Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member geej's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    hi / sf
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    slight wiggle/ wobble in surly hub

    on my steamroller, my front wheel has some play in the hub. holding the bike with the front tire off the ground, i can wiggle the wheel side to side and i feel a slight click/ catch. it seems as if the bearings are loose. but the wheel spins true and when i wiggle it the rims never touch the brakes. is this normal? is it something that can easily be fixed? i've only had the bike for a week. back hub is fine btw. thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member elemental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like something that could be easily adjusted. I would stop by your shop with it (especially if you just bought it from them a week ago) and ask them to take a look. Usually an easy fix.

  3. #3
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surly hubs are adjustable (ask Mihlbach), and can get out of adjustment. If not adjusted properly, you can fry the bearings.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  4. #4
    I'm band already? lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    in a ditch
    My Bikes
    wheels, brakes & bars
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easily adjustable/replaceable. But if you just got it, take it back to the LBS. (especially if you ain't familiar w/wrenching - you'll end up trashing'em)
    Who cares what your bike weighs, just ride it!

  5. #5
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Easily adjustable/replaceable. But if you just got it, take it back to the LBS. (especially if you ain't familiar w/wrenching - you'll end up trashing'em)
    Note in particular:

    Bearing adjustment may be necessary, before your New Hub is put into service.
    Axles should be free-spinning with no side-to-side play. Also, make sure the locknuts are tight against the inner sleeve nut/cone. If you lack proper tools or mechanical aptitude, leave this to a professional bicycle mechanic. Occasional bearing adjustments throughout the life of the hub are normal and recommended.

    Thanks, but no thanks. I'd stick with simple non-adjustable sealed bearing hubs like the Formulas. No fuss, no muss.


    Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 06-07-10 at 10:34 AM.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  6. #6
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,028
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Note in particular:

    Bearing adjustment may be necessary, before your New Hub is put into service.
    Axles should be free-spinning with no side-to-side play. Also, make sure the locknuts are tight against the inner sleeve nut/cone. If you lack proper tools or mechanical aptitude, leave this to a professional bicycle mechanic. Occasional bearing adjustments throughout the life of the hub are normal and recommended.

    Thanks, but no thanks. I'd stick with simple non-adjustable sealed bearing hubs like the Formulas. No fuss, no muss.



    I was 100% noob when I bought my hub. If I understood what I as buying then maybe I wouldn't have bought an adjustable cartridge bearing hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  7. #7
    night goat. johnnytheboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA! USA! USA!!
    My Bikes
    all of them.
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my rear chris king hubs retail at $600+, are handmade in portland and carry the same warning.
    when the spokes are brought to proper tension, the hub shell will expand a little, causing slight play in the bearing preload.
    so after the initial build, a bearing adjustment is usually necessary- as well as a 10hr or so after break-in adjustment.
    most things that are quality require a little maintenance.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/johnnytheboy
    ^pedalroom.

  8. #8
    Senior Member geej's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    hi / sf
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet thanks guys! took it into my LBS and got it tightened. she's all good now

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •