Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺 evilcryalotmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LA San Gabriel, California
    My Bikes
    Custom frame
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Please tell me you guys ride with ONE head phone only...

    An other cyclist on the street with these head phones on, And i call out left side! and he didnt seem to hear me so i called out again. And by the time i was 2 - 3 feet behind him. I call out LEFT SIDE! and i start to out farther on the lane cause there wasnt any cars on the left side. and he seemed surprised about how close i was....

    Moral of the story.

    TITS OR GTFO (: lol no seriously. one head phone guys.

  2. #2
    GONE~
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my god...I had an even worst experience just today.
    I was riding on the bike path near the sea wall today, thought I'd take it for an easy ride on a nice summerish feeling day. I went around the whole path and ended up behind a rollerblade dude with his big ass poseur headphones on, hogging up the whole path with his massive side to side swing with his legs and arms. I yelled 3 or 4 times and he kept on going, I finally found a chance to pass him and I made a skip stop about 2 feet in front of him, totally throwing him off balance and his headphones fell off.
    One headphone wouldn't really work since the wiiiiiiiiiiind would probably extremely loud on the other ear.

  3. #3
    モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺 evilcryalotmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    LA San Gabriel, California
    My Bikes
    Custom frame
    Posts
    2,136
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
    Oh my god...I had an even worst experience just today.
    I was riding on the bike path near the sea wall today, thought I'd take it for an easy ride on a nice summerish feeling day. I went around the whole path and ended up behind a rollerblade dude with his big ass poseur headphones on, hogging up the whole path with his massive side to side swing with his legs and arms. I yelled 3 or 4 times and he kept on going, I finally found a chance to pass him and I made a skip stop about 2 feet in front of him, totally throwing him off balance and his headphones fell off.
    One headphone wouldn't really work since the wiiiiiiiiiiind would probably extremely loud on the other ear.
    Good point, I used to live in Raaaaincouver. But i moved down to Sunny California. And even at the beach it isnt very windie.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swoop and squat

  5. #5
    Senior Member rustybrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    DeSouf
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was passed by two logging trucks today. Two lane highway w/no shoulder. Heard them coming so it wasn't too much of a surprise. But damn, the second one almost clipped me.

    Glad I didn't have my headphones pumping toonage.

  6. #6
    Senior Member cnnrmccloskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    My Bikes
    '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore View Post
    An other cyclist on the street with these head phones on, And i call out left side! and he didnt seem to hear me so i called out again. And by the time i was 2 - 3 feet behind him. I call out LEFT SIDE! and i start to out farther on the lane cause there wasnt any cars on the left side. and he seemed surprised about how close i was....

    Moral of the story.

    TITS OR GTFO (: lol no seriously. one head phone guys.
    only one of my headphones work anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Braden1550 View Post
    Monocoque unicycles with internal gear hubs, ridden by extortionists with an excellent sense of balance.

    You'll see. Unless you drilled out your eyes because they were too heavy.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yellowbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the hell listens to stuff with one ear only? Proper 'phones or nothing.
    I'll eat it first.

  8. #8
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,741
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I stuff 'em in both holes. Fer sure! I just skip to the next thrash metal tune and don't let people pass me, hehehe. Seriously tho, I peek around my shoulder or under my armpit enough that you won't be sneaking up on me.

    If your story happened on a MUP, then, well, you've got a different set of problems there.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-07-10 at 11:11 PM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  9. #9
    Senior Member NateRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,682
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always ride with only one cup of my headphones on... but that's only to hint at the fact that I moonlight as a DJ. Yo ladies check me out!




    in all seriousness though, **** riding with headphones.

    Earbuds and similar "sporty", tiny headphones sound really ****ty. They will ruin your hearing, especially if you're blaring them.

    And I'm not about to pull out my expensive studio and dj headphones and risk ruining them just to have some music during my rides.


    I'm working on music and other sound-related stuff all day, anyways. Feels good to give the ears a break when I'm outdoors.
    Last edited by NateRod; 05-08-10 at 02:04 AM.

  10. #10
    nice to meet me
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Who the hell listens to stuff with one ear only? Proper 'phones or nothing.
    ^rill talk. I wanna hear second guitar parts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I love myself.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Davis/Lafayette, CA
    My Bikes
    1984 trek 460 conversion, 2008 Lynskey R320, Peloton track bike, 1990's MBK trainer, 2004 Fisher tassajara, 70's Raleigh Gran prix. 70's moto mirage conversion (stolen), 80's Shogun Kaze (sold)
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    protip: I dont wear headphones. it just means you aren't riding fast enough.

  12. #12
    Senior Member zonatandem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Posts
    10,110
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they don't or can't hear you, slow down and pat 'em on the butt!

  13. #13
    death from your left F4UX3/2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    scott CR1 rase rig, special__ed langster commuter masheen
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the headphones aren't the problem, it's the way your announcing your pass to other cyclists, calling out "left" only works with people who know what they're doing, which basically excludes everyone on a fixie and 90% of all other types of bike riders. This, albeit demonstrated in a car, is how you should be doing it:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBl0ly40ORg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ride carbon it's "organic" !

  14. #14
    a.k.a. QUADZILLA LoRoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland!
    My Bikes
    Super Pista
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only listen to headphones on the MUP where there is no vehicular traffic. I don't worry about being passed because it almost never happens. I had one of those annoying rollerblader taking up the whole MUP once and she couldn't hear me screaming at her. I had to reach out and touch her flailing arm to get her attention and of course she almost took me out. I also often don't announce when I'm passing people as the general response is for people to look behind them which causes them to veer directly into my path. That or they slow down to the point of feeble-wobble and someday one of them will topple over and take me out. The worst, though, are these tards who walk with dogs on retractable leashes and let them stray all the way to the other side of the path. I would like to beat them about the head and neck.

  15. #15
    poppawheelie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Victoria / Gifu
    My Bikes
    Panasonic, Super Cycle
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding on our "galloping goose" trail a few weeks ago at night and was going over one of the bridges.. almost pitch black aside from the moonlight on the water. I can hear some voices but don't see anyone.... 2 people laying on the middle of the path with their unleashed dog! No lights or anything.. ****ing people...

  16. #16
    supervillain
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
    Oh my god...big ass poseur headphones...I made a skip stop about 2 feet in front of him, totally throwing him off balance

    big ass poseur headphones are the WORST amiright
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin255 View Post

    Keep in mind the recommended PSI to inflate your tire doesnt include the weight of you on the bike, so keep it 10-20 psi lower than recommendation

  17. #17
    Senior Member Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tickets for wearing headphones/earbuds/etc. while cycling, I say.

  18. #18
    Delusional Laserbrain Germanicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Orange, NJ
    My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Tricross, 1993 Giant Iguana rebuild w/ singlespeed drive train
    Posts
    396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both earbuds & I always here traffic approaching. But keep the volume moderately low and just keep peeking over my shoulder.

    Unless of course Motörhead comes on and then its full volume and every man for himself.

  19. #19
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,464
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should have pushed him in the shoulder with your hand as you passed. idiot. I see college kids with huge headphones - the kind that completely cover the ears riding with no helmet.

    I ride with just a right earbud so I car hear the approaching traffic. though sometimes a bike can approach without me hearing them, but guys who pass me have great quiet bikes and technique. I keep the volume only loud enough to hear the song. since I know the songs well enough; I don't need volume to enjoy them.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  20. #20
    But these go to 11.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Berlin
    My Bikes
    Charge Racer, Mars Spezial Klapprad, '36 Hawthorne, Sears Stingray
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no need for headphones. I am so awesome there is a full band following me everywhere, blaring death metal turned up to 11.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    540
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldn't matter anyway I can only hear in one ear.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode with headphones for the first time last week. I have a set of Shure ear buds, but they just seal too well. Not only could I not hear sh*t - I felt like it was messing with my head/balance. Only rode with them about 7 miles before giving it up. If I do headphones again it will have to be an on ear type and not a bud.

    That or zip tie a battery powered iPhone dock to my bars.
    Kilo TT
    Univega Viva Sport mixte
    '82 SR Semi-Pro (sold)

  23. #23
    mechanically sound frankenmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dover, NH
    My Bikes
    rigid 29er moto, s-works stumpjumper fsr,black fixie,masi roadbike, ugly old hardrock commuter
    Posts
    1,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoRoK View Post
    I only listen to headphones on the MUP where there is no vehicular traffic. I don't worry about being passed because it almost never happens. I had one of those annoying rollerblader taking up the whole MUP once and she couldn't hear me screaming at her. I had to reach out and touch her flailing arm to get her attention and of course she almost took me out. I also often don't announce when I'm passing people as the general response is for people to look behind them which causes them to veer directly into my path. That or they slow down to the point of feeble-wobble and someday one of them will topple over and take me out. The worst, though, are these tards who walk with dogs on retractable leashes and let them stray all the way to the other side of the path. I would like to beat them about the head and neck.
    Ahh, yes- the good ol' bosque. I can totally relate. I often don't announce passing for the exact same reasons.

  24. #24
    . xavier853's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    My Bikes
    Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both, but I only ride with the volume turned down so that I can still hear things happening on the road.

  25. #25
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ____asdfghjkl View Post
    wouldn't matter anyway I can only hear in one ear.
    Me too but no one can seem to figure out why.
    The unused bud gets wrapped up and clipped to my shirt so it doesn't swing around and pull the other one out.

    Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by SBFixed View Post
    You're a dick, if your bike gets stolen I hope that you don't get a thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •