Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-10, 12:05 PM   #1
HRP
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will any TT levers fit on a pair of RB-021s?

Hey folks.

Just tossed an RB-021 on my bike and after a quick spin realized that the flat to the left of the stem isn't big enough to accommodate my hand with a cross lever installed.

This was my first time riding with bullhorns and I actually feel really comfortable riding on the horn bits at the end and think a TT lever would be just about perfect.

Will I have to drill? Are there any that allow a cable to just be routed under the tape?

Thanks!
HRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:33 PM   #2
JiveTurkey
Low car diet
 
JiveTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think just about any can be mounted under the tape. Such as: http://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Reverse...d_sim_dbs_sg_2

Make sure the opening of the bull ends are between 19 and 21mm inner diameter so the brake levers can fit into them (or whatever the range is of the levers you get).
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:33 PM   #3
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~
 
muckymucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay'yayay
Bikes:
Posts: 1,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


i know for sure:

Cane Creek 200 TT fits~
muckymucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:43 PM   #4
cleanupinaisle3
.;/.,
 
cleanupinaisle3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckymucky View Post


i know for sure:

Cane Creek 200 TT fits~
I'm confused about your brake setup. You have both a TT lever and a toptube lever going to the same brake, and it's the rear, and you don't have a front brake? Durrrr, wha'.

[Edit] Oh wait. I just noticed that the toptube lever isn't cabled to anything... Now I'm even more flabbergasted.

If your municipality requires a brake, just put a front brake on. Might as well make it useful, and not look silly.
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 11:49 PM   #5
TimeTravel_0
commuter
 
TimeTravel_0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's one stupid brake setup.
TimeTravel_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 12:11 PM   #6
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTravel_0 View Post
that's one stupid brake setup.
I concur.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 01:22 PM   #7
ThisJauntyGent
Senior Member
 
ThisJauntyGent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP View Post
Hey folks.

Just tossed an RB-021 on my bike and after a quick spin realized that the flat to the left of the stem isn't big enough to accommodate my hand with a cross lever installed.

This was my first time riding with bullhorns and I actually feel really comfortable riding on the horn bits at the end and think a TT lever would be just about perfect.

Will I have to drill? Are there any that allow a cable to just be routed under the tape?

Thanks!

I have the same problem with my 021's: There isn't enough space on the tops with the cross lever installed. However, why not buy a cross-lever designed for a larger diameter bar and install it right next to the stem? Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the bar right next to the stem?
ThisJauntyGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 01:31 PM   #8
Young Version
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chico, CA
Bikes: Ridley X-Night, Wilier Izoard XP, 1981 Bianchi Pista, F. Moser
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
I have the same problem with my 021's: There isn't enough space on the tops with the cross lever installed. However, why not buy a cross-lever designed for a larger diameter bar and install it right next to the stem? Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the bar right next to the stem?
26.0?
Young Version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 01:51 PM   #9
ThisJauntyGent
Senior Member
 
ThisJauntyGent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Version View Post
26.0?
That would make sense... Brilliant deduction!
ThisJauntyGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:00 PM   #10
HRP
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
I have the same problem with my 021's: There isn't enough space on the tops with the cross lever installed. However, why not buy a cross-lever designed for a larger diameter bar and install it right next to the stem? Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the bar right next to the stem?
Still not big enough for me. I have big hands
HRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 03:16 PM   #11
cleanupinaisle3
.;/.,
 
cleanupinaisle3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never found a cross lever that ACTUALLY clamps to a 26 mm section of the bar. Since bars have a 26 mm clamp section but the majority of the bar is another diameter, the bar clamps to this smaller diameter. Why do they make the clamp area so large? Does anyone actually sell a cross lever that really goes right next to the stem?

Anyways I just picked up a pair of 21s for $40. They came with corks in the bar openings... how do I remove them? Or should I just jam them in with a TT lever or a bar end?
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 03:29 PM   #12
ThisJauntyGent
Senior Member
 
ThisJauntyGent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanupinaisle3 View Post
I have never found a cross lever that ACTUALLY clamps to a 26 mm section of the bar. Since bars have a 26 mm clamp section but the majority of the bar is another diameter, the bar clamps to this smaller diameter. Why do they make the clamp area so large? Does anyone actually sell a cross lever that really goes right next to the stem?

Anyways I just picked up a pair of 21s for $40. They came with corks in the bar openings... how do I remove them? Or should I just jam them in with a TT lever or a bar end?
ThisJauntyGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 05:55 PM   #13
cleanupinaisle3
.;/.,
 
cleanupinaisle3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
touche.
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 06:37 PM   #14
Encore
Junior Member
 
Encore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wellington, NZ
Bikes: '79 Morrison Conversion
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanupinaisle3 View Post
I have never found a cross lever that ACTUALLY clamps to a 26 mm section of the bar. Since bars have a 26 mm clamp section but the majority of the bar is another diameter, the bar clamps to this smaller diameter. Why do they make the clamp area so large? Does anyone actually sell a cross lever that really goes right next to the stem?

Anyways I just picked up a pair of 21s for $40. They came with corks in the bar openings... how do I remove them? Or should I just jam them in with a TT lever or a bar end?
I have one of these:

http://paulcomp.com/crosslever.html

and it fits the 26mm clamp area. I've got it rammed right up next to the stem clamp. It's awesome.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 06:56 PM   #15
cleanupinaisle3
.;/.,
 
cleanupinaisle3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Bikes:
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
I have one of these:

http://paulcomp.com/crosslever.html

and it fits the 26mm clamp area. I've got it rammed right up next to the stem clamp. It's awesome.
Wow, pricey! Any cheaper options? I've got some 31.8 Cane Creek levers just in case I want to put them on my track drops, but I'd like to have a 26 mm lever lying around for my bullhorns.
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 AM.