Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-10, 12:54 PM   #1
illdthedj
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
illdthedj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca
Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
freewheel on track hub?

hi!

i did a half-assed search and didnt really notice anything, so i thought id litter the boards with another lame thread, sorry in advance

so, a friend of mine (no really, its not me lol) bought a velocity wheelset off bell's bike shop. He asked for a flip/flop hub and got a hub with fixed on both sides.

I told him he should call and ask for a refund/return, whatever, he calls them, and they tell him "oh you can run a freewheel on a fixed hub no problem, we do that all the time" or something (i didn't talk to them, this is what my friend told me they said)

this sounds fishy to me, almost like they dont want to deal with a return/refund for their fu@kup.

ANYWAY, the question:

is it really possible to install and ride a freewheel on a track hub? now while i think its possible (i mean it can thread on) i would think its unsafe because its probably not threading all the way on.

please let me know if i should tell my friend to fight for a refund/exchange (which i am leaning towards) or if you have personal experience with a freewheel on a track hub with no problems whatsoever.

thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered many times before.
illdthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:09 PM   #2
cnnrmccloskey
Senior Member
 
cnnrmccloskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland Oregon
Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdthedj View Post
hi!

i did a half-assed search and didnt really notice anything, so i thought id litter the boards with another lame thread, sorry in advance

so, a friend of mine (no really, its not me lol) bought a velocity wheelset off bell's bike shop. He asked for a flip/flop hub and got a hub with fixed on both sides.

I told him he should call and ask for a refund/return, whatever, he calls them, and they tell him "oh you can run a freewheel on a fixed hub no problem, we do that all the time" or something (i didn't talk to them, this is what my friend told me they said)

this sounds fishy to me, almost like they dont want to deal with a return/refund for their fu@kup.

ANYWAY, the question:

is it really possible to install and ride a freewheel on a track hub? now while i think its possible (i mean it can thread on) i would think its unsafe because its probably not threading all the way on.

please let me know if i should tell my friend to fight for a refund/exchange (which i am leaning towards) or if you have personal experience with a freewheel on a track hub with no problems whatsoever.

thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered many times before.
Yes 100% fine
fixed/fixed hubs are the only kind of flip flop hub anyone should ever buy for this reason
just think about how much of a thread-on freewheel cluster is unsupported by the threads.
cnnrmccloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:13 PM   #3
illdthedj
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
illdthedj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca
Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my only concern is when you screw the freewheel onto a track hub, not all of the freewheel threads will be threaded on....some bike mechanic guy i talked to over the phone when asking if they sold a freewheel removal tool said that there is a possibility of stripping the threads if riding a freewheel on a fixed hub....
illdthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:20 PM   #4
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why would removing a freewheel strip but not a track cog if using the same number of threads? You're fine.
__________________
http://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:27 PM   #5
illdthedj
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
illdthedj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca
Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well.... dosn't a freewheel cog have more threads than a track cog? im just imagining the freewheel would only screw half way or 3/4s way onto the track hub...

i dunno, i just wanna make sure my buddy is safe and a bike shop isn't just telling him "oh yah its cool" when it isn't lol

im stilll sort of bike-newbish, but hes even more newb than me and asks me for info so im trying to make sure things are cool and he isn't being duped.
illdthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:52 PM   #6
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are correct that a cog has less threads than a freewheel. In practice, however, freewheels thread on very strongly onto track hubs. It's safe to do.

There are crappy hubs where the threads can be stripped, but there it doesn't make any difference whether you use a cog or a freewheel - the material of the hub's shell is too weak and each will strip the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdthedj View Post
well.... dosn't a freewheel cog have more threads than a track cog? im just imagining the freewheel would only screw half way or 3/4s way onto the track hub...

i dunno, i just wanna make sure my buddy is safe and a bike shop isn't just telling him "oh yah its cool" when it isn't lol

im stilll sort of bike-newbish, but hes even more newb than me and asks me for info so im trying to make sure things are cool and he isn't being duped.
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 01:56 PM   #7
illdthedj
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
illdthedj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Modesto, Ca
Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok cool, looks like consensus is it will be fine.
i was just making sure, thanks people!

ps blick i dig the bags!
illdthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 02:40 PM   #8
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life
 
wearyourtruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore
Bikes:
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it should be fine, but i do think they are being lazy about their own screw-up
wearyourtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 12:46 AM   #9
blickblocks
.
 
blickblocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdthedj View Post
ok cool, looks like consensus is it will be fine.
i was just making sure, thanks people!

ps blick i dig the bags!
Yeah you're golden

and thanks!
__________________
http://blicksbags.com/
blickblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 02:08 AM   #10
zzyzx_xyzzy
headtube.
 
zzyzx_xyzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdthedj View Post
He asked for a flip/flop hub and got a hub with fixed on both sides.
any hub with threads on both sides is a 'flip flop,' whether it's fixed/fixed or fixed/free or free/free.

as everyone said there's no problem with putting a freewheel on fixed threading.
zzyzx_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 08:35 AM   #11
cg1985
Goon
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a fixed/fixed track hub witha 15t fixed on one side and a 16t free on the other. Worked great!

Of course ever since I put on the Fixed cog I am not sure I'll go back to the free. Unfortunately I don't have the proper freewheel removal tool at home. Looks like I'll have to wait till I remember it next time I am at the LSB with my bike.
cg1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 09:23 AM   #12
the_don
Senior Member
 
the_don's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
I have a fixed/fixed track hub witha 15t fixed on one side and a 16t free on the other. Worked great!

Of course ever since I put on the Fixed cog I am not sure I'll go back to the free. Unfortunately I don't have the proper freewheel removal tool at home. Looks like I'll have to wait till I remember it next time I am at the LSB with my bike.
That's why fixed/fixed is best. you can run free/free, free/fixed or fixed/fixed
the_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 10:28 AM   #13
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
Of course ever since I put on the Fixed cog I am not sure I'll go back to the free. Unfortunately I don't have the proper freewheel removal tool at home. Looks like I'll have to wait till I remember it next time I am at the LSB with my bike.
Or you could just order it from the intertubes. What freewheel is it? Piccy?
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.