Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Another "What don't you like about my bike" thread, anybody? (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/704339-another-what-dont-you-like-about-my-bike-thread-anybody.html)

PencilPusha 04-18-14 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=375475http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=375476

europa 04-18-14 06:38 PM

The poor thing's confused, doesn't know what colour it is, what wheels it's riding or what bars it's supposed to have. Therapy maybe?

hairnet 04-18-14 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex615 (Post 16681737)
So I am assuming with your height, you prefer longer cranks. Longer than 175 ??

175 or 180

BoSoxYacht 04-23-14 05:12 PM

This is my new SS

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...psa54534d0.jpg

I was hit by a motorist in February, and a friend threw this together for me as a get well gift. Other than the brake levers, it's all Campagnolo(even the hoops). Soon I'll convert it back to a geared bike with period correct components, but this works for me(for now).

europa 04-24-14 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 16696886)
This is my new SS

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...psa54534d0.jpg

I was hit by a motorist in February, and a friend threw this together for me as a get well gift. Other than the brake levers, it's all Campagnolo(even the hoops). Soon I'll convert it back to a geared bike with period correct components, but this works for me(for now).

Pity the handle bars weren't tight and have slipped :)
Nah, she looks good, a real back killer with that saddle to bar drop but if you're flexible enough to ride it, go for it.

Incidentally, I've never understood that 'the end of the bars must be parallel to the ground' advice. It puts the run to the brake levers at a downward angle ie, they don't support you and puts the ends of the bars at the wrong angle to support you. I honestly think it's something that comes from the 'we must have a formula' era when all sorts of foolishness (like KOPS) became law.

If that were my bike, I'd rotate those bars up so the run to the brakes was either flat or at an angle that supports your hand, then slide the brake levers forwards until you get a smooth transition from bars to brake hoods. I'd get some real pedals too, but I can't see the point in clipless for every day riding. And a nice leather saddle so you can ride it for longer than fifteen minutes without padded panties.
You should see me when I REALLY start getting heretical.

seau grateau 04-25-14 04:17 AM

Needs silver levers and -2 valve caps. Also like -5 gear inches from the looks of it.

hairnet 04-25-14 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by europa (Post 16697770)
If that were my bike, I'd rotate those bars up so the run to the brakes was either flat or at an angle that supports your hand, then slide the brake levers forwards until you get a smooth transition from bars to brake hoods. I'd get some real pedals too, but I can't see the point in clipless for every day riding. And a nice leather saddle so you can ride it for longer than fifteen minutes without padded panties.
You should see me when I REALLY start getting heretical.


https://masochistmusing.files.wordpr...speechless.gif

hairnet 04-25-14 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 16696886)
This is my new SS

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/p...psa54534d0.jpg

I was hit by a motorist in February, and a friend threw this together for me as a get well gift. Other than the brake levers, it's all Campagnolo(even the hoops). Soon I'll convert it back to a geared bike with period correct components, but this works for me(for now).

Other than the saddle-to-bar drop, I dig it.

EX3 04-25-14 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
new to the forum, lovin' this thread.

tell me how perfect my commuter is...

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376626

prooftheory 04-25-14 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EX3 (Post 16701787)
new to the forum, lovin' this thread.

tell me how perfect my commuter is...

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=376626

The rear wheel ought to match the front. The chainring should be silver. The brake should be silver. Not a fan of the sticker but... The frame looks nice and the saddle is appropriate. What is going on with the brake lever?

EX3 04-25-14 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prooftheory (Post 16701810)
The rear wheel ought to match the front. The chainring should be silver. The brake should be silver. Not a fan of the sticker but... The frame looks nice and the saddle is appropriate. What is going on with the brake lever?

lots of people tell me about silver brake. i was originally planning to get silver crankset but was in a rush to finish this bike last year before winter and ended up buying 48t that was easily accessible... i don't care too much to change it now.

it's an old 82 panasonic i bought off kijiji to convert and i used the original lever which has 2 levers on it for different positions and looks something like:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...TPuQi/$_57.JPG

IAmSam 04-25-14 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EX3 (Post 16701787)
...tell me how perfect my commuter is...

Got to love the assumptive close...

prooftheory 04-25-14 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EX3 (Post 16701865)
it's an old 82 panasonic i bought off kijiji to convert and i used the original lever which has 2 levers on it for different positions and looks something like:

This is definitely something I don't like.

Scrodzilla 04-25-14 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EX3 (Post 16701865)

aka "suicide levers" or "turkey wings".

EX3 04-25-14 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16702091)
aka "suicide levers" or "turkey wings".

did not know that—thanks!

Sixty Fiver 04-25-14 04:32 PM

Hit me...

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...enew%20(5).JPG

BoSoxYacht 04-25-14 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 16701772)
Other than the saddle-to-bar drop, I dig it.

It's funny that a few have pointed out saddle-bar drop as an issue. It's the same as my road bike, and that has never given me an issue. I guess I'm more flexible than many here. I would like a longer stem for a bit more reach.

hairnet 04-25-14 06:20 PM

That's fine. I used to ride like that and these days I have no idea how I ever did it. My riding style has really mellowed out over the years.

GMJ 04-25-14 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16702275)
Hit me...

Is there any particular reason why you didn't use levers that would allow cable routing under the tape?

It also looks like there is a rear caliper and lever but no cable. wut?

Soo__Fuego 04-25-14 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 16701772)
Other than the saddle-to-bar drop, I dig it.

I agree, solid ride though.

Sixty Fiver 04-25-14 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMJ (Post 16702505)
Is there any particular reason why you didn't use levers that would allow cable routing under the tape?

It also looks like there is a rear caliper and lever but no cable. wut?

I had the Superbe levers and they are too sweet to waste and a 40 year old bike looks right with standard levers (I might connect my bell to the dummy). The rear "brake" is actually a ring lock that secures the rear wheel to the frame and the red loctite in the bolts makes removing it a b***** so I can worry less about my handbuilt wheels.

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/31/00/91/9121.jpg

I swapped in a 20 tooth cog this evening to take care of the steep gearing issue... now I can run a 72/79 gearing.

http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikep...te20%20(2).JPG

Soo__Fuego 04-25-14 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16702937)
The rear "brake" is actually a ring lock that secures the rear wheel to the frame and the red loctite in the bolts makes removing it a b***** so I can worry less about my handbuilt wheels.

Sneaky sneaky old man.

Sixty Fiver 04-25-14 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soo__Fuego (Post 16703029)
Sneaky sneaky old man.

One would normally mount the ring lock inside the frame but it looks better and is more conspicuous with it's face out... if I am just running in and out I can shackle the front wheel to the frame (and something solid) and engage the ring lock.

It also keeps the bike from rolling / falling if you use it as parking brake... :D

europa 04-26-14 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16703038)
One would normally mount the ring lock inside the frame but it looks better and is more conspicuous with it's face out... if I am just running in and out I can shackle the front wheel to the frame (and something solid) and engage the ring lock.

It also keeps the bike from rolling / falling if you use it as parking brake... :D

It also leads to harmless amusement for spectators when you forget to unlock the thing (I had one on my bike when I was in high school)

Sealth 04-26-14 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished her. What do you think.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 PM.