Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-11, 04:43 PM   #1
Austinnh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chain noise? Can I make it go away?

I'm getting some chain noise from my Surly Steamroller pre-built. It's definitely the chain (or fixed cog or chainring), because when I remove the chain, I can spin the rear wheel or pedals without noise. I don't think it's alignment. The rear wheel is pointing straight ahead, and I haven't touched the chainring or cog. Tension doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. The chain was recently cleaned pretty thoroughly (removed, put in bottle with hot water and solvents, shaken vigorously) and the sprockets brushed clean, and chain re-lubed with some wax-based lubricant.

When I bought the bike, it was totally silent. After a few months it started to make noise so I cleaned and re-lubed the chain. That solved the problem. But the noise came back after a couple more months. So cleaned and re-lubed again. No good. So I had the shop do a more thorough job with the wax based lubricant and all. Still no change.

Can I get rid of the chain noise? Or is noise just a fact of life with chains? It wasn't noisy when new.
Austinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:46 PM   #2
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 6,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some cogs and chainrings will be very quiet in the beginning of their lives; it might get louder when it's more worn.

If not, just live with the noise.

Last edited by Squirrelli; 01-17-11 at 06:13 PM.
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:49 PM   #3
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
How many miles do you have on the chain? Have you checked to see if it has stretched? Chains do wear out. Also, cogs wear and can become noisy as well.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:07 PM   #4
Austinnh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vixtor, but the chain/sprockets started out quiet. It's taken it approximately a year to acquire this persistent noise.

Tejano, I estimate the chain/sprockets have no more than 500 miles on them. I just checked for wear after viewing a quick video tutorial. When measuring 1ft. of chain, there is between 1/16 and 1/8 in. of "stretch" (which I understand to actually be wear). According to Sheldon Brown I'm somewhere between the "replace the chain" mark and the "replace the chain and sprocket" mark.

Soooooo... that's the problem then, right?

Thanks for the help!
Austinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:12 PM   #5
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 6,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lulz I had quiet and loud backward.
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:15 PM   #6
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinnh View Post
Tejano, I estimate the chain/sprockets have no more than 500 miles on them. I just checked for wear after viewing a quick video tutorial. When measuring 1ft. of chain, there is between 1/16 and 1/8 in. of "stretch" (which I understand to actually be wear). According to Sheldon Brown I'm somewhere between the "replace the chain" mark and the "replace the chain and sprocket" mark.

Soooooo... that's the problem then, right?
Yepper. That would exceed my criteria for chain stretch (wear). I'd first just replace the chain, and if you get a lot of noise and grinding from the cog (sprocket), then replace it too. I'd recommend getting a SRAM branded chain.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:21 PM   #7
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 6,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're on a budget, SRAM PC-1 is the perfect chain; if you can stretch a bit, get the PC-7X.
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:30 PM   #8
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
If you're on a budget, SRAM PC-1 is the perfect chain; if you can stretch a bit, get the PC-7X.
Vix, if it's the stock Steamroller chain and cog / chainring, it'll be 3/32, so I'd recommend a SRAM PC-8xx series 8-speed chain, for example http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=684 which has the convenience of a tooless quick link.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:39 PM   #9
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I hear sram chains it makes me knees hurt. Snapped way too many of those. I tend to prefer my kmc stuff.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:01 PM   #10
evilcryalotmore
モㄥ工匕モ 爪モ爪乃モ尺
 
evilcryalotmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA San Gabriel, California
Bikes: Custom frame
Posts: 2,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^ Really? Are sram's chains too weak for your horsepower?
evilcryalotmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:38 PM   #11
dookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
When I hear sram chains it makes me knees hurt. Snapped way too many of those. I tend to prefer my kmc stuff.
the PC-1 was also extremely unreliable in my experience. i never used it on the road, but broke 2 or 3 on my XC SS mtb before i decided that it wasn't my chain installation skills at fault. i now use a kmc stainless (s-10?) and have not had a single issue. do a couple searches and you will find *many* accounts of PC-1 breakage.
dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:47 PM   #12
erpdat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to the OP - Are you sure your chain isn't too tight? I run like 3/4" slack. You will go faster and you won't destroy your chain/chain ring/cog. Will help with the noise too.

But in reality, is there really such a thing as a completely quiet drive train?
erpdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:53 PM   #13
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
^^^ PC-1, perhaps, but not any of the 7/8 speed 3/32 chains PC-8xx. I've used several extensively w/o any problems. Also, I've not heard anything bad about the higher end PC-7X 1/8 chain, although I have no personal experience. For track racing I don't mess around and use an Izumi ESH with the bolted master link.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:54 PM   #14
erpdat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
^^^ PC-1, perhaps, but not any of the 7/8 speed 3/32 chains PC-8xx. I've used several extensively w/o any problems. Also, I've not heard anything bad about the higher end PC-7X 1/8 chain, although I have no personal experience. For track racing I don't mess around and use an Izumi ESH with the bolted master link.

+1. I use an Izumi chain on the street. Over 1,500 miles later, not a single problem.
erpdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:02 PM   #15
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 6,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had good experience with a PC-1 on my fixed gear with reasonably large drivetrain, I wouldn't use it my BMX though.
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:19 PM   #16
PluperfectArson
沒有腳踏車的居民
 
PluperfectArson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes: Mericier Kilo TT Pro
Posts: 1,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpdat View Post
But in reality, is there really such a thing as a completely quiet drive train?
I have heard some that came pretty damn close.

Mine was quiet for a while, then I had it cleaned and serviced. My chainline is not completely straight, so I expect some chain noise. You become used to it after a while.

I will probably purchase a different cog and chain here soon, though.
PluperfectArson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:27 PM   #17
erpdat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes:
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I personally don't mind some chain noise. I actually kind of like it.
erpdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:29 PM   #18
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
IME some cogs are louder than others. Surlys are loudest, Dura Aces are moderately noisy and Somas are quietest. I've heard people say that the more expensive EAIs are whisper quiet. The worst cog I ever had was the stock one that came on my Kilo WT, which was also not concentric. Loud, rough and very uneven chain tension. I tossed it.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:31 PM   #19
Squirrelli
GONE~
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 6,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpdat View Post
I personally don't mind some chain noise. I actually kind of like it.
Yea, same here. My drive train doesn't even make much noise at all...my pedals squeak and that's probably the worst.

Origin8 was pretty quiet when I first started to use it, it still is.
Squirrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:08 PM   #20
Austinnh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpdat View Post
to the OP - Are you sure your chain isn't too tight? I run like 3/4" slack. You will go faster and you won't destroy your chain/chain ring/cog. Will help with the noise too.

But in reality, is there really such a thing as a completely quiet drive train?
When you say 3/4" slack (which I assume means three quarters, not three or four ), how is that measured? When I push my chain up and down, the total range of motion is approximately 1" with moderate pressure, whatever that means. I don't think I have it very tight.

Well when I got this bike, I couldn't hear a thing. The sound of the wind and the tires on the road overwhelmed any drive train noise as far as I could tell. It was pleasing.
Austinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:11 PM   #21
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,262
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Yes, the measurement is the total up and down slack, and 1" is plenty if not excessive. I adjust my chain such that it has approximately " slack at its tightest point.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:31 PM   #22
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcryalotmore View Post
^^ Really? Are sram's chains too weak for your horsepower?
Never had luck with them.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:47 PM   #23
Build your own
%#&*#%>?%
 
Build your own's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mass
Bikes: Pake,Shogun,Nishiki,Motobecane
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtor View Post
Origin8 was pretty quiet when I first started to use it, it still is.
I used to swear by EAI but used a origin 8 on my last build and i'm liking it a lot.Great cog for 1/2 the price.
Build your own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:25 PM   #24
raspberri
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GMT +07:00
Bikes:
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinnh View Post
I'm getting some chain noise from my Surly Steamroller pre-built. It's definitely the chain (or fixed cog or chainring), because when I remove the chain, I can spin the rear wheel or pedals without noise. I don't think it's alignment. The rear wheel is pointing straight ahead, and I haven't touched the chainring or cog. Tension doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. The chain was recently cleaned pretty thoroughly (removed, put in bottle with hot water and solvents, shaken vigorously) and the sprockets brushed clean, and chain re-lubed with some wax-based lubricant.

When I bought the bike, it was totally silent. After a few months it started to make noise so I cleaned and re-lubed the chain. That solved the problem. But the noise came back after a couple more months. So cleaned and re-lubed again. No good. So I had the shop do a more thorough job with the wax based lubricant and all. Still no change.

Can I get rid of the chain noise? Or is noise just a fact of life with chains? It wasn't noisy when new.
define totally silent....?
i never heard drivetrain so silent, even if it has totally perfect derailleur settings, nice, clean, re-lubed the chain with teflon coated lube.....

if you hate chain noise, try make noise harder from other part, such as your rear hub.....
or riding in the crowd, or you can always use your i pod....
raspberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:01 AM   #25
Austinnh
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By totally silent I mean I could not detect any noise from it. I could hear the tires on the road. I could hear the wind. But I could not hear the drive train while I was riding the bike. Maybe my ears suck.
Austinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.