Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Puegoet u09 conversion help

    Hellloooo
    So My current ride is a 1979 puegoet u09 with new wheel set. I was going to buy the velo orange french bb and replace my stronglite cranks with track cranks, but in concerned about whether a 46t chainring will clear the chainstay. anyone with experience n this matter?

    also, any one know where the hell i can find a seatpost for this beast? it needs a 23.4mm i believe

    PS sorry about typing erroes, in a cast right now

  2. #2
    . xavier853's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    My Bikes
    Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the uo9 is anything like the uo8, a 46t chainring will be fine. It will clear the chainstay.

    As for the seatpost. You have to either get lucky and find one, or make your own. I have a buddy who used a lathe on a seatpost for me to get it to the correct size.

  3. #3
    Goon
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ypsilanti, MI
    My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get cheaper BB's than VO

    I got an IRD and popped off the cups and replaced them with French Threaded Cups, not the phil ones. Cheaper ones.

    Total cost for the BB was like 18 dollars through my LBS.

    It's a Sealed Bearing BB, works just fine.

    I am Restoring a UO8, not finished yet, but it will be a fun project.
    No matter how bad things get, they can't get any better, and they can't get any worse, things are what they are, so you better get used to it Nancy, quit your B*tchin'

    -Church

  4. #4
    Ride heavy metal. Maddox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Teenage Wasteland, USA
    My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)
    Posts
    1,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mailmixer View Post
    ...I'm concerned about whether a 46t chainring will clear the chainstay. anyone with experience n this matter?(
    You shouldn't have a problem with the chainstay as long as you have the correct length on your BB spindle. This can be somewhat tricky, but you should probably measure the current Spindle length on your UO-9 and order one with the correct length as a replacement.


    Quote Originally Posted by cg1985 View Post
    You can get cheaper BB's than VO

    I got an IRD and popped off the cups and replaced them with French Threaded Cups, not the phil ones. Cheaper ones.

    Total cost for the BB was like 18 dollars through my LBS.

    It's a Sealed Bearing BB, works just fine.

    I am Restoring a UO8, not finished yet, but it will be a fun project.
    Harris Cyclery (aka Sheldon Brown) used to link to a cheaper French cup set. Did you use something along these lines? If so, I'd love to hear more and possibly see some photos of your setup.

    FWIW, it might be worth the additional cost to just go for the VO bb. Their products are top notch, and the BB is one place where spending an additional $20 will probably pay off in dividends down the road. Don't be cheap on the hardest-working part of your bike.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

  6. #6
    Goes to 11. striknein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS, USA
    My Bikes
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er, 1986 Raleigh Technium 460
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/frogstem.html

    This is the only vendor I've found that carries a modern French seatpost. I'm converting a UO-9 too (1982).

  7. #7
    . xavier853's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    My Bikes
    Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $70 bucks seems like alot. But after all it is your money.

    I think I spent like $10 on a post, and because my buddy has access to metal working tools, he did the rest.

  8. #8
    Ride heavy metal. Maddox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Teenage Wasteland, USA
    My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)
    Posts
    1,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by striknein View Post
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/frogstem.html

    This is the only vendor I've found that carries a modern French seatpost. I'm converting a UO-9 too (1982).
    With respect, there's not really such a thing as a "french seatpost." French bikes' seatposts were many things, but uniform was not one of those things. Each had different sizes -- Peugeot used one, Motobecane used another. With any French bike, you have to check that specific bike's seatpost size.

    Cites: I have a '76 Motobecane, an '83 Peugeot PH10-LE, and a '79 UO-8.

  9. #9
    Goes to 11. striknein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS, USA
    My Bikes
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er, 1986 Raleigh Technium 460
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
    With respect, there's not really such a thing as a "french seatpost." French bikes' seatposts were many things, but uniform was not one of those things. Each had different sizes -- Peugeot used one, Motobecane used another. With any French bike, you have to check that specific bike's seatpost size.

    Cites: I have a '76 Motobecane, an '83 Peugeot PH10-LE, and a '79 UO-8.
    You're absolutely right. That said, it's a lot easier (and safer) to turn a 24.0mm seatpost than it is to turn a larger one. That seatpost does fit my '82 UO-9.

  10. #10
    Ride heavy metal. Maddox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Teenage Wasteland, USA
    My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)
    Posts
    1,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by striknein View Post
    You're absolutely right. That said, it's a lot easier (and safer) to turn a 24.0mm seatpost than it is to turn a larger one. That seatpost does fit my '82 UO-9.
    I'm glad you found one that fit your UO9. I've looked for something to fit on my UO-8 with little success. I'll have to measure it again and see what it is - it's a bizarre number.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •