Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 2607
  1. #276
    "Livin' Like Superstars!" v1ral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, I'm starting to get back into riding fixed gear after being away from just bikes in general for 9 or so years.. I have a stock Kilo TT I picked up from BikesDirect and just need some opinions for just a stable bike. Would changing the lock ring and cog be a good idea to start?

  2. #277
    Blaster of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,619
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes. Having them properly installed is very important too.

  3. #278
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1ral View Post
    Hey guys, I'm starting to get back into riding fixed gear after being away from just bikes in general for 9 or so years.. I have a stock Kilo TT I picked up from BikesDirect and just need some opinions for just a stable bike. Would changing the lock ring and cog be a good idea to start?
    Yes, and +1 to what Scrod said, mine wasn't tightened enough out of the box and let's just say interesting things happened the first time I tried to skid.

  4. #279
    Senior Member Gabuyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently just picked up the profile design aqua rack. I read that it fits 27.2-31.6mm seatposts. Since the Kilo is 26.8mm, I was wondering is anyone had experienced any problems when using these?

  5. #280
    Painfully average. calv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oakland/Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    all city mr pink
    Posts
    2,537
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never used it but I'd assume it's too big to fit on the seat post securely?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
    The stories about the smell are absolutely true: straight elephant dick.
    All City Mr Pink

  6. #281
    Senior Member Gabuyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just mounted it onto the post, tightened it down and it seems pretty secure right now. If anything I was thinking about buying a 25.4-26.0 handlebar shim and just using that in addition to the shim that allows -31.6mm post use, but that might be more detrimental than just not using a second shim at all.

    EDIT: I decided to use some spare rubber shims that are used when mounting bike lights. I'll update later on and see what happens.
    Last edited by Gabuyo; 05-18-11 at 03:45 AM.

  7. #282
    OASAASLLS
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orlando FL
    My Bikes
    Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running no spacers on my aquarack and I've had it on there for 2 weeks and pulled bottles in and out of it and have had no issues with it slipping at all.
    My Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Actually, it's two coffee cans with a honeydew melon balancing on top. ;)

  8. #283
    Senior Member Gabuyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UCF Eric View Post
    I'm running no spacers on my aquarack and I've had it on there for 2 weeks and pulled bottles in and out of it and have had no issues with it slipping at all.
    There are 2 different models of the aquarack. One for 26.8-27.2 and one 27.2-31.6. I have the larger mounting size and it comes with a thick shim to fit 27.2mm bars, do you have that size as well?
    Last edited by Gabuyo; 05-18-11 at 07:11 PM.

  9. #284
    Member Gamgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, TX
    My Bikes
    '10 Mercier Kilo TT
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snapped a quick picture out on my ride today...

    EDIT: Wow that picture quality was terrible. I tried to make it a little better:
    myk2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gamgee; 05-18-11 at 07:49 PM.

  10. #285
    OASAASLLS
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orlando FL
    My Bikes
    Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabuyo View Post
    There are 2 different models of the aquarack. One for 26.8-27.2 and one 27.2-31.6. I have the larger mounting size and it comes with a thick shim to fit 27.2mm bars, do you have that size as well?
    Yes, as far as I can tell it's the 27.2-31.6 clamp. It has a hard metal shim.
    My Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Actually, it's two coffee cans with a honeydew melon balancing on top. ;)

  11. #286
    Senior Member Gabuyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright cool, thanks.

  12. #287
    Painfully average. calv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oakland/Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    all city mr pink
    Posts
    2,537
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't resist putting the stock drops back on my bike and going for a short ride with my gf. Few questions.

    1) I remember watching some video TT posted about bike fit, saying something about how to determine stem length, you should be able to see that your front hub and handle bar aligns.. From there you can determine if you need it shorter or longer. Well, when I was riding the tops of the stock kilo tt bars, it aligned perfectly, though I got into the drops and it was way far forward, and I felt a little cramped. Maybe I should get a longer stem? I felt somewhat comfortable on a 100mm with bullhorns. But a little stretched when riding the horns.

    2) I believe my chain tension is pretty legit, it has the right amount of slack, but I noticed that my drivetrain is pretty noisy. I ONLY hear a loud clicking noise when I am having any sort of resistance to the cranks/back pedaling, but not when I am pedaling forward.

    For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about: you know when you have slack on a chain, you can move your pedals back and forth a bit before the chain engages fully.. It only makes noise when I'm in the "back" position. Hence when I have any sort of resistance on the cranks while pedaling.

    What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
    The stories about the smell are absolutely true: straight elephant dick.
    All City Mr Pink

  13. #288
    rue the whirl motobeCarnage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are there any kilo frames that don't come drilled for a rear brake?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
    i prefer anal beads

  14. #289
    Blaster of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,619
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calv View Post
    I believe my chain tension is pretty legit, it has the right amount of slack, but I noticed that my drivetrain is pretty noisy. I ONLY hear a loud clicking noise when I am having any sort of resistance to the cranks/back pedaling, but not when I am pedaling forward.

    For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about: you know when you have slack on a chain, you can move your pedals back and forth a bit before the chain engages fully.. It only makes noise when I'm in the "back" position. Hence when I have any sort of resistance on the cranks while pedaling.

    What do you guys think?
    New drive train parts are often a little noisy. Let them break in a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by motobeCarnage View Post
    are there any kilo frames that don't come drilled for a rear brake?
    No.

  15. #290
    Painfully average. calv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oakland/Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    all city mr pink
    Posts
    2,537
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's probably it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
    The stories about the smell are absolutely true: straight elephant dick.
    All City Mr Pink

  16. #291
    OASAASLLS
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orlando FL
    My Bikes
    Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone tell me if you have this same dent as me? It's about an inch inside the driveside dropout on the inside of the frame.



    My Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Actually, it's two coffee cans with a honeydew melon balancing on top. ;)

  17. #292
    Painfully average. calv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oakland/Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    all city mr pink
    Posts
    2,537
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have the same thing on my white kilo, couldn't even tell until i looked at it hard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
    The stories about the smell are absolutely true: straight elephant dick.
    All City Mr Pink

  18. #293
    OASAASLLS
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orlando FL
    My Bikes
    Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, that makes me feel a lot better. I dropped the chain and had it wrap around my cog and snap my chain in half, and bed my cranks and just wanted to make sure that it didn't also twist my frame up. Thanks.
    My Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Actually, it's two coffee cans with a honeydew melon balancing on top. ;)

  19. #294
    Senior Member hamish5178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was this the victim of a front-end collision?

    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/2394648178.html

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    It's a fixie, reasonablility was never a factor.
    My poser bike

    my non-poser bike?

  20. #295
    i smell bacon yummygooey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, Soma Grand Randonneur, TET Track, Trek 6500 MTB
    Posts
    5,600
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a serious question?
    // yummygooey

  21. #296
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayNev View Post
    NEW thread, very OLD picture
    No longer riding this bike, have a new one that'll be posted sometime


    Dat quill stem!

  22. #297
    Boricua Newb Roadie Shuagster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    My Bikes
    CAAD10 5
    Posts
    335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of getting a Kilo... Are the decals removable or are they under the clear coat? They are the only thing that are holding me from buying...

  23. #298
    Senior Member deadsouls.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    194
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuagster View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Kilo... Are the decals removable or are they under the clear coat? They are the only thing that are holding me from buying...
    Yes, they are under a clear coat. But BD sells the "Stripper" version that comes with no decals at all.

  24. #299
    Blaster of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,619
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish5178 View Post
    was this the victim of a front-end collision?

    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/2394648178.html

    Most likely not. It's been pretty well-discussed that BD send out a lot of Kilos with bad forks.

  25. #300
    i smell bacon yummygooey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, Soma Grand Randonneur, TET Track, Trek 6500 MTB
    Posts
    5,600
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look like the tire can clear the down tube.
    // yummygooey

Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •