Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) take out your bb and grease the hell out of the threads and put it back (to the PROPER torque) this solved a noise problem for me a while ago, I didn't have the cups tightened enough.
2) while your cranks are off, take off the chainring bolts, grease all the threads and all the contact points where the chainring makes contact with the crank. tighten the chainring bolts to the PROPER torque, also solved a problem for me.
3) Clean your chain and chainring and cog thoroughly, i mean get all the crud and grease off your chain using a good biodegradable degreaser.
4) lube your chain with a good quality chainlube, this will quiet everything. lube it twice for good measure
5) if this does not quiet everything down, it may be time for a new chain, cog and chainring (yes, you should replace them all at the same time, at least the chain and cog)
all fg bikes will make some noise, but it shouldn't be excessive grinding if everything is tensioned and lubricated correctly