Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-10, 09:59 PM   #1
cg1985
Goon
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peugot UO-8

Probably shouldn't keep starting threads, but It's too late now!

So the last frame I asked about (schwinn world sport) turned out to be the juvenile version with 24" wheels!

However I just got an e-mail confirming a Peugeot UO-8 Frameset (just the frame/fork/headset). 40 bucks for the frame.




Looks like it could use some TLC, but Seems to be minimal rust.

First off, 40 bucks seems fair, right?

secondly, anyone know what this bike is like?

I googled the frame, Couldn't seem to find what it was made out of, I say 28lbs listed in one thread which appeared to be the weight of the original Build/components. Basically it appears that it's an entry level road/race bike, but that's about as much as I can gather.

Anyone know if it's worth building one of these up?
cg1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:05 PM   #2
rustybrown
Senior Member
 
rustybrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DeSouf
Bikes:
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very similar Peugeot---1978 UO9---as the daily beater. Rides lovely...rides French. Like a Cadillac. Depending on the motor, it could be sporty. There's just a few propriety French sizes and threadings of which to beware---aka it might be a bit of $$$.

Last edited by rustybrown; 07-19-10 at 10:06 PM. Reason: ...expounding
rustybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:10 PM   #3
cg1985
Goon
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I hear, I am also looking at some minor rust on the chromed part of the fork in the picture, hard to say how much. Might just see if I can sand it off and re-polish. If not I might sand the frame down and try to paint it.
cg1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:10 PM   #4
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 6,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lovely frame for only 40 bucks!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/id28.html
Here's website with a couple of UO-8's

I hope you understand Dutch.
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:24 PM   #5
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,115
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Don't jump on it just yet as your going to need the dreaded hard to find or expensive FRENCH BOTTOM BRACKET

And if I remember correctly peugeot used non - standard seatpost sizes.... meaning you'll have a even harder time to find a seat post that'll fit...

And ewwwwwwwwww carbolite.....
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:25 PM   #6
xavier853
.
 
xavier853's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus
Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Peugeot UO8 conversion of my own. It is a great bike and it made for a great conversion. And with Velo Orange offering a french thread bottom bracket, it will be easy.

Looks a little worse for the wear though. The UO8 was the entry level, or more affordable version, of its bigger brother, the PX10.

My Peugeot UO8

Last edited by xavier853; 07-19-10 at 10:29 PM.
xavier853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:27 PM   #7
cg1985
Goon
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier853 View Post
I have a Peugeot UO8 conversion of my own. It is a great bike and it made for a great conversion. And with Velo Orange offering a french thread bottom bracket, it will be easy.

Looks a little worse for the wear though
Well the frame doesn't look to rusted, except for maybe on the fork, it looks most dirty than anything. I am supposed to see it weds.
cg1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:30 PM   #8
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,115
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier853 View Post
I have a Peugeot UO8 conversion of my own. It is a great bike and it made for a great conversion. And with Velo Orange offering a french thread bottom bracket, it will be easy.
But is the OP willing to fork over $48+ for it?

It would've been easier if the frame came with the BB.. as all you need are the french threaded BB cups.
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:33 PM   #9
xavier853
.
 
xavier853's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus
Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypills View Post
But is the OP willing to fork over $48+ for it?

It would've been easier if the frame came with the BB.. as all you need are the french threaded BB cups.
True. In the end it comes down to how much money you want to spend. The Velo Orange is a better option I think.

I ending up buying French Thread cups. Phil Woods is the only ones I could find, and they alone are $50

The point though is, if he ended up buying this frame, a conversion is pretty easy to do.
xavier853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:51 PM   #10
omgzilla
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MPLS
Bikes:
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Velo Orange sells a french thread bottom bracket for a reasonable price. I have one on my Peugeot, and have had no problems at all with it. They also have french headsets now too.
Finding a stem will be the hard part (at least it was for me), I ended up sanding down a threaded to threadless adapter stem (from Velo Orange) and used that.
omgzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 11:17 PM   #11
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,115
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier853 View Post
True. In the end it comes down to how much money you want to spend. The Velo Orange is a better option I think.

I ending up buying French Thread cups. Phil Woods is the only ones I could find, and they alone are $50

The point though is, if he ended up buying this frame, a conversion is pretty easy to do.
Yea if he decides to go that way with the frame.... how is the velo orange quality anyway for its french BB? No idea here as my peugeot sports a french campy BB which I'm pretty sure is worth more than the frame itself... (I was handed down my peugeot from a family member who sadly isn't here anymore)


~ Finding a stem will be one of the easy and cheapest parts; all the OP needs is a 1 inch threaded stem or threadless adapter...
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 11:17 PM   #12
soul05
niteridar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: sfbay area
Bikes: giant fixed gear and a cannondale road bike
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my first conversion was made from a uo-8 frame that i picked up from craigslist for 25 bucks. biggest piece of **** evar! get a frame with parts that are readily accessible to save yourself the headache from having to search for french sizing
soul05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 11:21 PM   #13
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,115
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul05 View Post
my first conversion was made from a uo-8 frame that i picked up from craigslist for 25 bucks. biggest piece of **** evar! get a frame with parts that are readily accessible to save yourself the headache from having to search for french sizing
Its not that hard... aside from removing the gears and cabling....

The BB is the only part... which is no problem if it just needs a rebuild which it most likely will only need; not replacement.

Wheelset and brakes are the only things that need to be replaced... which can be easily. Unless you can negotiate with the existing 27 inch wheels and do not convert to 700C.
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 07:48 AM   #14
xavier853
.
 
xavier853's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus
Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stem is not too big of a deal. I bought a cheap threaded Origin8 stem. It was 22.2mm, but it needed to be sanded to 22mm.

Seatpost needed to be 25.4mm. Luckily, I had a cheapo 26mm seatpost on hand, and had a buddy with a lathe.
xavier853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 08:48 AM   #15
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are going for cheap, you can get better for less (at least around here).
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 08:54 AM   #16
cg1985
Goon
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well looks like the stem is going to be the only part that's really gonna be a problem. There are several shops nearby that refurb old bikes, including one that does period accurate rebuilds, so I might see if I can get the parts through them. if not it seems that Sanding down a 22.2mm stem isn't going to be a problem.
cg1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 09:10 AM   #17
ianjk
:)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: duluth
Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
There are several shops nearby that refurb old bikes, including one that does period accurate rebuilds, so I might see if I can get the parts through them.
Don't tell them it is going on a conversion
ianjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 09:31 AM   #18
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?
 
jimmuller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston-ish, MA
Bikes: '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, '86 Gazelle champion mondial, '81? Grandis, and lots of uncertainty on some
Posts: 10,417
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
That looks like an early 70's UO-8, a much smaller version of my own '72. They ride nicely, especially with alloy wheels and crank, pretty quick but not twitchy. You just think where you want it to go, give it a tiny encouragement, and it goes. They handle rough roads very well. The 28lbs weight would have been fully assembled with steel crank and wheels. As for the tubing, others can probably answer more accurately but Peugeot always labeled them as built with special lightweight tubing, in other words, their own and they ain't saying. The frame weight itself wasn't especially high though. My 531-tubed Raleigh weighs only 4 lbs less but that's with alloy parts.

Someone here described it as entry-level. That's not quite true. The AO-8 was entry level, with a cheaper crank and wheels, no chrome on the fork, and solid axles in low-flange hubs. The UO-8 had Rigida Cro-lux rims (mine are still shiny bright), Normandy high-flange hubs with Atom quick-release skewers, a nicer Nervar crank (still steel though), and the chromed fork. Probably a better saddle too though I don't remember that.

That one still has the seatpost collar; unless you are doing a restoration you can remove it and use a "normal" French seatpost. The original brakes would have been Mafac Racer centerpulls which would stop a freight train. Be aware that the rear dropout spacing is 120mm.

I wouldn't recommend painting it unless there is a serious problem. That original paint and decals are distinctive. As they say in C&V, it is original only once.

One more thing to consider. It should have had a brake cable hanger on the seat post bolt. If you use a sidepull on the rear that won't matter but if you go with centerpulls you'll need to rig something.
__________________
Real cyclists use toe clips.
With great bikes comes great responsibility.
jimmuller

Last edited by jimmuller; 07-20-10 at 09:37 AM.
jimmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 09:35 AM   #19
cg1985
Goon
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
That looks like an early 70's UO-8, a much smaller version of my own '72. They ride nicely, especially with alloy wheels and crank, pretty quick but not twitchy. You just think where you want it to go, give it a tiny encouragement, and it goes. They handle rough roads very well. The 28lbs weight would have been fully assembled with steel crank and wheels. As for the tubing, others can probably answer more accurately but Peugeot always labeled them as built with special lightweight tubing, in other words, their own and they ain't saying. The frame weight itself wasn't especially high though. My 531-tubed Raleigh weighs only 4 lbs less but that's with alloy parts.

Someone here described it as entry-level. That's not quite true. The AO-8 was entry level, with a cheaper crank and wheels, no chrome on the fork, and solid axles in low-flange hubs. The UO-8 had Rigida Cro-lux rims (mine are still shiny bright), Normandy high-flange hubs with Atom quick-release skewers, a nicer Nervar crank (still steel though), and the chromed fork. Probably a better saddle too though I don't remember that.

That one still has the seatpost collar; unless you are doing a restoration you can remove it and use a "normal" French seatpost. The original brakes would have been Mafac Racer centerpulls which would stop a freight train. Be aware that the rear dropout spacing is 120mm.

I wouldn't recommend painting it unless there is a serious problem. That original paint and decals are distinctive. As they say in C&V, it is original only once.
Thanks!

Yea, I don't want to paint the frame but we'll see what it looks like when I pick it up wednesday.
cg1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 11:06 AM   #20
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,115
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
As for the tubing, others can probably answer more accurately but Peugeot always labeled them as built with special lightweight tubing, in other words, their own and they ain't saying. The frame weight itself wasn't especially high though. My 531-tubed Raleigh weighs only 4 lbs less but that's with alloy parts.
mid range peugeots of the 70's -> carbolite 103... 80's - early 90's before getting out of bikes -> HLE (manganese alloy)
high end peugeots basically were synonymous with reynolds tubing or for the later carbon fiber
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 AM.