Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-11, 07:45 PM   #1
schmittie120
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
600 dollar Complete

Like the title says I have about 600 for a complete bike. I am not new to bikes, I am a big lurker in the Classic and Vintage section and occasionally here. I will eventually upgrade things as they wear out but I want something that will last for a while (if there is anything at this price range that will). Thanks
schmittie120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 07:50 PM   #2
yummygooey
i smell bacon
 
yummygooey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wabi Classic, or you can find a Surly Steamroller on sale.
yummygooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 07:58 PM   #3
Capocaccia
Senior Member
 
Capocaccia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittie120 View Post
Like the title says I have about 600 for a complete bike. I am not new to bikes, I am a big lurker in the Classic and Vintage section and occasionally here. I will eventually upgrade things as they wear out but I want something that will last for a while (if there is anything at this price range that will). Thanks
What are you going to be using the bike for? This will play a big factor in which bike you should get.

www.bikesdirect.com <- this was going to be referenced by someone eventually but you can get some good deals on bikes below $600.

Me being partial to the langster, you can easily find one for sub $600.
Capocaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 08:05 PM   #4
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
langster/steamroller has the advantage of the lbs - you can be fitted, pick the right size, and test ride it (since sizing varies company to company). if you are more experienced, then i would buy a mercier kilo tt (i know, typical responce) and change out the crappy kenda tires, ass hatchet seat, and some bars and tape of your choice, and still be well under 600 in the case something else needs to be replaced.
xkillemallx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 08:20 PM   #5
arp415
what? NO!
 
arp415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hollywood, CA
Bikes: 1988 Bridgestone RB-2 converted to ss
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+ 1 for the wabi classic.

Last edited by arp415; 01-15-11 at 08:28 PM.
arp415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 08:52 PM   #6
kabex
Senior Member
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about the Moto team track one? People say it's a hell of a bike for the price.
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 08:57 PM   #7
Capocaccia
Senior Member
 
Capocaccia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabex View Post
What about the Moto team track one? People say it's a hell of a bike for the price.

It is. But its $795. OP if you can stretch that I would suggest as well as many others to go for it.

Were talking about this bike: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...team_track.htm
Capocaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 09:26 PM   #8
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it is a hell of a bike for the price, but a hell of a bike for the price on the track. no brakes, hard aluminum frame, high gearing, etc. is a no-go for the street, even if it does have dura ace cranks.
xkillemallx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 09:37 PM   #9
Capocaccia
Senior Member
 
Capocaccia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ya I should have waited for an answer to my original question of how are you going to be using this bike.
Capocaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 11:55 PM   #10
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A while back someone answered one of these "I have $--- to spend, what should I get?" threads. I think it went something like this:

Any response that says, "you should get _____ bike" is totally useless because the OP didn't describe at all what they want. Do you want a bike for racing at the track? Commuting? Off-road? General road riding? Until you say specifically what the bike will be used for we can't give you a worthwhile response.
FastJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 12:26 AM   #11
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民
 
PluperfectArson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 View Post
ass hatchet seat
I did not think it was THAT bad.
PluperfectArson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:38 AM   #12
schmittie120
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it is going to be used for commuting (less than 10 miles per trip). And also for some fun late night rides.
schmittie120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:43 AM   #13
vw addict
Senior Member
 
vw addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IRO Angus with money left over for upgrades to your liking.
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 01:36 PM   #14
fxdgrjedi
Fakenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes: Yo Eddy Team, Serotta Colorado II
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
IRO Angus with money left over for upgrades to your liking.
+1 . use the extra $$ to buy a nice saddle.

/thread. Really.
fxdgrjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 01:52 PM   #15
hamish5178
Senior Member
 
hamish5178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 View Post
it is a hell of a bike for the price, but a hell of a bike for the price on the track. no brakes, hard aluminum frame, high gearing, etc. is a no-go for the street, even if it does have dura ace cranks.
Coming from the guy who owns a Mash???

I have a team track and ride it on the street, it's a great bike. I added a front brake (it comes with a rear brake and lever) and swapped out the cog for a larger one (it comes with three cogs and lockrings).

So, you're out $20 extra for that front brake. . .
hamish5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:19 PM   #16
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish5178 View Post
Coming from the guy who owns a Mash???

I have a team track and ride it on the street, it's a great bike. I added a front brake (it comes with a rear brake and lever) and swapped out the cog for a larger one (it comes with three cogs and lockrings).

So, you're out $20 extra for that front brake. . .
yes, coming from a guy that has a mash and a pista concept - because the fact that i own two aluminum track bikes that i can tell anyone that is thinking about it that it is not the best use for the streets from a little something called personal experience. i was naive in thinking that aluminum would be an equivalent street ride to steel, and i was wrong - just warning the op so he doesnt waste his money on a bike that doesnt have the ride quality he wants. great, you like your bike - but comparable steel is always a better ride for commuting, where he is going to be riding. youre using the wrong bike for the purpose, dont try to justify your purchases here. 20$ out is already 220 dollars out of budget.
xkillemallx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:32 PM   #17
hamish5178
Senior Member
 
hamish5178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 View Post
yes, coming from a guy that has a mash and a pista concept - because the fact that i own two aluminum track bikes that i can tell anyone that is thinking about it that it is not the best use for the streets from a little something called personal experience. i was naive in thinking that aluminum would be an equivalent street ride to steel, and i was wrong - just warning the op so he doesnt waste his money on a bike that doesnt have the ride quality he wants. great, you like your bike - but comparable steel is always a better ride for commuting, where he is going to be riding. youre using the wrong bike for the purpose, dont try to justify your purchases here. 20$ out is already 220 dollars out of budget.
Touchy touchy, not trying to justify my purchase, I assumed that since you had two aluminum track bikes that something odd was up, though I'm glad you didn't tell me your Mash was for track use only
hamish5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:33 PM   #18
xkillemallx16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: im, hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish5178 View Post
Touchy touchy, not trying to justify my purchase, I assumed that since you had two aluminum track bikes that something odd was up, though I'm glad you didn't tell me your Mash was for track use only
thats because its not built up. im considering not finishing it, and getting something of the lugged steel variety. decisions, decisions.
xkillemallx16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 03:48 PM   #19
schmittie120
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well i have been looking around locally here are some prices I found

2010 Surly Steamroller, 460, almost new (less than 2 miles)
2009 Jamis Beatnik 325, brand new
2009 Jamis Sputnik, 440, brand new
2009 GT Gutterball, 390, brand new

I am thinking about these four bikes. My riding will be all on pretty crappy streets, some nice bike trails though. What do you guys think?
schmittie120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 03:55 PM   #20
vw addict
Senior Member
 
vw addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
those bikes are all your size?
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 04:47 PM   #21
Capocaccia
Senior Member
 
Capocaccia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittie120 View Post
well i have been looking around locally here are some prices I found

2010 Surly Steamroller, 460, almost new (less than 2 miles)
2009 Jamis Beatnik 325, brand new
2009 Jamis Sputnik, 440, brand new
2009 GT Gutterball, 390, brand new

I am thinking about these four bikes. My riding will be all on pretty crappy streets, some nice bike trails though. What do you guys think?

Heres how I look at it. The Steamroller is only 20$ more than the Jamis which eliminates the Jamis from my decision. I dont like GT's. They are the bike supplier for Team Saturn meaning they actually dont have any real race team just a sponsorship. This makes me question if there is real research going into their bikes.

So the GT and Sputnik are out. Looking at the Beatnik I see a 2 year old (probably used) mediocre bike. You can easily get a bikesdirect.com bike brand new with very similar, almost equal component setups to the 2 year old Jamis for 325$.

If Im you, I dont buy any of the bikes above. Id pay 400$ tops for the steamroller and thats the only one Id spend money on. There just more bike to be had elsewhere for less or same money.
Capocaccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 06:25 PM   #22
schmittie120
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
all bikes are my size and all are brand new, except for the steamroller which literally has two miles on it (shop demo bike).

As for the bikesdirect bikes, I am liking the kilo tt pro with the chrome. But i am looking around, personally i think i would rather pay 30 less for a 2010 steamroller. But i will keep looking

Last edited by schmittie120; 01-16-11 at 06:31 PM.
schmittie120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 06:33 PM   #23
vw addict
Senior Member
 
vw addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would go for the Steamroller then, as long as it really has 2ish miles and isn't beat up
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 06:38 PM   #24
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民
 
PluperfectArson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since it is the shop demo bike, I bet you could have them reduce the price if you talked them into it.
PluperfectArson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 07:58 PM   #25
schmittie120
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i already talked them down. I went and looked at it again and there is not a scratch on the thing. I really trust this shop they, i have been going there for 4 years so i know they are not trying pull anything over me. I am gonna thik about it for a few days and then make my decision.
schmittie120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.