Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    'Fixie' for Town Cycling

    Hello,

    Fixed gear or 'fixies' seem very popular around towns and cities at the moment. I often see people zooming around the roads, through traffic and up/down curbs on them. Bike messengers also seem to use them for there profession, which to me suggests its not just a fashion thing?

    Why is this, Do they make the perfect 'get around town' bike?
    Are they more durable, strong, nimble and more suited to this style of cycling than normal road bikes?

    I am moving soon and will be doing the above. I currently have a normal road bike and am wondering if getting a fixie for this would be better and save some wear and tear on my road bike. I am considering something like this Felt Brougham but i dont want it just sitting in the shed with no use.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Nü-Fred ichitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    low maintenance.

    i thought this was gonna be a townie thread or something
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedgear80 View Post
    once you go fixed.....
    ...you generally go back in like a year.
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_mercier.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_3rensho.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_peugeot.jpg

  3. #3
    Goon
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too, was hoping for a townie.

    I think they are great city bikes because they are reliable, comparatively light weight, can be had for pretty cheap, very low maintenance.

    Also, they are great for the beginning bike hobbyist. Without dérailleur, the bike is less complicated. Or at least less intimidating from a mechanical standpoint.

    Fixies have a 'get up and go' feel about them. It may not be a 'logical' reason, because there is nothing stopping you from hopping on your road bike and doing the same thing, but something about riding a fixie just requires less thought.

    I don't think about it at all, I just get on the bike and go. Don't worry about water bottles or lycra, or special shoes.
    No matter how bad things get, they can't get any better, and they can't get any worse, things are what they are, so you better get used to it Nancy, quit your B*tchin'

    -Church

  4. #4
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,085
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
    Don't worry about water bottles
    er...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  5. #5
    Goon
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    er...
    I know that sounded kind of funny, but for me, when I ride my road bike, I just have to fill up the bottles and put them in the cages. maybe it's OCD, who knows. But point is, there is zero preparation for riding my fixed other than getting on it and riding.

    And some people don't have that problem anyway, but I usually end up thinking more when I am riding my Roadie.
    No matter how bad things get, they can't get any better, and they can't get any worse, things are what they are, so you better get used to it Nancy, quit your B*tchin'

    -Church

  6. #6
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,085
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  7. #7
    Nü-Fred ichitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i was lazy to offer much explaination (and still kinda am), so please refer to Sheldon Brow's Fixed Gear Page on the pros and cons of FG riding
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedgear80 View Post
    once you go fixed.....
    ...you generally go back in like a year.
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_mercier.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_3rensho.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_peugeot.jpg

  8. #8
    Kilo TT EssEllSee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my bike to get around everywhere. They are incredibly low maintenance, but I still end up fiddling with mine almost every day (not because anything is wrong, just adjusting, tightening, experimenting, etc). My fixie makes me want to bike, whereas my older road bikes didn't give me the same feeling. To answer your question, yeah a fixie is perfect for riding around town.

  9. #9
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,085
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's fun and no one can knock my bike over and bend the derailer hanger
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  10. #10
    Senior Member TheBikeRollsOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think they look cool.

  11. #11
    Banana-tastic! JesusBananas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn View Post
    I just think they look cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by striknein View Post
    The banana has spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    "This rides nearly as nicely as your mom."

  12. #12
    Senior Member TheBikeRollsOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touche.

  13. #13
    ℞ ♥ squeegeesunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NNJ
    My Bikes
    I ride FG,SS and old 10 speeds. Nothing else.
    Posts
    1,213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    au contraire



    FG does look cool.

    to OP: I like its simplicity, no need to worry about gears or such(i never change gears on my road bike anyways) and i know its cliche but i do feel more "one" with the bike. Also the main thing i like about FG is the ability to go slow, but still maintain control which is crucial when you are riding in the city/town.



    Quote Originally Posted by Johhny B View Post
    dude u need that trixie tool its the best tool ever it even comes with a bottle opener ! dude all the messengers reccomended it to me and evr since i got it im basically a mechaninc now and all the bike shops want me.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i too like the simplicity. plus it's a fun workout.

  15. #15
    Real Men Ride Ordinaries fuzz2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll be the one to go against the grain, and say that fixed gears (please don't call them fixies) make acceptable town bikes, but not great ones. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't that hard to ride, and thieves won't crash within a few feet of jumping onto them. Not only that, but because of their popularity, they are actually more targeted because of their high resale value. Don't believe me, just check your local craigslist.

    Also, city riding (at lease where I live) tends to involve lots of stopping and starting; and when there is a line of cars waiting for you to move, I find quick acceleration to be a virtue. Having a bike with variable gears allows me to start in a low gear to accelerate quickly, and then shift to a higher gear to maintain a reasonable speed.

    Fixed gears are great for medium to long distance solo rides though varying terrain; going up and down rolling hills is when you really feel one with the road, none of this nonsense about weaving in and out of traffic. Oh, and the occasional cyclocross trail on a fixed gear is about as much fun as you can (legally) have on a bike.

  16. #16
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,281
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple, fun, reliable, low maintenance.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  17. #17
    Kilo TT EssEllSee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz2050 View Post
    I guess I'll be the one to go against the grain, and say that fixed gears (please don't call them fixies) make acceptable town bikes, but not great ones. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't that hard to ride, and thieves won't crash within a few feet of jumping onto them. Not only that, but because of their popularity, they are actually more targeted because of their high resale value. Don't believe me, just check your local craigslist.

    Also, city riding (at lease where I live) tends to involve lots of stopping and starting; and when there is a line of cars waiting for you to move, I find quick acceleration to be a virtue. Having a bike with variable gears allows me to start in a low gear to accelerate quickly, and then shift to a higher gear to maintain a reasonable speed.

    Fixed gears are great for medium to long distance solo rides though varying terrain; going up and down rolling hills is when you really feel one with the road, none of this nonsense about weaving in and out of traffic. Oh, and the occasional cyclocross trail on a fixed gear is about as much fun as you can (legally) have on a bike.
    I have no trouble accelerating fast enough, if not faster, than most cars while doing city riding..

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Current: Wabi Classic, '91 Bridgestone Rb-1. Past: '92 Bridgestone RB-1, '02 Lemond Zurich, '91 Trek 520, '85 Schwinn Madison, '80s Panasonic conversion fixie
    Posts
    198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
    Hello,

    Fixed gear or 'fixies' seem very popular around towns and cities at the moment. I often see people zooming around the roads, through traffic and up/down curbs on them. Bike messengers also seem to use them for there profession, which to me suggests its not just a fashion thing?

    Why is this, Do they make the perfect 'get around town' bike?
    Are they more durable, strong, nimble and more suited to this style of cycling than normal road bikes?

    I am moving soon and will be doing the above. I currently have a normal road bike and am wondering if getting a fixie for this would be better and save some wear and tear on my road bike. I am considering something like this Felt Brougham but i dont want it just sitting in the shed with no use.

    Thank you

    Easy to do a once-over. Less expensive to fix or replace a smaller number of parts. Less stuff to get stolen, less to get damaged. A lot like a kid bike for adults. Fun and simple.

    For the same reason people love specific bikes, there are people who love fixed gear bikes, and have their own sense of aesthetics about them. Because they are often built up or modified, they are also personalized. And yes, it's currently a "fad" or manufacturers wouldn't be making them. Nothing wrong with these bikes. They are often less expensive.

    Lots of people here ride old geared bikes, or old 3-speed bikes, or just plain ol' converted singlespeeds that aren't fancy or fixed.

    When I see these bikes around the city, many of them have a mismatch of old cheap parts, or ridiculous neon color schemes, or various stickers and doodads. I like this, it makes me smile even if it's not my personal taste. But I like the city too, for the same reasons.



    Find a local shop that has them and take a few for test rides.
    Last edited by KDNYC; 07-15-10 at 07:34 PM.

  19. #19
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,410
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Single speed bikes have all of the advantages that fixed bikes do with the added benefits of brakes and being able to coast.

    In a flat city, single speed is probably the best, safest, most practical option. No foot retention required, either.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Single speed bikes have all of the advantages that fixed bikes do with the added benefits of brakes and being able to coast.

    In a flat city, single speed is probably the best, safest, most practical option. No foot retention required, either.
    Oh damn, Carleton. You went ahead and said it. Just couldn't stop yourself I suppose. Now what will become of "the movement". Actually, that's not a bad term for it all. Hmmm. Regardless - Good grief.

  21. #21
    Elitist carleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,410
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfixguy View Post
    Oh damn, Carleton. You went ahead and said it. Just couldn't stop yourself I suppose. Now what will become of "the movement". Actually, that's not a bad term for it all. Hmmm. Regardless - Good grief.
    My name is Buzz Killington - Professional Party Pooper.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Single speed bikes have all of the advantages that fixed bikes do with the added benefits of brakes and being able to coast.

    In a flat city, single speed is probably the best, safest, most practical option. No foot retention required, either.
    I rode my Madison for a couple of months on the freewheel side. I just prefer riding it fixed and kept the brakes on which comes in handy once in a while. Best of both worlds IMHO.

  23. #23
    Senior Member bhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik
    Posts
    1,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only jumped on the bandwagon a few weeks ago, but I have found that even with the slower starts and dealing with city traffic, a fixed gear is fun to ride..dunno why. I do feel more comfortable in thicker traffic with my geared bike though, but I think that's mostly because I have a lot more experience with it and am still getting used to the new bike.

  24. #24
    Senior Member ph4nt0mf1ng3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V
    Posts
    520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Single speed bikes have all of the advantages that fixed bikes do with the added benefits of brakes and being able to coast.

    In a flat city, single speed is probably the best, safest, most practical option. No foot retention required, either.
    SS is still just as fun as fixed, and because I am still relatively new to FG, i find it easier to just mash on an SS and forget about worrying about stopping in an emergency.

    But fixed is still fun dont get me wrong.

    Everyone pretty much nailed it though.

    Low maintenencence (splleing fail), simple, lightweight, improves your spinning technique (I guess- its what Ive heard), and yeah.

    But even on SS, I like to use straps, specially if Im going to be climbing a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
    Seriously, I wouldn't trust it at all.

    phatomfingers would be interested in this.

  25. #25
    Nü-Fred ichitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Single speed bikes have all of the advantages that fixed bikes do with the added benefits of brakes and being able to coast.

    In a flat city, single speed is probably the best, safest, most practical option. No foot retention required, either.
    i beg to differ.
    i really like riding fixed on flats and the only time I want to coast is after a long tiring day i wish i could've coasted downhill.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedgear80 View Post
    once you go fixed.....
    ...you generally go back in like a year.
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_mercier.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_3rensho.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_peugeot.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •