Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    don't door me bro! Oramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    EAI Bareknuckle
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Carbon Fiber Fork Suggestions

    I am looking for a decent carbon fiber fork 700cm 1" threadless. Don't want to sped $400 on one, perhaps around the $200 range but do know what makes one fork better than the next.

  2. #2
    . xavier853's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    My Bikes
    Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT:

    just read 1" sooo nvm

  3. #3
    GONE~
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BikeIsland, Performance and Nashbar have 1" carbon forks for ~$100.


  4. #4
    don't door me bro! Oramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    EAI Bareknuckle
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for this thread, found this one that is on point.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-378665.html

  5. #5
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you match up the fork rake. if you stay within 5mm, you should be ok (unless your bike is already at the limit)

    I got a $60 bike nashbar carbon fork (threaded). it added 5mm of rake (wheel is further out in front of the frame). It is hard to feel much difference on the road, but I certainly feel it on the track. More rakes the bike looser and more darty (less stable), which in my case is probably a good thing. It does respond nicely on the road.

  6. #6
    don't door me bro! Oramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    EAI Bareknuckle
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
    BikeIsland, Performance and Nashbar have 1" carbon forks for ~$100.

    thanks for the links, these were the few I found discussed in older threads and look promising

    Quote Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
    Make sure you match up the fork rake. if you stay within 5mm, you should be ok (unless your bike is already at the limit)

    I got a $60 bike nashbar carbon fork (threaded). it added 5mm of rake (wheel is further out in front of the frame). It is hard to feel much difference on the road, but I certainly feel it on the track. More rakes the bike looser and more darty (less stable), which in my case is probably a good thing. It does respond nicely on the road.
    I need to learn about fork rake, I have a 2006 Pista. What is it that I am looking for to ensure I am not going to buy the wrong fork? This bike will be used just for riding around the city, not my everyday beater.

    also, why are some carbon forks 400+ and others 100 bucks? is it just lighter stronger forks or what am I missing?

  7. #7
    dsh
    dsh is offline
    Oh, you know... dsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build quality. Weight. Graphics.

  8. #8
    Senior Member chas58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    928
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer: Find your stock fork rake, and stay within 5mm of that.

    Longer answer:

    Well, I can't complain about my $60 fork. Lighter and smoother riding than what the bike came with.

    Oramas, you need to contact the manufacturer (maybe the info is on their web site)? and see what your fork rake is. Some track bikes have very little fork rake (i.e. 18mm) some have almost 40mm. Most forks out there are for road bikes, and are going to have more than 40mm rake. Personally, I went from 37.5 to 43mm rake. From what I have read, and from experience - that is about as big a change as you want to make. But, if your bike is alreay jumpy, you might not even want to do that. I'm guessing a little more Rake wouldn't hurt the Pista.

    If you want to learn more, google "trail" "rake" and "bicycle." Fork Rake defines the trail, which determines how stable or darty your bike is. Make sure you read from somebody with authority, as it works a bit counter intuitively (less rake makes the bicycle more stable).

  9. #9
    -
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Banned in DC
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock pistas had a very short-raked fork, 28mm. I think you will find it nearly impossible to get a 1" carbon fork with that little rake as almost all are 43-45mm. The performance above is 40mm.

    Changing to that performance fork will pretty dramatically change the handling (trail changes from about 67 to about 55).

    I have a bike with similar handling and like it, so it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will be a pretty dramatic change.

    (That's all assuming they are the same length, which is another matter, but most road forks are around the same length).
    I have a front brake, but I only use it for slowing or stopping.

  10. #10
    don't door me bro! Oramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    EAI Bareknuckle
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacked View Post
    Stock pistas had a very short-raked fork, 28mm. I have a bike with similar handling and like it, so it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will be a pretty dramatic change.
    So, pista rake is 28mm, and most carbon forks are 40mm+. Now I am apprehensive of putting a carbon fork that will alter the handling that much. Will a 12mm rake differential make my bike super unstable? I really just want a good fork for my pista, carbon would have been nice but if it is not going to be a benefit don't want to fork over the $ (no pun intended)

  11. #11
    aka mattio queerpunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,323
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forks with a carbon fiber steerer tube, as opposed to aluminum or steel, tend to be more expensive and lighter. It's not strength that's an issue, but rather, the strength-to-weight ratio, which requires fairly deliberate R&D - which means that companies then charge more to recoup their costs.

    If you're looking for a 1" carbon fork, your choices are limited, particularly if you want to get a fork with a carbon steerer. Since the industry standard changed over to 1 1/8" seven or eight years ago, there aren't many out there. Those that are out there are cheaper than their 1 1/8" counterparts, though. Look for an Easton EC90 on ebay. Ritchey and Alpha Q also make particularly good forks.

    There are a bunch of good resources that explain rake and trail - this one is pretty good. http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/trail.html ... forks are raked to reduce trail. Trail is determined by rake and head tube angle.
    the hipster myth.

    i practice vagabondery.

  12. #12
    don't door me bro! Oramas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    EAI Bareknuckle
    Posts
    184
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
    Forks with a carbon fiber steerer tube, as opposed to aluminum or steel, tend to be more expensive and lighter. It's not strength that's an issue, but rather, the strength-to-weight ratio, which requires fairly deliberate R&D - which means that companies then charge more to recoup their costs.

    If you're looking for a 1" carbon fork, your choices are limited, particularly if you want to get a fork with a carbon steerer. Since the industry standard changed over to 1 1/8" seven or eight years ago, there aren't many out there. Those that are out there are cheaper than their 1 1/8" counterparts, though. Look for an Easton EC90 on ebay. Ritchey and Alpha Q also make particularly good forks.

    There are a bunch of good resources that explain rake and trail - this one is pretty good. http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/trail.html ... forks are raked to reduce trail. Trail is determined by rake and head tube angle.
    thanks for the link, will read up. My main concern now is not finding a fork that fits, but how the rake differential will affect how it rides.
    Last edited by Oramas; 11-02-10 at 09:41 AM. Reason: adding text

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that 28mm rake is ridiculous! sure it's not 38mm? i know there was a 38mm 1" ouzo pro track model, but they are rare as hens teeth and pricey. i may know where a NOS one is, but it will set you back ~$325-350. pm if interested.

    pretty much everything else i know of starts at 40mm, though i'd be surprised if there wasn't an easton track fork.

    really? 28mm?


    woundup had some very nice 1" forks back in the day...quite stiff, a bit heavy, pricey. again, 40mm is it.
    Quote Originally Posted by politely removed
    I am ****ing devoted too. I am moving into my friend's closet just so I can save up for bike stuff.
    well, here's some for you! everything's for sale...

  14. #14
    Senior Member indiglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wound up has a track fork, but its 35mm rake, here:
    http://www.woundupcomposites.com/specs.html

  15. #15
    Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz cc700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Militis 3
    Posts
    8,528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the wound up fork is 500.

    did you not read the thread? this thread should have ended after post three, was complete after post 4, and while rake is important, we haven't gained any specificity since post five.

    ITT: redundant carbon fiber and rake discussion.

    want the right rake? luck out used or pay for customization. a 100 dollar fork with anything but 42-45mm rake is not going to happen. also, trail is a function of HT angle, fork rake, FORK LENGTH AND WHEEL DIAMETER. you're not changing anything but the fork, but i don't think you'll find a decrease in stability with a regular road fork on a 2006 pista.
    Last edited by cc700; 11-04-10 at 03:15 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •