Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member thedutchtouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    Leader 722ts
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    used sugino 75 or new omniums if price is the same

    which one would you recommend? the history of the 75's are unknown, but supposed to be ~500 miles used. frame's a leader 722ts.

  2. #2
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that frame, I'd go with the traditional look of the Sugino 75. Also, the finish on the Sugino is better than the Sram, particularly on the inside of the spider.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  3. #3
    Senior Member thedutchtouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    My Bikes
    Leader 722ts
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    For that frame, I'd go with the traditional look of the Sugino 75. Also, the finish on the Sugino is better than the Sram, particularly on the inside of the spider.
    thanks, i was leaning that way as well, i think i'm unnecessarily scared of using used parts for this build because it's my first new frame build, i recycled a lot of used parts on my previous builds which were all conversions.

    doesn't make any sense, i know.

  4. #4
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about mileage on cranks so much as if they were involved in any kind of accident which may have damaged them. Also, with square taper cranks like Sugino 75, if they aren't installed tight enough and get loose while riding, the taper can get damaged. So, that's the type of information I'd want to have when buying used cranks.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  5. #5
    Senior Member polobreaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Leader 722ts
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the s75 looks better on the 722ts.

    i have s75 on the 722ts and omniums on the rush hour. they both are good cranks.

    will the used s75 come with bottom bracket? the omniums brand new comes with bottom bracket.

    heres is how my bike looks with s75

  6. #6
    GONE~
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Sugino 65 limited edition.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say do yourself a favor and get an external BB crank. I used to think square taper cranks were just as good, then I got a bike with a good external BB crank. Plus, a really good set of external BB bearings are super cheap compared to a good square taper BB. Unless square taper cranks are next to free, I woudln't spend any serious money on them. Unless you're going for a look that is, since this is the SSFG forum..
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Dude, when you live by the Tarck sword, you die by the Tarck sword. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

  8. #8
    my bike Owns me+my wallet Kol.klink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sudbury, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Px-10 singeld, 2007 KHS filte 100
    Posts
    710
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clink83 View Post
    I would say do yourself a favor and get an external BB crank. I used to think square taper cranks were just as good, then I got a bike with a good external BB crank. Plus, a really good set of external BB bearings are super cheap compared to a good square taper BB. Unless square taper cranks are next to free, I woudln't spend any serious money on them. Unless you're going for a look that is, since this is the SSFG forum..
    +1

    Although only dura-ace external bb's seem to be the only ones that are any good.


    What is the "same price" because sram can be had cheap but if you're getting the 75's under 200 that might be a good deal.

  9. #9
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you guys seen the prices on really good external bottom brackets?

    I know of quite a few that make a good square taper BB look dirt cheap.

    These are mtb bb's, but will give you an idea....

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Steel+Bb.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c+Bb+Cups.aspx

    Here's a road one($244)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB406I00-Fsa+Ceramic+Megaexo+Bb+Cups.aspx\

    And a GXP one:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ring+Cups.aspx
    Last edited by Dannihilator; 01-26-11 at 12:12 AM.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  10. #10
    GONE~
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope's external bbs are so expensive.

  11. #11
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can understand paying a lot for a headset since those tend to last much much much longer than a bottom bracket will. I just don't understand why bottom brackets have to be so ridiculously expensive.

    To the OP, as long as there is a bottom bracket that comes with the omniums, I'd go new over used.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  12. #12
    Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz cc700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    seattle
    My Bikes
    tirove
    Posts
    8,549
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 30 dollar shimano and sram bb's are just fine for me and have been going strong for two winters in the rain here.

    i'd like a king bb or a ceramic bb but honestly the 30 dollar gxp bb is not bad, and a good square taper can be expensive too.

  13. #13
    dsh
    dsh is offline
    Oh, you know... dsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DC
    My Bikes
    '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)
    Posts
    2,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally get the used 75s, so people would think I had been riding my bike longer than I have.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilator View Post
    Have you guys seen the prices on really good external bottom brackets?

    I know of quite a few that make a good square taper BB look dirt cheap.

    These are mtb bb's, but will give you an idea....

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Steel+Bb.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c+Bb+Cups.aspx

    Here's a road one($244)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB406I00-Fsa+Ceramic+Megaexo+Bb+Cups.aspx\

    And a GXP one:

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ring+Cups.aspx
    If you're dumb enough to spend money on ceramic BBs that may be the case, but a cheap SRAM or shimano square taper BB is 20-30 bucks, while a Dura Ace external BB is only 30-40 dollars. That's a huge savings for the quality of what you're getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by carleton View Post
    Dude, when you live by the Tarck sword, you die by the Tarck sword. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

  15. #15
    To be continued Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    19,072
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clink83 View Post
    If you're dumb enough to spend money on ceramic BBs that may be the case, but a cheap SRAM or shimano square taper BB is 20-30 bucks, while a Dura Ace external BB is only 30-40 dollars. That's a huge savings for the quality of what you're getting.

    I was just saying. I think the uber expensive bb's are dumb.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Benson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    Raleigh RHP, Raleigh Team 2002
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand for my SRAM Omnium cranks with its sealed external bearings they are easy to maintain and install. Cranks are strong stiff and is priced very good for a whole crankset. $165 at BI

  17. #17
    * adriano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Baltimore
    My Bikes
    http://velospace.org/node/18951
    Posts
    6,883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres no difference.

  18. #18
    Fueled by Tigers Blood avner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Echo Park, California
    Posts
    1,498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    theres no difference.
    Other then price.

    I've got 75 crank arms and I've been debating keeping them. I think they're very perdy but it'll cost me nearly 60 bucks more then brand new omniums to get the used 75 crank arms on my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    Genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 View Post
    Save your dignity and go back to hopping curbs on your langster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgesus View Post
    only thing cars are good for is hitting me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •