Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-10, 08:33 AM   #1
sfreywagg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfreywagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
104 BCD a bad idea?

so i'm looking at picking up a crankset on the cheap and i might be able to score a bontrager king earl for cheap. For reference:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304632

my questions is, does a 104 bcd ring work out ok for fixed? is it gunna be too wimpy and taco? I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things. thanks.
sfreywagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:41 AM   #2
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,375
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
It's all relative. A 38T chainring on a 104mm bcd crank arm such as the one in that auction is probably no worse than a 48T chainring on a 130mm bcd crank arm. My question is do you want such a small chainring? That price isn't that fantastic to me and you can find the more common 130mm bcd cranks for the same price.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:52 AM   #3
gt35built
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Bikes: trek t1
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can find better cranks for cheaper deals on ebay alone. Find a entry level track specific crank.

Besides any components related to a "big earl" from bontrager are going to be heavy as hell. They are meant for MTB applications. I have a stem that is a big earl free-ride and its heavy/bulky as hell.
gt35built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:53 AM   #4
sfreywagg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfreywagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no. i definitely would be acquiring a larger ring, probably close to 46-48t.
and the $69.00 is not what i'd be paying. i'll probably get it for about $30 shipped...
just not sure what chain-type i would need to use... could i still use a 1/8 or 3/32 chain that would fit a cog nicely or would i need a 9speed chain?
sfreywagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:58 AM   #5
sfreywagg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sfreywagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt35built View Post
You can find better cranks for cheaper deals on ebay alone. Find a entry level track specific crank.

Besides any components related to a "big earl" from bontrager are going to be heavy as hell. They are meant for MTB applications. I have a stem that is a big earl free-ride and its heavy/bulky as hell.
thanks for the heads up on the weight.

so all in all it just seems like a bad idea, especially if i'm needing to enlarge the ring?
sfreywagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 09:39 AM   #6
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,375
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreywagg View Post
no. i definitely would be acquiring a larger ring, probably close to 46-48t.
and the $69.00 is not what i'd be paying. i'll probably get it for about $30 shipped...
just not sure what chain-type i would need to use... could i still use a 1/8 or 3/32 chain that would fit a cog nicely or would i need a 9speed chain?
Well, IDK how easily you can find 46T or 48T chainrings for that bcd, but the chain is not an issue, since any chain will work. A 9-speed chain is the same as 3/32, it's just the outer width that's different, which only matters on geared bikes. You can always use a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 chainring or cog.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 10:03 AM   #7
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's no bargain to get a crank that you have to change the chain-ring on. My LBS quotes me approx. $1/per tooth for chainrings.
104 BCD cranks are designed for MTB compact sort chain-rings. I'd be worried about adequate support for the rings when you start getting much larger rings, if they even exist.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 10:20 AM   #8
gt35built
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Bikes: trek t1
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious to know how you would get it for 30 shipped?

May be trouble finding the proper chainring for your desired gear ratio but I havent looked around myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
It's no bargain to get a crank that you have to change the chain-ring on. My LBS quotes me approx. $1/per tooth for chainrings.
104 BCD cranks are designed for MTB compact sort chain-rings. I'd be worried about adequate support for the rings when you start getting much larger rings, if they even exist.
chain-rings priced per tooth
gt35built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 12:37 PM   #9
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing
 
PedallingATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 2,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i wish my chainrings cost $1 per tooth
PedallingATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 12:41 PM   #10
gt35built
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Bikes: trek t1
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedallingATX View Post
i wish my chainrings cost $1 per tooth
Does that mean the chainrings you buy cost more than a dollar per tooth?
gt35built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 03:01 PM   #11
ppc
Senile Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use a 104mm BCD 43T Sinz ring. It's a thick aluminum ring so it won't taco. It was only 20 euros too, so about $28. I'd never a chainring that costs $1 per tooth, that's much too expensive.
ppc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 03:52 PM   #12
Triple8Sol
manonthemoon
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Current custom builds: FG=KHS Flite 100 DH=Transition Blindside FR=Transition Bottlerocket
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look into Pake, Origin8, and Eighthinch cranksets. All around the same price as that one or cheaper, 130bcd, and better suited for your fg/ss.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 04:28 PM   #13
mihlbach
Senior Member
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 6,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt35built View Post
Does that mean the chainrings you buy cost more than a dollar per tooth?
For good chainrings....yes. Although the price is not related to number of teeth. A high end 42T chainring costs the same as a high end 52t chainring.
mihlbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 05:02 PM   #14
gt35built
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago IL
Bikes: trek t1
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
For good chainrings....yes. Although the price is not related to number of teeth. A high end 42T chainring costs the same as a high end 52t chainring.
I realize that the price of some chainrings may be more dollars than the amount of teeth. The question was directed towards the member who pays that price. "i wish" hints that he pays more than that. What chainrings is he buying that are so damn expensive and why, is what I was getting at.
gt35built is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 AM.