Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Employee Smorgasbord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA, USA, Earth
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    You'd better put on rear brake...

    I was out casually riding the neighborhood, killing time before going to Saturday Ultimate pick-up and warming up my muscles. Some guy comes by at around my pretty slow pace and tells me, "You know you'd better put on a rear brake or you're going to die." This guy was in his 30s, wore a cycling cap, and jersey. I cannot recall if he had on cycling shorts, but his bike seemed pretty nice - not just a casual cyclist. (Just to give you an idea of his possible background). He said his comment with obvious distain and criticism.

    I thanked him and let him get ahead of me, musing over the incident. I realize that I noticed the cycling cap because he was not wearing a helmet. Now, I wear a helmet by my choice and I won't ride without one. However, I try respect the choices of others to not wear helmets, and do not attempt to convert experienced cyclists who make this choice. Interesting that he would criticize me for not sporting a rear brake. He approached my bike slowly from the rear, so he would have noticed my single gear. I wonder if he knows what a fixed gear bicycle is...



    I found this encounter interesting, thought I'd share.

  2. #2
    Employee Smorgasbord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA, USA, Earth
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the term for having a witty retort, but only after it is too late to deliver it? I know there is such a word/phrase in both French and German, but English lacks such a idiom.

  3. #3
    Maglia Ciclamino gcasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised he made such a comment with a bare cranium. Either way, his dick is loose. Just have to brush that one off, man.

  4. #4
    NYCPistaRider
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    167
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgasbord
    What is the term for having a witty retort, but only after it is too late to deliver it? I know there is such a word/phrase in both French and German, but English lacks such a idiom.
    l'esprit d'escalier -- or staircase wit.

  5. #5
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being a fixie rider, I wouldn't know. But say I'm doing about 25 mph and all of a sudden I notice the car in front of me jams on its brakes and I brake hard as I swerve and notice that there's a line of pedestrians at the crosswalk and I'm in that gap with cars to the left and right of me. If I grab my front and rear brake hard and slide my ass back, would I stop faster if I have brakes or no brakes?

  6. #6
    Senior Member progre-ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Poconos, PA
    My Bikes
    Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
    Posts
    1,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd probably "stop" faster. But the fixie rider would have already sensed the braking car in front of him ahead of time and would've switched to another lane and already be blowing through a gap in the pedestrians in the crosswalk and across the intersection by the time you stopped.
    80s era Miele fixie convert

    Volume Flatline bmx
    SS-converted Trek mtb
    fixed gear Dahon Boardwalk folding bike

  7. #7
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by progre-ss
    You'd probably "stop" faster. But the fixie rider would have already sensed the braking car in front of him ahead of time and would've switched to another lane and already be blowing through a gap in the pedestrians in the crosswalk and across the intersection by the time you stopped.
    Oh that's right, the 6th sense. Hehehe I completely forgot, I should've known.

  8. #8
    (Grouchy)
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...or you don't get yourself in such a situation. don't ride that close behind a car if you're going 25mph, and watch for peds. there was something i learned in drivers' ed. about knowing your stopping distance and looking ahead something like 10 seconds. following distance is about 1 second per MPH.

    of course, sometimes, situations like that are unavoidable. but if there are peds in the crosswalk, you should've seen them already and been slowing down, or aiming for a gap.

  9. #9
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
    ...or you don't get yourself in such a situation. don't ride that close behind a car if you're going 25mph, and watch for peds. there was something i learned in drivers' ed. about knowing your stopping distance and looking ahead something like 10 seconds. following distance is about 1 second per MPH.

    of course, sometimes, situations like that are unavoidable. but if there are peds in the crosswalk, you should've seen them already and been slowing down, or aiming for a gap.
    I was hoping to be humored in that 0.1% of the time when your powers of perception only go so far as to not being able to see through a parked car blocking the view of the sidewalk.

  10. #10
    Employee Smorgasbord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA, USA, Earth
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that two brakes will probably stop me faster than one. I try to take this into account with my riding - just as you might alter your riding style in rainy conditions. With only a front brake and on a fixed gear I can still stop very quickly, though. I did not mean that this man was wrong, merely that it was an interesting situation. Personally, I think riding fixed with only a front brake and a helmet is safer than riding geared with two brakes and no helmet. I made (and reaffirm) my riding choices based on this opinion. This man seems to think otherwise. I suppose I am wandering into the helmet safety debate somewhat, and I would like to avoid this thread re hashing this overdiscussed topic.

  11. #11
    Employee Smorgasbord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA, USA, Earth
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCpistarider
    l'esprit d'escalier -- or staircase wit.
    I knew it had to do with steps, I kept googling for French idioms with steps and the like (obviously not stairs...)

    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Senior Member g_taco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCpistarider
    l'esprit d'escalier -- or staircase wit.
    I was looking for something like this, thanks. Now comes the hard part. How to pronounce this french stuff?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Not being a fixie rider, I wouldn't know. But say I'm doing about 25 mph and all of a sudden I notice the car in front of me jams on its brakes and I brake hard as I swerve and notice that there's a line of pedestrians at the crosswalk and I'm in that gap with cars to the left and right of me. If I grab my front and rear brake hard and slide my ass back, would I stop faster if I have brakes or no brakes?
    heh, my wrestling coach would always show us these moves to use on people, and it always seemed that I was the demonstrator, becuase I was the only guy that was about my coaches height and weight. He would have me in all twisted up like a pretzel, and when he was done, I'd ask, "ok...how do I get out?" and he would say, "dont get in it...". reminds me of the replies here...

  14. #14
    Shiftless bum cavit8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Ciocc fixed, Raleigh record winter bike, Bianchi Grizzly SS, Pinarello Surprise, Raleigh Twenty, Bridgestone Picnica, various sundry bits and pieces...
    Posts
    2,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by g_taco
    I was looking for something like this, thanks. Now comes the hard part. How to pronounce this french stuff?
    lespree deskalyay

    (emphasis on the kal -- although I'm an anglo pig, so I may have screwed that up somewhat).
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    truneo that tuned park internal nipple wrench work ??

  15. #15
    無くなった HereNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sci-Fi Wasabi
    My Bikes
    I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.
    Posts
    5,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, that guy would have hated to see my bike without even the front brake...

    What I think is similairly funny, though is seeing people riding at night with no lights, but wearing a refelctive vest. They obviously want to be more visible and safe, but they don't have lights? I don't get it, and ride by wearing all black on a mostly black bike, but with my lights blinking.

  16. #16
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgasbord
    I agree that two brakes will probably stop me faster than one. I try to take this into account with my riding - just as you might alter your riding style in rainy conditions. With only a front brake and on a fixed gear I can still stop very quickly, though. I did not mean that this man was wrong, merely that it was an interesting situation. Personally, I think riding fixed with only a front brake and a helmet is safer than riding geared with two brakes and no helmet. I made (and reaffirm) my riding choices based on this opinion. This man seems to think otherwise. I suppose I am wandering into the helmet safety debate somewhat, and I would like to avoid this thread re hashing this overdiscussed topic.
    Unless you have poor brakes, the front brake is all you need for the shortest stopping distance. As you apply the front brake, your weight distribution moves forward. With enough front brake applied, the rear wheel will start to lift off the ground. The rear brake does not contribute to braking at that point.

    On a freewheel bike, the rear brake is neccessary mainly as a backup to the front brake since a front brake failure would leave you with no brakes at all.

  17. #17
    Just give'er. hooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    04 Scrap
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by progre-ss
    You'd probably "stop" faster. But the fixie rider would have already sensed the braking car in front of him ahead of time and would've switched to another lane and already be blowing through a gap in the pedestrians in the crosswalk and across the intersection by the time you stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Oh that's right, the 6th sense. Hehehe I completely forgot, I should've known.
    Correction. SPIDEY SENSE.

    DUNA NA NAAAAA NA! SPIDA MAN!!!

  18. #18
    cxmagazine dot com pitboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Titus road, Fort CX
    Posts
    8,270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smorgasbord
    German
    I believe, for me, the German reply would have been "Arschloch."
    coasters...bah
    Deathlap - cyclocross, training, beer,...escape hatch

  19. #19
    Employee Smorgasbord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA, USA, Earth
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supcom
    Unless you have poor brakes, the front brake is all you need for the shortest stopping distance. As you apply the front brake, your weight distribution moves forward. With enough front brake applied, the rear wheel will start to lift off the ground. The rear brake does not contribute to braking at that point.

    On a freewheel bike, the rear brake is neccessary mainly as a backup to the front brake since a front brake failure would leave you with no brakes at all.

    Ah, yes. I must be riding my tandem too much.

  20. #20
    Senior Member arcellus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by progre-ss
    You'd probably "stop" faster. But the fixie rider would have already sensed the braking car in front of him ahead of time and would've switched to another lane and already be blowing through a gap in the pedestrians in the crosswalk and across the intersection by the time you stopped.


    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS..............

  21. #21
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,493
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original guy was a bike rider... not a cyclist.

    Front brake = three times braking force than on the rear. But you fixie riders have your legs that are just as effective.

  22. #22
    ... goatmeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mini Apple Us
    My Bikes
    Merckx Miyata Barracuda!
    Posts
    457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't pay him much mind, just another mindless face on the trail attempting to mandar a todo el mundo. He probably is completely whipped by his wife at home and doesn't get to choose so much as the color of the panties he wears, f'em.

    Phil

  23. #23
    The 'net ruined cycling ajkloss42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    My Bikes
    Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA
    Posts
    257
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unsolicited advice is worth less than you pay for it. I've had a bunch on run-ins with people offering advice that I don't need (usually about sailboats, not bicycles) and it is almost always crap. I try to smile, wave, say "thanks", take a moment to consider their advice, and almost always (very much like you did) disregard it as crap.

    As others have said, the front brake is the one that provides the bulk of your braking power, and the rear is mostly useful as a backup for front brake/wheel failure or for very slippery or bumpy terrain.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "following distance is about 1 second per MPH."

    better have a talk with your drivers ed teacher; following DISTANCE increases with speed, trailing TIME does not (speed is a function of distance and time).

  25. #25
    Vello Kombi, baby Poguemahone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Je suis ici
    Posts
    5,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a general ignorance amoung cyclists as to the sheer variety of rear brakes, largely because of the predominace of a couple of kinds of brakes. Certainly a fixie is a very effective, if primitive, brake, and works well. The most effective rear brake, by far, I've ever had was a hub (drum) brake on the rear of an old beater/commuter. It would stop you fast, no matter what the conditions. Truly a phenomenal thing, and I would recommend it strongly to any newbie in traffic. Some cyclists would not recognize it as a brake, however, so accustomed are they to caliper and disc brakes.

    I doubt the passing rider understood the mechanics of the fixed gear. Too used to a freewheel.
    "It's always darkest right before it goes completely black"

    Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •