Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-04, 10:57 AM   #1
cripiter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fricken shoelace

so i'm riding with three kids on our way to the bar (sidenote: we drank for 14 hours in total that day)
i'm in the middle and a car cuts us off on a turn, my friend infront of me makes it but i have skip to a quick stop to avoid hitting the car. i go to pull out of my clip because there's now traffic and i can only trackstand for like .0987 seconds low and behold my #$@*%in shoelace gets tangled up and i tip. hit the ground so hard that i bent my toe clip with my foot still in it and broke my toe in the process. so now i'm laid up at home with a blue toe the size of a hoagie when i should be out riding. moral of the story...i don't know just wanted to vent.
cripiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:01 AM   #2
sohi
seniorita member
 
sohi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Bikes:
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
damn that sucks! what about clipless? a friend of mine has to do physiotherapy
for his knee and ankle because he got stuck in tram tracks and fell.
sohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:02 AM   #3
cripiter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
tuck in your laces!! that's the damn moral!!
i usually do! just slipped my mind in a hurry to get to the bar, and i may have been slightly impared.
cripiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:23 AM   #4
HereNT
無くなった
 
HereNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sci-Fi Wasabi
Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
Posts: 5,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
14 hours? Aint that just getting started?

That said, with how drunk I might be when I ride, I take the extra percautions before I put my foot on the pedals...

Slightly impaired is never enough!!!!

[edit]Learn to trackstand for longer than 1 second!!!![/edit]

Last edited by HereNT; 08-23-04 at 12:11 PM.
HereNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:45 AM   #5
cripiter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haha noon to just after 2 then of course the next day i get the call to go out again and numb the pain...you can't beat the city wide special. 3 bucks for a pbr and a shot of jb. that being said point well take on the extra percautions.
cripiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:49 AM   #6
arcellus
Senior Member
 
arcellus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: pdx
Bikes:
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohi
a friend of mine has to do physiotherapy
for his knee and ankle because he got stuck in tram tracks and fell.
tram tracks! ha! there are streetcar tracks all over the place near my apartment.. you'd think i'd learn to avoid them by now but i still get hung up every once in a while. i've never been hurt but i bet seeing me suddenly stop in the middle of the street, t-bone my bike and go over the handlebars into a tuck & roll sure looks funny. dang........
arcellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:51 AM   #7
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I just cut my laces short...

Get well fast...
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 12:27 PM   #8
salmonchild
going down...
 
salmonchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South London
Bikes: Custom Raleigh track steel, Ron Kitching frame, given a budget single-speed job, Saracen Nzyme frame with most components upgraded
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohi
damn that sucks! what about clipless? a friend of mine has to do physiotherapy
for his knee and ankle because he got stuck in tram tracks and fell.

my grandad (now 83 and still riding faster than me) joined his brother's cycling club in brixton when he was 14, on his first ride out with them he was up front on a fixed gear tandem and managed to steer the front wheel into a tram track sending his stoker flying over the top and take out about 50 members members of the club.
its a good thing we dont have trams in london (keep em in croydon livingston)
salmonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 12:33 PM   #9
sohi
seniorita member
 
sohi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Bikes:
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonchild
my grandad (now 83 and still riding faster than me) joined his brother's cycling club in brixton when he was 14, on his first ride out with them he was up front on a fixed gear tandem and managed to steer the front wheel into a tram track sending his stoker flying over the top and take out about 50 members members of the club.
its a good thing we dont have trams in london (keep em in croydon livingston)
He must have become a legend after that! does that mean you are a true londoner?
I dont see many of them in london
sohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 01:05 PM   #10
skitbraviking
the way we get by
 
skitbraviking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wherever the f**k I feel it
Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
Posts: 2,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yea, 165 reminds me to tuck my laces. everybody should have a 165 around.
skitbraviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 01:52 PM   #11
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitbraviking
yea, 165 reminds me to tuck my laces. everybody should have a 165 around.
aw...shucks. just keep buying me the occasional beer - or finishing mine when I have to drive home
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 01:54 PM   #12
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
okay.. then the moral is to not sit around drinkin all day and then ride a bike.
Who's morals?
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 02:00 PM   #13
cripiter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haha definatly not mine
cripiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 02:40 PM   #14
skitbraviking
the way we get by
 
skitbraviking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wherever the f**k I feel it
Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey
Posts: 2,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
Who's morals?

What morals?
skitbraviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 02:53 PM   #15
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá
 
jfmckenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The edge of b#
Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitbraviking
What morals?
I'll raise you one:

Why morals?
jfmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 03:00 PM   #16
Paraleisure
Senior Member
 
Paraleisure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican randonneur
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The moral is definitely to practice track standing until you can beat all red lights. It only takes a couple of hours to learn.
Paraleisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 04:47 PM   #17
nocoins
Philly bike nerd
 
nocoins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Center City Philadelphia
Bikes: 2003 Fuji Track Bike,Pink Univega, Mixed part BMX, Early 70's Columbia Tandem, Orange and Cream Fixed gear Pursuit bike (Puig), random bikes made from spare parts
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cripiter
so i'm riding with three kids on our way to the bar (sidenote: we drank for 14 hours in total that day)
i'm in the middle and a car cuts us off on a turn, my friend infront of me makes it but i have skip to a quick stop to avoid hitting the car. i go to pull out of my clip because there's now traffic and i can only trackstand for like .0987 seconds low and behold my #$@*%in shoelace gets tangled up and i tip. hit the ground so hard that i bent my toe clip with my foot still in it and broke my toe in the process. so now i'm laid up at home with a blue toe the size of a hoagie when i should be out riding. moral of the story...i don't know just wanted to vent.

hey, where were you drinkin' in philly? i hit up tattooed moms and mcglinchys this past weekend... i am just wondering where the best bar is to drink for 14 hours.... i would need to find a place where I can take a nap in the process... I think if I fell asleep at Dirty Franks I would be absorbed by the filth. I have cheapo velcro shoes that I wear for biking now, they have a really hard bottom and they are pointy at the end so they slip in and out of my clips real nice. i would suggest getting a pair for about 10 bucks in payless or some ****ty store. feel better.
nocoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 07:43 AM   #18
salmonchild
going down...
 
salmonchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South London
Bikes: Custom Raleigh track steel, Ron Kitching frame, given a budget single-speed job, Saracen Nzyme frame with most components upgraded
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohi
He must have become a legend after that! does that mean you are a true londoner?
I dont see many of them in london

oh yes, born and bred in southeast london (guy's hospital to be precise). currently slumming it in holloway road area.
salmonchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 04:27 PM   #19
cripiter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: philly
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoins
hey, where were you drinkin' in philly? i hit up tattooed moms and mcglinchys this past weekend... i am just wondering where the best bar is to drink for 14 hours.... i would need to find a place where I can take a nap in the process... I think if I fell asleep at Dirty Franks I would be absorbed by the filth. I have cheapo velcro shoes that I wear for biking now, they have a really hard bottom and they are pointy at the end so they slip in and out of my clips real nice. i would suggest getting a pair for about 10 bucks in payless or some ****ty store. feel better.
thanks...yeah i'm at moms on a regular basis but the binge for that day started at a friends place when we woke up then on to the beer dist. to buy a case for the 2 of us going out didn't happen till later when we went to silk city for "so you wannna be a rapper" or what ever it's called. but i'm usually at either moms, mcglinchy's, ministry sometimes or places like 700 or silk.
cripiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.