Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bland Diego, CA
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Motobecane Jury FAIL

    I've read the last thread, from about July of last year, regarding the FRONT brake reach issue. The problem I have is that the front and rear brakes have a significantly different reach, so that unless I run mismatched brakes I need to use a drop bolt for the REAR to run 700c's. Even worse, the front is nutted and the rear is recessed, so that even if I bought the longest reach brake I could for the rear, the mounting method would be COMPLETELY BACKWARD from what would be required.

    To me this seems like a mistake in designing/manufacturing; what POSSIBLE REASON could there be for building a frame requiring two different brakes f/r? To let that continue, and further, to continue to market the frameset with such a huge and obvious design flaw is irresponsible.

    I hereby declare the Motobecane Jury to be a huge piece of CRAP, and those who build it to be hucksters, those who sell them to be charlatans, and those who don't think it's a serious problem to be IDIOTS. Not all of us want to run a single brake, and if the bridge is there it should be at the proper height, period. Even if I ran 27's, I would still be faced with a different mounting sitch f/r, and that is just plain STUPID.

  2. #2
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Rob View Post
    I've read the last thread, from about July of last year, regarding the FRONT brake reach issue. The problem I have is that the front and rear brakes have a significantly different reach, so that unless I run mismatched brakes I need to use a drop bolt for the REAR to run 700c's. Even worse, the front is nutted and the rear is recessed, so that even if I bought the longest reach brake I could for the rear, the mounting method would be COMPLETELY BACKWARD from what would be required.

    To me this seems like a mistake in designing/manufacturing; what POSSIBLE REASON could there be for building a frame requiring two different brakes f/r? To let that continue, and further, to continue to market the frameset with such a huge and obvious design flaw is irresponsible.

    I hereby declare the Motobecane Jury to be a huge piece of CRAP, and those who build it to be hucksters, those who sell them to be charlatans, and those who don't think it's a serious problem to be IDIOTS. Not all of us want to run a single brake, and if the bridge is there it should be at the proper height, period. Even if I ran 27's, I would still be faced with a different mounting sitch f/r,
    and that is just plain STUPID.
    You mean kinda like this...

    BD is notorious for putting out poorly though out designs. The geometry doesn't always make the most sense for intended application, and not even always appears to be consistent with the posted geometry chart, half the frames have fender eyelets but no clearance for fenders. Don't even get me started in the pointless double top top. Some of this doesn't really matter, like the pointless fender eyelets, as long as you know what you are getting into. But the Jury frame is probably the best example of a BD **** up that I can think of. I think BDs head office is located on the island of misfit toys.


  3. #3
    MARGINALS
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    09 Tarmac Pro SL / Sunday BMX /
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does the saying go?

    Oh yeah, you get what you pay for.

    You can get a deal on a bike from BD, but you can also get a complete POS.

  4. #4
    Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz cc700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Militis 3
    Posts
    8,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is like complaining about a pair of champion C9 sneakers. you got them for 15.99. stop critiquing them like they're air jordans.

  5. #5
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cc700 View Post
    this is like complaining about a pair of champion C9 sneakers. you got them for 15.99. stop critiquing them like they're air jordans.
    That analogy is not really applicable. It doesn't cost anything to have a correctly positioned brake bridge and no one should expect to have to pay a premium for a frame that is compatible with itself. Even the cheapest POS bikes at walmart have correctly positioned brake bridges.

  6. #6
    Rebel Rouser redfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    fort worth, TX
    My Bikes
    kilo TT, dawes touring lightning, unknown BCM lugged conversion
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree, the design should be updated. I ran only a front brake so it worked out fine but if i wanted to run a rear one it'd be a whole new can of worms. I think they should do a revamp on the design
    <>< God Speed ><>

  7. #7
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    That analogy is not really applicable. It doesn't cost anything to have a correctly positioned brake bridge and no one should expect to have to pay a premium for a frame that is compatible with itself. Even the cheapest POS bikes at walmart have correctly positioned brake bridges.
    have you ever tried to position a brake bridge? It's a lot harder than it looks, especially when you want maximum tire clearance. Go grab yourself a welding torch, give it a try, and then complain. It was pretty obviously a misscommunication between BD and the factory actually making it. They have completely fessed up to the situation, admitted it was a problem, and will presumably fix it in the next production runs.

    And now you come along, read a thread, haven't spent a dime, and start declaring them hucksters. I mean, I give you credit for using the word huckster, but why are you so concerned about the Jury, it's not like you suffered at it's hands, it didn't cost you a thing

  8. #8
    Veteran Mother****er Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle / Leader 725 / 1975 Raleigh Professional Track
    Posts
    23,360
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This sums it up quite nicely:

    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    BD is notorious for putting out poorly though out designs. The geometry doesn't always make the most sense for intended application, and not even always appears to be consistent with the posted geometry chart, half the frames have fender eyelets but no clearance for fenders. Don't even get me started in the pointless double top tube. Some of this doesn't really matter, like the pointless fender eyelets, as long as you know what you are getting into.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
    It was pretty obviously a misscommunication between BD and the factory actually making it. They have completely fessed up to the situation, admitted it was a problem, and will presumably fix it in the next production runs.
    If that is the case, they shouldn't even be selling to f'ed up frames, at least not without a steep discount.

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
    And now you come along, read a thread, haven't spent a dime, and start declaring them hucksters. I mean, I give you credit for using the word huckster, but why are you so concerned about the Jury, it's not like you suffered at it's hands, it didn't cost you a thing
    I never used the word "huskster". And stop overreacting.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the Jury is pretty poorly designed. I had one for a couple of years and dealt with the drop-bolt and other annoyances and I definitely got my money's worth. Then I bought a Steamroller (which is the frame the Jury was a copy/"improvement" of) and realized how poorly the Jury was designed.

    If the brake bridge was lower, and there was more chainring/chainstay clearance, the Jury would be a great frame.

  11. #11
    extra bitter kyselad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety
    Posts
    1,558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't get why all their wide tire designs don't use cantis like the Uno. It's nice to have such a wide variety of models, but strange that only that one seems to hit the practical high notes for me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    Norco CCX1, GF HiFi Plus, Dawes SST AL
    Posts
    108
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe because cantis really kinda blow. I spend more time tweaking the damn cantis on my cross bike than any other adjustments on my three bikes. Setting the toe-in all the time to keep them quiet is such a pain. For thin road tires, calipers are great. The Tektro calipers on my SST AL are pretty damn good.

    Once the tire gets larger though v-brakes or discs are better choices. I much prefer discs (Elixir CRs on my MTB, pretty amazing). If I could mount a rotor to my Aksiums for the cross bike I would definitely be running BB7s. I'll probably end up going to mini-Vs instead of replacing my pads when I wear these down mainly because I don't want to buy another wheelset (and 130mm spaced disc hubs are hard to find).
    ClintonRH
    My favorite toys : Lemond Buenos Aires '07, Norco CCX 1 '07, G.F. HiFi Plus '08, Dawes SST AL '09

  13. #13
    Senior Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Between the mountains and the lake.
    My Bikes
    8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
    Posts
    16,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So someone is complaining about a bike they don't even own?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    So someone is complaining about a bike they don't even own?
    Not me. I'm complaining about a bike I own.

  15. #15
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    3,869
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
    You mean kinda like this...[/IMG]
    Meh. I have one of those bikes (Kilo OS), and after a little customizing (chrome stem & seatpost, chrome track drops w/ leather wrap, remove wheel stickers & tape over ugly logos), it's a good bike that looks a little different than every other thing out there. God forbid someone have a bike that doesn't have the blessing of the Arbiters of Style, eh? I mean, it rides well and I like the way it looks (including the double top tube), so who cares?
    Last edited by lostarchitect; 05-17-10 at 12:43 PM.

  16. #16
    Uber Newbie squeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FWB, FL
    My Bikes
    1975 Schwinn Collegiate Sport, 2010 Mercier Kilo OS
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    Meh. I have one of those bikes (Kilo OS), and after a little customizing (chrome stem & seatpost, chrome track drops w/ leather wrap, remove wheel stickers & tape over ugly logos), it's a good bike that looks a little different than every other thing out there. God forbid someone have a bike that doesn't have the blessing of the Arbiters of Style, eh? I mean, it rides well and I like the way it looks (including the double top tube), so who cares?

    Amen, brother. I first saw the Kilo OS in a thread here bashing it. Didn't stop me. I also bought one. Like you said, why would you want to ride something that looks identical to most other bikes. I also agree that they went a little crazy with the logos, and it sucks that they are under the clear coat. I am also working on cleaning mine up some. I bought it for the uniqueness. I also don't care about any added weight that the double top tube adds. It's my first fixed gear and I absolutely love it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bland Diego, CA
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oh, but I did buy it, friendo...

    I got the frameset for $80 new, w/o the drop bolt that Bike Island includes with the ones they sell for $250. I drilled the rear hole on the fork to accept a recessed bolt, and mounted a Tektro R556. The black caliper and headset look great against the orange frame. And yes, I am big on aesthetics, being a former owner of a LAVENDER GT Pro Performer Eddie Fiola World Tour.

    I did read the other threads about it and found it at such a good price I figured I couldn't go wrong, and what I found is what most of you seem to agree on, that the brake bridge is wrong, wrong, wrong. If there was a problem between the factory and seller then they should hash it out or sell them as cheap as I got mine. Why pass along the mistake and bone your customers? I hope they fired at least one person over it.

    Oh, and I do like the single top tube Kilo frameset, BI has them unbranded in some really nice colors. Any problems with those frames? One of you mentioned adding a polished headset and chrome fork, that was my plan also. They have a fully lugged chrome frameset (also unbranded) for about $325 that I've been eying as well.

  18. #18
    incazzare. lostarchitect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    See sig
    Posts
    3,869
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squeaver View Post
    Amen, brother. I first saw the Kilo OS in a thread here bashing it. Didn't stop me. I also bought one. Like you said, why would you want to ride something that looks identical to most other bikes. I also agree that they went a little crazy with the logos, and it sucks that they are under the clear coat. I am also working on cleaning mine up some. I bought it for the uniqueness. I also don't care about any added weight that the double top tube adds. It's my first fixed gear and I absolutely love it.
    The funny thing about it to me is that the BD photos (especially the one above in this thread) make it look much less nice than it actually is. I'm looking at mine right now, and it is a damn good looking bike.. and more so because I made some personal changes to it.

  19. #19
    Uber Newbie squeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FWB, FL
    My Bikes
    1975 Schwinn Collegiate Sport, 2010 Mercier Kilo OS
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
    The funny thing about it to me is that the BD photos (especially the one above in this thread) make it look much less nice than it actually is. I'm looking at mine right now, and it is a damn good looking bike.. and more so because I made some personal changes to it.

    X2. I am just trying to decide what to do to mine first.


    More than a few years ago, while I was deployed to Kuwait, I decided I wanted a road bike. So, me and my infinite wisdom, went to ebay and started looking. I found a $200 Dawes, and thought it was a great idea. I talked the wife into it, and when I got home, I had a bike in a box waiting for me. That bike was absolute garbage. Sure the frame seemed alright, but the components were so-so, and I never took it to an LBS to get it tuned up right. Which is totally my fault. When I first stumbled upon BikesDirect, I saw Dawes, and immediately said I would never buy from them again. Then, I figured, if I am looking for a fixed gear, less tuning is needed, why not. I guess I just lucked out with my OS.

  20. #20
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,318
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Rob View Post
    I am big on aesthetics, being a former owner of a LAVENDER GT Pro Performer Eddie Fiola World Tour.
    Whoa, the only thing that could beat that would be a 1985 yellow Redline RL 20 II with a lavender stem.
    Last edited by mihlbach; 05-22-10 at 05:48 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •