Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Uncle Sixty's Gearing Primer for Newbs (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/716371-uncle-sixtys-gearing-primer-newbs.html)

Leukybear 11-27-13 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 spoke (Post 16282012)
so im 15 and weigh 126, would pushing a 50/18 ratio be good

It'll stunt your growth.

Not too sure about the scientific merits of the above statement but we can't speak for you for that question.
However, you are ultimately limited by how strong your lower body is, how fit you are, and the topography of the area you plan to ride in.

In such a case, the old saying holds true, you won't know until you try.

TheRealFaux 11-27-13 03:18 AM

i weigh 105lbs. 50/18 iz so gud.

1 spoke 11-27-13 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealFaux (Post 16282081)
i weigh 105lbs. 50/18 iz so gud.

do you live in an area with alot of hills?

1 spoke 11-27-13 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leukybear (Post 16282016)
It'll stunt your growth.

Not too sure about the scientific merits of the above statement but we can't speak for you for that question.
However, you are ultimately limited by how strong your lower body is, how fit you are, and the topography of the area you plan to ride in.

In such a case, the old saying holds true, you won't know until you try.

i am currently riding 50/16 is this ratio good

GENESTARWIND 11-27-13 07:09 PM

Not if you enjoy using your knees when you get older, 69 through 72 gear inch is a good area to start

GENESTARWIND 11-27-13 07:20 PM

Everyone said its better to spin then mash.

jowilson 11-28-13 02:15 PM

I just switched from 46/14 to 53/16 today. I haven't ridden it enlighten yet to notice a huge difference. That's going from 86 GI to 87 GI.

I'd also like to add that gain ratios are probably better for comparing bikes with different crank lengths because they take into account the crank lengths. Gain ratio for my fixie is 6.5.

IAmSam 05-30-14 01:35 PM

This was the absolute most helpful thread I found when researching how to set-up my own gearing...

Perhaps if it was pulled out of the sticky index at the top of the forum and made a separate sticky, maybe even renamed something like "Official Gearing Thread Thread", it would get some action and you wouldn't have the steady stream of repetitive questions about gear ratios we've seen here lately :crash:

hairnet 05-30-14 05:53 PM

Report it to the Mods if you want your idea to get attention.

europa 05-30-14 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 16807185)
Report it to the Mods if you want your idea to get attention.

And people still wouldn't read it :bang:

Sixty Fiver 05-31-14 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmSam (Post 16806450)
This was the absolute most helpful thread I found when researching how to set-up my own gearing...

Perhaps if it was pulled out of the sticky index at the top of the forum and made a separate sticky, maybe even renamed something like "Official Gearing Thread Thread", it would get some action and you wouldn't have the steady stream of repetitive questions about gear ratios we've seen here lately :crash:

What is wrong with the name of the thread ?

europa 05-31-14 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 16807928)
What is wrong with the name of the thread ?

It should have been called "Europa's really really useful guide to gearing", but you wouldn't use it ... and just because I didn't write it too :(


We are hijacking this thread a bit, maybe you should consider asking the mods to lock it ... but only after someone posts a clip of "Bicycle Repair Man" (I think that's the name of the character in your avatar, I can visualise the skit in all it's horrendous glory)

Beardogger 06-22-16 12:00 PM

Great thread. I just browsed it, learned a lot. Just getting into SSFG riding, and have a lot to learn.

IAmSam 06-22-16 02:41 PM

Kudos to you Beardogger for finding and making use of this very informative thread, instead of starting a new "What gear ratio should I run?" thread like all the geniuses here usually do...

Beardogger 06-26-16 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmSam (Post 18863366)
Kudos to you Beardogger for finding and making use of this very informative thread, instead of starting a new "What gear ratio should I run?" thread like all the geniuses here usually do...

LOL! Every once in a while, even a blind hog finds an acorn!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 AM.