Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 76

Thread: Skid Stop

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Skid Stop

    I've got my fixie for couple weeks lately. and like when i try to skid i cant seem to lock up my legs so it can skid my gear ratio is 48x16 any help

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're ratio's kinda high for a beginner i suppose but not so much that you shouldnt be able to lock it up unless your tiny. are you putting all your weight over the front wheel, balls to stem?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats a good ratio for a beginner? and yes my balls are to the stem but when i push it back my legs still pedal like it slows down but doesnt skid.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    play around with this: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    and try to find something as close to 70 gear inches as you can get IMO
    if you're riding brakeless, than its best if you have a gear ratio that cant be simplified (i.e. 46/17) so you have enough skid patches to not wear your tire out too quick.
    as long as you get the weight up front and lock up your rear leg, which should be your strong leg, than you should get it. it takes a little bit of practice. and a little speed makes it easier as well

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxxx View Post
    play around with this: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    and try to find something as close to 70 gear inches as you can get IMO
    if you're riding brakeless, than its best if you have a gear ratio that cant be simplified (i.e. 46/17) so you have enough skid patches to not wear your tire out too quick.
    as long as you get the weight up front and lock up your rear leg, which should be your strong leg, than you should get it. it takes a little bit of practice. and a little speed makes it easier as well
    how do i work this i dont really get most of what it wants for me to ask. but can you recommend a good ratio for a noob for fixies

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    46 up front, 17 in back. you get 17 skid patches and 71 gear inches. great place to start.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxxx View Post
    46 up front, 17 in back. you get 17 skid patches and 71 gear inches. great place to start.
    alright look my crank is 48t whats a good cog t for it? to make it beginner friendly

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're sticking with your 48t chain ring, put an 18t cog in back and have fun eating up your tire. thats 70 gear inches by the way. or put a 19t cog on for more skid patches and even lower gear inches (66) but if you keep riding fixed you'll grow out of a gearing that low pretty fast.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxxx View Post
    if you're sticking with your 48t chain ring, put an 18t cog in back and have fun eating up your tire. thats 70 gear inches by the way. or put a 19t cog on for more skid patches and even lower gear inches (66) but if you keep riding fixed you'll grow out of a gearing that low pretty fast.
    not to sound stupid is it bad to get more skid patches? since i already have a 16 cog and 48 t crank its either cause i want a easy ratio to skid in

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more skid patches is good. less is bad. if you have less it basically means that every time you skid you're going to be skidding on the same part of your tire and you're going to wear through it faster.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it, can't you just remove the tire and turn it a bit and remount it every so often depending on how much you ride?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxxx View Post
    more skid patches is good. less is bad. if you have less it basically means that every time you skid you're going to be skidding on the same part of your tire and you're going to wear through it faster.
    in your opininon waht would be better? 48/18 or 46/17

  13. #13
    Antarctica awaits WoundedKnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Zona
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That isn't the only reason.. it makes skidding much more difficult when there are less patches.

    W: just do 46/17

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah but thats a pain in the ass when you could just buy a new cog for 10 bucks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoboop View Post
    in your opininon waht would be better? 48/18 or 46/17
    46/17. thats why it was my first suggestion.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the most common gearing fixies use? also track riders?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who knows. i just know what i like from experimenting with different combinations. it depends on where you ride, how you ride, etc.

    EDIT: but i have no idea if theres a common gearing among track racers. i dont ride track.
    Last edited by mattxxx; 02-05-10 at 10:46 PM.

  18. #18
    Hella Raw spcialzdspksman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosu View Post
    What's the most common gearing fixies use? also track riders?
    I've been told track riders have 50+ teeth for chainring and about 13,14-tooth cog?
    Either way, its insane gearing!

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattxxx View Post
    46/17. thats why it was my first suggestion.
    This is the gearing I'm using currently, and it's a good all around gear, and skidding with it is not that difficult.
    wedoboop, if you're willing to, you should try out that gearing.
    Also remember to lean over the handlebars a bit.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcialzdspksman View Post
    I've been told track riders have 50+ teeth for chainring and about 13,14-tooth cog?
    Either way, its insane gearing!
    haha, id like to see someone pushing that in sf. although i suppose it would be quite a fun downhill gearing.

  21. #21
    Antarctica awaits WoundedKnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Zona
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over handlebar skids are pretty useless once you learn the professional way.. ha professional.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDThbgvMQZI

    Like this.

  22. #22
    Riding Engineer Tomo_Ishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    My Bikes
    Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo
    Posts
    836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ... seated skids. I am still working on that, I still have to lift my bottoms alittle.

  23. #23
    Senior Member filtersweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SexWithBicycles View Post
    I don't get it, can't you just remove the tire and turn it a bit and remount it every so often depending on how much you ride?
    You are crazy. Just "move" (rotate) the entire wheel. Much easier than REMOVING THE TIRE.

    Odds are you would have done this anyway when you removed the tire.... unless you reset the hub in the exact same rotation you found it.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i find it hard for me to push back and skid with my ratio of 48/16

    whats a good cheap chainring with 47 t ? but good chainring
    Last edited by wedoboop; 02-06-10 at 12:53 AM.

  25. #25
    Antarctica awaits WoundedKnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tucson, Zona
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can do seated skids but it's dangerous on the roads in my neighborhood, my tires stick to the pavement like glue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •