Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-04, 12:48 PM   #1
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FSA track cranks.

On a purely looks basis, they look pretty decent..

http://www.businesscycles.com/tcr-fsa.htm

But on a hammer it home basis, how good are they usage wise?
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 01:20 PM   #2
sohi
seniorita member
 
sohi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Bikes:
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
they look cool. but in an older thread somebody was saying that
the ISIS BB sucks because the bigger axle means smaller and less durable
bearings.
sohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 01:23 PM   #3
Serbaside
Nameless
 
Serbaside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: SS Road bike (nothing outstanding), Fixed Batavus (1970)
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well apparently FSA knows something you don't
Serbaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 01:23 PM   #4
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, I just ditched the idea because of the carbon fiber center...
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 01:28 PM   #5
sohi
seniorita member
 
sohi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Bikes:
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbaside
well apparently FSA knows something you don't
who are you talking to and what is your point. I dont mean this as an offence I just
dont understand what you are saying.
sohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 02:02 PM   #6
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Norman, OK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had good luck with their roadie cranks and ISIS BB so far. Not sure about the carbon center on this one, but hopefully someone will see if it breaks for us.
ImprezaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 02:16 PM   #7
Serbaside
Nameless
 
Serbaside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: SS Road bike (nothing outstanding), Fixed Batavus (1970)
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well you are saying that ISIS bottom brackets are not durable, but they are continued to be made. FSA is a quality brand and I feel that if ISIS is a horriable set-up then they would never have started to make them in the first place. So, it seems you don't have all the facts.
Just because the bearings are smaller doesn't make them less durable. I don't have a degree in physics so I can't give you any hard facts on force, weight load, etc. All I know is a the splined setup can take greater forces (just at in your tools at home, star > hex head > phillips > flat head). Also what is defective about the bearings? The race? because you sure as h3ll are not going to be able to actually brake a bearing.
Serbaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 02:25 PM   #8
sohi
seniorita member
 
sohi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Bikes:
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbaside
Well you are saying that ISIS bottom brackets are not durable, but they are continued to be made. FSA is a quality brand and I feel that if ISIS is a horriable set-up then they would never have started to make them in the first place. So, it seems you don't have all the facts.
Just because the bearings are smaller doesn't make them less durable. I don't have a degree in physics so I can't give you any hard facts on force, weight load, etc. All I know is a the splined setup can take greater forces (just at in your tools at home, star > hex head > phillips > flat head). Also what is defective about the bearings? The race? because you sure as h3ll are not going to be able to actually brake a bearing.
I dont have any ISIS BB and therefore no experience. I just forwarded what I was told (by bikkhu I think).
Since he is a messenger in harsh conditions in Finland I thought he has some negative experience.
Everybody was saying in that old thread how much ISIS sucks and I asked why. Maybe its just this
oldskool reflex that everything new sucks.
sohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 03:02 PM   #9
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbaside
All I know is a the splined setup can take greater forces (just at in your tools at home, star > hex head > phillips > flat head).
I beg to differ on this one point. My vehicle has torx head bolts, and I use every chance I can to remove them because they do not handle repeated use. This is real world.

ISIS does have a rep of creaking a lot. I'm not sure where I heard it, but I wanted to ask because of that and other issues.
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 03:21 PM   #10
stronzo
Gizmo
 
stronzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: custom Moyer track bike, '94 Bianchi track bike, 99ish Bianchi Reparto Corsa 9speed record/chorus, '81ish Koga Miyata FullPro, '84 trek 720 touring bike, mid-80s Montagner slowly being built w/period campy
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
damn, they look so pretty too ....(was considering them for my next ride)
stronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 03:22 PM   #11
2Rodies
El Diablo
 
2Rodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has it ever occured to anyone that FSA has made their BB/Cranks propriatary? You want FSA cranks you gotta buy the BB to go along with it. Doesn't make it good or bad but I don't believe that FSA has stayed with the design because it's "better".
2Rodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 03:30 PM   #12
p3ntuprage
Senior Member
 
p3ntuprage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: birmingham
Bikes: a tvt soon to become a s/s...
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
other manufacturers make isis cranks/bb's [race face are one, can't be bothered to think of others right now]

it's pitched as the alternative to shimano's patented spline system.

fsnl
sparky
p3ntuprage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 03:43 PM   #13
2Rodies
El Diablo
 
2Rodies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Austin Tx, Ex So Cal
Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does RaceFace make road cranks? Still if you want to buy FSA cranks you have to buy the BB to go with it. This could also be said of Campy (tapered) and Shimano (Octalink). However my point was that just because FSA uses ISIS drive doesn't inherently make it good.
2Rodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 03:48 PM   #14
Serbaside
Nameless
 
Serbaside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Bikes: SS Road bike (nothing outstanding), Fixed Batavus (1970)
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK sohi I will admit a one thing about ISIS (Truvativ inparticular) I have a Team Gigapipe SL and Karsten is right about the creaking, in fact it creaks like a old house with wood floors. But I don't have yet to have any trouble with it. The creaking is not a "metal to metal" scraping and I'm not sure what it is, but it has done it ever since brand new right out of the box.
Serbaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 04:07 PM   #15
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbaside
OK sohi I will admit a one thing about ISIS (Truvativ inparticular) I have a Team Gigapipe SL and Karsten is right about the creaking, in fact it creaks like a old house with wood floors.
Truvativ is the one I heard had problems and not ISIS in particular, though ISIS was mentioned, more as a subset to the problem. So perhaps these FSA cranks aren't all that bad. I'm curious to if the cranks won't give way under foot on me. I'm a bit harsh on things at times.
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 04:36 PM   #16
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
why do heavy mtb'ers like isis so much?
I don't know, but I wouldn't/couldn't relate to heavy or light mtb'ers.
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 04:52 PM   #17
luckycat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Splined bottom brackets are stiffer, and not a new invention, they have been used on bmx bikes for years. I have a splined bb on my mtb, it is so much stiffer than the square taper it replaced. It's a race face, so I can't speak for the quality of the FSA, but haven't noticed any creaking or other problems over the past year or so. I don't know what you're willing to spend, but have a look at the newer dura ace track cranks, also splined and sweet as hell, expensive though.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 04:58 PM   #18
luckycat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Has it ever occured to anyone that FSA has made their BB/Cranks propriatary? You want FSA cranks you gotta buy the BB to go along with it. Doesn't make it good or bad but I don't believe that FSA has stayed with the design because it's "better".

That's not quite true, the isis spline is available for anyone to use, and I don't think it was developed by fsa. The sad thing is that not many companies have picked up on it, raceface, truvativ, fsa, and I heard rumors of chris king bb's and cranks using isis a while back... I think the shimano spline(Octalink maybe? I forget.) is also availble for anyone who wants to use it, not sure who else does though.
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 05:10 PM   #19
Racing Aardvark
Cranky Ol' Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycat
That's not quite true, the isis spline is available for anyone to use, and I don't think it was developed by fsa. The sad thing is that not many companies have picked up on it, raceface, truvativ, fsa, and I heard rumors of chris king bb's and cranks using isis a while back... I think the shimano spline(Octalink maybe? I forget.) is also availble for anyone who wants to use it, not sure who else does though.
ISIS is an open standard, anyone can make their own parts without having to pay a penny to the group that came up with the standard. If you want to make an Octalink compatible BB or crank, you must pay Shimano royalties.

I've got an FSA Isis BB and it has just started cranking on really steep climbs. Damned annoying. If it had done it all along I'd have yanked it and chucked it in the rubbish.
Racing Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 05:13 PM   #20
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbaside
OK sohi I will admit a one thing about ISIS (Truvativ inparticular) I have a Team Gigapipe SL and Karsten is right about the creaking, in fact it creaks like a old house with wood floors. But I don't have yet to have any trouble with it. The creaking is not a "metal to metal" scraping and I'm not sure what it is, but it has done it ever since brand new right out of the box.
It seems to me that if it's creaking there is something wrong with it.

Is Isis and Octalink the same thing? Cause I've got Octalink on my road bike and it sucks. Even when properly torqued the cranks can come loose and right off the start just putting them on brand new it was all soft and just plain sloppy fit.

The square spindle on my fixie has caused no problems.
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 09:16 PM   #21
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FSA makes both ISIS and octalink. i should know, i have an FSA crank on my road bike that uses an octalink BB.

the biggest problem i have heard of with ISIS was with that ONE BB that sheldon brown got ahold of (happened to be an FSA model, lower end too), that sheered off because they had machined a little gutter-type thing into it right behind the splines. haven't heard anything else about any other ISIS BB breaking in this way since.

from a basic "this looks like it would work better" standpoint, i think ISIS is better than octalink. i know that the splines are machined so that there is much more contact between the crank and the spindle, i know that the spindle is slightly tapered (like, 1 degree) so you can get the crankarm onto the spindle and make sure that you're not going to mash the splines up while tightening the crankbolts down, and i know that there is a positive STOP on there when the crankarm is on. with shimano, you get none of that, and installing an octalink crank ir you've never done it before can be tricky and kinda nerve racking "is it on straight?! i don't know, i can't see in there! what if the splines aren't aligned!?!?"

as far as the FSA track cranks for fixed on the road use? hell no. don't even think about it. the spider and right crankarm aren't one solid piece. i think you'd end up having some serious problems with it after about a month of real world riding.
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 09:50 PM   #22
Oni
Wannabe Msgr.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Splined BB's are supposed to provide more surface for your cranks to grip. I have one on my touring bike and I really really hate it. but that's also because it's a cartridge BB. Shimano's octalink is completely proprietary and anyone wanting to make compatible parts has to pay Shimano. ISIS is like Linux in that it's a free basis to build off of. no patent there, or at least a public one if any.

p.s.- I've just spent a week listening to pro mechanics ***** about how Shimano is making everything proprietary in order to make you buy new parts and more expensive ones. Run away from Shimano while you still can.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 10:13 PM   #23
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
p.s.- I've just spent a week listening to pro mechanics ***** about how Shimano is making everything proprietary in order to make you buy new parts and more expensive ones. Run away from Shimano while you still can.
word. (running)
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 07:39 AM   #24
SD Fixed
Traffic shark
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.
Posts: 4,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, ask a question, get a ton of answers!!!

This is what I [/I]love[I] about a good forum...

Thanks everyone, really!
SD Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 07:45 AM   #25
HereNT
無くなった
 
HereNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sci-Fi Wasabi
Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
Posts: 5,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uh, Will, you got your backslash in the wrong spot... Maybe you spent to much time away...

And I know nothing about ISIS cranks/bb/whatever
HereNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 PM.