish my build
    Last edited by Dosu; 02-06-10 at 03:19 PM.

  18. #18
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosu View Post
    yeah was looking at that too, but never really heard of it, seems similar to the fuji track frames
    Not similar, but same. The Moto Team frame is a Fuji Comp. Just less $$$.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Not similar, but same. The Moto Team frame is a Fuji Comp. Just less $$$.
    Oh awesome, and about the kilo tt sizes, you know?

  20. #20
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosu View Post
    Oh awesome, and about the kilo tt sizes, you know?
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but there's a bunch of info here >>>> http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm

  21. #21
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,091
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How does someone go from wanting a Pista Concept to a Rolll 1 in a matter of two days?

  22. #22
    chickenosaurus j3ffr3y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper
    Posts
    1,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    How does someone go from wanting a Pista Concept to a Rolll 1 in a matter of two days?
    someone told him that 'steel is reel'?
    2010 Motobecane Team Track
    1997 GT Edge
    2012 Kilo TT Stripper

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    How does someone go from wanting a Pista Concept to a Rolll 1 in a matter of two days?
    When finding a pista concept was next to impossible in canada. also I didnt say I necessarily wanted a roll, just asking about their frames and value for the price.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ffr3y View Post
    someone told him that 'steel is reel'?
    Someone did say cromo was better for the streets, but i go track also.

  25. #25
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,091
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What's "real" has nothing to do with what's "better". Or does it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •