Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: tires...help!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    tires...help!

    i know this topic has probably been beaten to death.... sorry!

    so my rear tire's tread has worn all the way down, and it's only been about 2 months since they were brand new. they were just the cheap stock kenda's that came with my kilo. reading online has just confused me even more

    so for now i'm riding brakeless so i have been skidding/skipping a lot, though i try to minimize it. my friend told me to get the randonneurs (?) but i read on a thread recently that they wear out very quickly. i've considered gatorskins but i've read that they aren't very comfortable. i've also seen recommendations for vittoria rubinos.

    also the second number (like 23C) i understand is the width of the tire walls (correct me i'm wrong) is this a preference thing or do the rims require a certain size. i assume if its a preference thing, the wider will equate to longer life but slower tire? i like going fast, but i skid so i assume ii'd want something in the middle.

    thanks ahead of time for shedding me some light

  2. #2
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,300
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The second number is the width of the tire. Wider tire means slower tire but softer ride; not sure about the lifespan however...
    25C is a good size; not to marrow or wide.
    In my opinion I would go with gatorskins; their puncture resistance is superior to any other tire, industry proven; in addition you have less down time repairing tubes.

  3. #3
    vice campaign arcade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    1980's Melton track
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ride randonneurs and find that they work just fine. it all depends on your terrain, really. rough roads with lots of puncturing debris is what led me to randonneurs... and i haven't looked back, even from gatorskins (which i don't really have a whole lot bad to say about, i lost track of the miles i put on them due to an injury) but randonneurs are a few bucks cheaper and do the job for me.

  4. #4
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,908
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont worry about wide tires slowing you down. They'll be more comfortable and you probably wont notice a speed difference unless you get something really wide. I have friends that do just fine on the 20+mph rides with cyclocross bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  5. #5
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 35mm tires on one of my bikes and they're not slow at all.
    it's all in the quality of the tire.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  6. #6
    a.k.a. QUADZILLA LoRoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland!
    My Bikes
    Super Pista
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    In my opinion I would go with gatorskins; their puncture resistance is superior to any other tire, industry proven; in addition you have less down time repairing tubes.
    I've found better puncture resistant tires that ride way better than 'skins. They're Schwalbe Ultremo DD with the ceramic guard thing. I've put over 1000 miles on them with not a single flat, and I live in goathead country. The ride is comparable to the Conti 4000. They're not cheap though. I ride brakeless, but hardly ever do sick skiddddzzzzzz so they'll probably last me for a long time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwalbe is the premier bicycle tire manufacturer on the planet in my opinion. Buy anything Schwalbe and you are buying quality. I've also heard good things about the Vittoria Open Pavé Evo.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, changing gear ratios can make your tires last much longer. Certain gear ratios cause you to skid in the exact same spot on your tire every time. Others spread skidding patches around the circumference of the tire.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    My Bikes
    mid-80's Bianchi, converted to single speed, purple
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Maxxis Re-Fuse on my bike. has not been that long, but I have heard they are pretty durable.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Believe it or not, changing gear ratios can make your tires last much longer.
    so can using brakes. *huge* difference...
    Quote Originally Posted by politely removed
    I am ****ing devoted too. I am moving into my friend's closet just so I can save up for bike stuff.
    well, here's some for you! everything's for sale...

  11. #11
    . bbattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, '80's Gardin Shred?, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)
    Posts
    11,760
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brakes will stop you faster AND save you money on tires. And if there's a time when you need to prove your street cred, you can always skid. That is the reason you're riding brakeless, right?

  12. #12
    .;/., cleanupinaisle3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wider tires don't always necessarily mean slower. They will, however, mean greater comfort when going over bumpy/uneven/cracked streets. And fewer burst tubes. That's why all the FGFS kids try to get the fattest tires possible on their bikes, even if it means crimping their chainstays. The wider your tires, the more it'll be like riding a super comfy mountain bike!

    25/28c is usually a decent size for comfort. i'm sure the kilo can fit 28c tires with no issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by plowmanjoe View Post
    jackass basket angle
    ---->http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1thumbnail.jpg

  13. #13
    chickenosaurus j3ffr3y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper
    Posts
    1,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanupinaisle3 View Post
    all the FGFS kids try to get the fattest tires possible on their bikes\
    you mean that its time for me to ditch the 23c tires. I'm no longer cool?
    2010 Motobecane Team Track
    1997 GT Edge
    2012 Kilo TT Stripper

  14. #14
    Goon
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... I've had gatorskins on two bikes, and I've had quite a bit of flats. I have been thinking of getting new tires. Anyone know how good the Schwalbe Citizens are? they are pretty inexpensive as far as schwalbe tires go.
    No matter how bad things get, they can't get any better, and they can't get any worse, things are what they are, so you better get used to it Nancy, quit your B*tchin'

    -Church

  15. #15
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfixguy View Post
    Schwalbe is the premier bicycle tire manufacturer on the planet in my opinion. Buy anything Schwalbe and you are buying quality. I've also heard good things about the Vittoria Open Pavé Evo.
    that's just not true... the cheaper stuff really is cheap, just like any other maker.
    shimano 2200 and sora are really junk, just like campagnolo mirage and xenon.

    Quote Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
    So... I've had gatorskins on two bikes, and I've had quite a bit of flats. I have been thinking of getting new tires. Anyone know how good the Schwalbe Citizens are? they are pretty inexpensive as far as schwalbe tires go.
    you have gatorskins and you're still getting flats? If they're not pinch flats, then the only tire that's better would be schwalbe marathon plus, but they run a bit wide, even in 25mm width and have a terrible ride quality for widths under 35mm.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  16. #16
    Goon
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    that's just not true... the cheaper stuff really is cheap, just like any other maker.
    shimano 2200 and sora are really junk, just like campagnolo mirage and xenon.



    you have gatorskins and you're still getting flats? If they're not pinch flats, then the only tire that's better would be schwalbe marathon plus, but they run a bit wide, even in 25mm width and have a terrible ride quality for widths under 35mm.
    I've never had a pinch flat. But I used to commute to work and I would get flats all the f'n time. It was really frustrating. I would find little pieces of jagged rock or glass or something that would cause it. A staple happened a few times.

    The only thing I can possibly think of why it wouldn't be the tires fault is this:

    I have a Road Morph frame pump. It has a little pressure Gauge. So When I pumped up my tires I would pump it up the the 120 psi the tires were rated for. My pump at home didn't seem to like presta valves (though it said it would work), so I used this a lot at home too.

    If the Pressure guage was inaccurate at higher pressures (which seems very plausible, given how roughly it moves as you approach high pressure), than I could have been over inflating the tires.

    That would increase flat vulnerability if I understand it correctly.

    I run the 25mm Gatorskins on both my road bike and fixed gear. I have a new shop pump that works well for Presta's so I suppose I'll see.

    I just know I've had days where I've gotten flats, repaired the flat on the road, only to get another flat later on in the ride (different location on the tire so it wasn't just me missing the object that punctured.
    No matter how bad things get, they can't get any better, and they can't get any worse, things are what they are, so you better get used to it Nancy, quit your B*tchin'

    -Church

  17. #17
    Senior Member NateRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,682
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next set of tires will probably be Schwalbe Duranos.

    I'd prefer Ultremos, but they're a bit too much for my budget right now.

  18. #18
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
    I've never had a pinch flat. But I used to commute to work and I would get flats all the f'n time. It was really frustrating. I would find little pieces of jagged rock or glass or something that would cause it. A staple happened a few times.

    The only thing I can possibly think of why it wouldn't be the tires fault is this:

    I have a Road Morph frame pump. It has a little pressure Gauge. So When I pumped up my tires I would pump it up the the 120 psi the tires were rated for. My pump at home didn't seem to like presta valves (though it said it would work), so I used this a lot at home too.

    If the Pressure guage was inaccurate at higher pressures (which seems very plausible, given how roughly it moves as you approach high pressure), than I could have been over inflating the tires.

    That would increase flat vulnerability if I understand it correctly.

    I run the 25mm Gatorskins on both my road bike and fixed gear. I have a new shop pump that works well for Presta's so I suppose I'll see.

    I just know I've had days where I've gotten flats, repaired the flat on the road, only to get another flat later on in the ride (different location on the tire so it wasn't just me missing the object that punctured.
    you could also try some tire liners, which is basically what the "plus" in schwalbe marathon tires are.
    also, there is an 'ideal' pressure for different tire widths and rider weights. usually the tire manufacturer has those somewhere on their site.
    Last edited by AEO; 05-31-10 at 10:15 AM.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  19. #19
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,300
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoRoK View Post
    I've found better puncture resistant tires that ride way better than 'skins. They're Schwalbe Ultremo DD with the ceramic guard thing. I've put over 1000 miles on them with not a single flat, and I live in goathead country. The ride is comparable to the Conti 4000. They're not cheap though. I ride brakeless, but hardly ever do sick skiddddzzzzzz so they'll probably last me for a long time.
    Oh really? Gotta try those out then

  20. #20
    Goon
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you could also try some tire liners, which is basically what the "plus" in schwalbe marathon tires are.
    also, there is an 'ideal' pressure for different tire widths and rider weights. usually the tire manufacturer has those somewhere on their site.
    Checked Conti's site.
    Sure enough their ideal pressure for 25mm GatorSkins is 95.

    Thanks.
    No matter how bad things get, they can't get any better, and they can't get any worse, things are what they are, so you better get used to it Nancy, quit your B*tchin'

    -Church

  21. #21
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,300
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you could also try some tire liners,
    On that note any of you guys run tire liners? I've always thought about it....

  22. #22
    a.k.a. QUADZILLA LoRoK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland!
    My Bikes
    Super Pista
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happypills View Post
    Oh really? Gotta try those out then
    I scored a pair, brand new, on ebay for $70!

  23. #23
    King of the Hipsters
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AS A GENERAL STATEMENT, 25 mm tires provide the fastest on-real-streets riding.

    A very light rider might go faster with 23's, and a very heavy rider might go faster with 28's.

    That said, either gear down or put on a front brake, and stop skidding.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    ...[crappy japanese components] are really junk, just like campagnolo mirage and xenon.
    campy? junk? shut your mouth, girlfriend!
    Quote Originally Posted by politely removed
    I am ****ing devoted too. I am moving into my friend's closet just so I can save up for bike stuff.
    well, here's some for you! everything's for sale...

  25. #25
    Senior Member NateRod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,682
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cox View Post
    AS A GENERAL STATEMENT, 25 mm tires provide the fastest on-real-streets riding.

    A very light rider might go faster with 23's, and a very heavy rider might go faster with 28's.
    Interesting. What's the logic behind this? 23's flex more easily under weight resulting in larger contact area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •