Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ca
    My Bikes
    none :(
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    how the hell do you turn?!?

    i just got a kilo tt and now im thinking of returning it cause i cant turn without hitting my foot up against the front tire! ive already tried pointing my toes different directions but its still bothering me any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shoe/wheel overlap is common at driveway maneuvering speeds. But it should not be an issue when you're actually moving at speeds above 5mph, when you just lean into a turn more so than actually turning the handlebars.

  3. #3
    Hello. JDMFanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    My Bikes
    Windsor The Hour
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolab View Post
    shoe/wheel overlap is common at driveway maneuvering speeds. But it should not be an issue when you're actually moving at speeds above 5mph, when you just lean into a turn more so than actually turning the handlebars.
    seconded. I usually don't even turn my handlebars to turn at decent speeds... only lean
    ▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ca
    My Bikes
    none :(
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha alright ill have to try that idk though cause im like 5'8 with a 29 inseam so im wondering if i should sell my bran neew 50cm kilo cause of the toelap

  5. #5
    I go I go I go I go I go Cglenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Apopka, Fl
    Posts
    209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah try it out for a few days riding normally before you decide to return. You shouldn't even notice it because it won't normally happen.

  6. #6
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,028
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh, lots of bikes have toe overlap especially them track bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  7. #7
    Senior Member scottmforreals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pedal down the foot hills
    Wheelies on the front

  8. #8
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMFanatic View Post
    seconded. I usually don't even turn my handlebars to turn at decent speeds... only lean

    Incorrect. You are still turning your bars, just not much at speed.

  9. #9
    dsh
    dsh is offline
    Oh, you know... dsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the more you lean, the more likely you are to encounter pedal strike.

    You've just gotta find the correct balance, is all.

  10. #10
    Nü-Fred ichitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    Torelli Tipo Uno (stolen), Peugeot Nice, Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    1,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u'll get used to toe overlap. Give it a few days.
    Just time the turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedgear80 View Post
    once you go fixed.....
    ...you generally go back in like a year.
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_mercier.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_3rensho.jpg http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ig_peugeot.jpg

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow u-turns with FG, just take your feet off the pedals or slide your foot back and have your toes on the pedal. Is this an issue with the toe clip or pedal actually hitting the front tire ? If that's the case return the bike or get a fork that has more rake to it. In SS mode, orient the cranks to the 6 & 12 o'clock positions in freewheel.

  12. #12
    :)
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    duluth
    My Bikes
    '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450
    Posts
    3,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji86 View Post
    or get a fork that has more rake to it.
    I'd rather have a bit over overlap and learn how to ride/deal with it than spend money on making my bike ride like crud by changing the geometry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaria View Post
    because physics has more street cred than tarckstars.

  13. #13
    dsh
    dsh is offline
    Oh, you know... dsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji86 View Post
    Slow u-turns with FG, just take your feet off the pedals or slide your foot back and have your toes on the pedal. Is this an issue with the toe clip or pedal actually hitting the front tire ?
    It's trivially easy to take your foot out of the clip and let the pedal flop over, then put your foot back on so that it's on the "bottom" of the pedal and the cage is facing backwards. You can then move your foot back on the pedal a little bit so as to avoid toe overlap.

    I typically do it with my front foot when trackstanding for just that reason, and it's just as easy to do if you really *must* make a bunch of tight turns at 2mph.

  14. #14
    Constant tinkerer FastJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,121
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehhotte View Post
    haha alright ill have to try that idk though cause im like 5'8 with a 29 inseam so im wondering if i should sell my bran neew 50cm kilo cause of the toelap
    Unless you have really short legs, that sounds like the wrong size bike for you. I'm 5' 9" and I'm comfortable on 54 - 58cm bikes.

  15. #15
    dsh
    dsh is offline
    Oh, you know... dsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frame sizing is usually more about reach than leg length. Seat posts are pretty easy to adjust.

    I'm 6'2 and my fixed is 56 cm square.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjk View Post
    I'd rather have a bit over overlap and learn how to ride/deal with it than spend money on making my bike ride like crud by changing the geometry.
    That works too ! Personally I'd do the same and not worry about it if the bike I wound up with had overlap. I'm cheap that way.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16
    Posts
    1,913
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh View Post
    It's trivially easy to take your foot out of the clip and let the pedal flop over, then put your foot back on so that it's on the "bottom" of the pedal and the cage is facing backwards. You can then move your foot back on the pedal a little bit so as to avoid toe overlap.

    I typically do it with my front foot when trackstanding for just that reason, and it's just as easy to do if you really *must* make a bunch of tight turns at 2mph.
    That works too, I can see it making sense to spin the toe clip to the underside, that way whatever retention isn't sticking forward to contact the front tire. And did I mention that removing the toe clip would be an advantage in this situation ? But that's another discussion.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ca
    My Bikes
    none :(
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh it sounds like it but i remember the geo of the kilo is like 3cm bigger? so like a 54 is good for me so how big of a difference is 53?
    Quote Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
    Unless you have really short legs, that sounds like the wrong size bike for you. I'm 5' 9" and I'm comfortable on 54 - 58cm bikes.

  19. #19
    Banana-tastic! JesusBananas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehhotte View Post
    haha alright ill have to try that idk though cause im like 5'8 with a 29 inseam so im wondering if i should sell my bran neew 50cm kilo cause of the toelap
    You don't use pants inseam for bike sizing; you need your standover height.

    Google standover height for measuring tips, and then compare that to the Kilo's geometry chart to see approximately what size would be good for you. I know that bike size isn't determined solely by standover height, but regardless, it sounds like the bike is too small for you (especially if you used inseam instead of standover height).

    Track bikes tend to have toe overlap, and smaller bikes even more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by striknein View Post
    The banana has spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    "This rides nearly as nicely as your mom."

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ca
    My Bikes
    none :(
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright so i did as you said and i guess i have a standover height of 74cm. now what? :0
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusBananas View Post
    You don't use pants inseam for bike sizing; you need your standover height.

    Google standover height for measuring tips, and then compare that to the Kilo's geometry chart to see approximately what size would be good for you. I know that bike size isn't determined solely by standover height, but regardless, it sounds like the bike is too small for you (especially if you used inseam instead of standover height).

    Track bikes tend to have toe overlap, and smaller bikes even more so.

  21. #21
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,854
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehhotte View Post
    alright so i did as you said and i guess i have a standover height of 74cm. now what? :0
    Barefoot or with shoes? I'm only 5'-3", but my barefoot standover is 28", so you must have very short legs compared to your torso. So you probably can't straddle your 50cm Kilo TT, but have no problem with reach to the bars. If you get a smaller 47cm Kilo TT, then you'll have standover but need a super long stem not to be cramped on the bike. I'd say provided you can get the seat high enough relative to the bars for a comforable riding position (same height or higher), then just learn not to straddle your frame when starting and stopping.
    Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-25-10 at 06:15 PM.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ca
    My Bikes
    none :(
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    daaang dude all of this is confusing

  23. #23
    Senior Member mihlbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,373
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ehhotte View Post
    daaang dude all of this is confusing
    No its not. If you are not a gangly giant but want steep geometry, you'll have to deal with overlap. Just get used to it....everybody else does.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually not that bad Bro, I myself have a 50cm Kilo and toe overlap is never an issue. I often make sharp U turns around my college at slow speeds. Like what others say, find the balance between turning and leaning. I was skeptical about buying a kilo but I found out that it's not a issue I would have to worry about.

  25. #25
    poppawheelie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Victoria / Gifu
    My Bikes
    Panasonic, Super Cycle
    Posts
    487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a 62cm frame so toe overlap isnt an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •