Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   The New Mercier Kilo TT Pictures Thread (2011 & 2012) (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/721781-new-mercier-kilo-tt-pictures-thread-2011-2012-a.html)

TejanoTrackie 04-21-11 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calv (Post 12538338)
Are you saynig you put 650b wheels onto your track bike, or that your bikes with 650 wheels are better fitted for you?

The latter.

Scrodzilla 04-21-11 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botched (Post 12538165)

Same thing as what? That's nowhere near the same bike as a Fuji Track and none of the sizes come with 650c wheels.

Dauphine 04-21-11 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskaz (Post 12536780)

Well lo and behold, the Kilo TT now comes in a 44cm! This must be a new development, because I've looked into it before and the smallest was a 47. I assume it's still 700c wheels because the standover looks to be about 2+cm higher than the Fuji. I like that the Kilo comes with a flip-flop hub;

I emailed them about it awhile ago, the 44cm takes 400c, (ETA: NO, I MEANT IT COMES WITH 700C. wah) if you look at the geometry specs, it says that the 44cm has a slightly longer wheelbase as well. Ehhh. I am looking at getting a Kilo TT frame as well and putting 650c wheels on it. Definitely doable, there are tutorials galore on retrofitting bikes with 650 wheels on the internet. It is possible to find brakes with a longer reach to accommodate the smaller wheel, and it allows extra room for fenders and stuffs.

Scrodzilla 04-21-11 03:03 PM

400c? That's tiny!

Dauphine 04-21-11 03:04 PM

It's been a long day, and I am coffee-less. I think I meant 700c. Does 400c exist?

TejanoTrackie 04-21-11 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dauphine (Post 12538431)
I am looking at getting a Kilo TT frame as well and putting 650c wheels on it.

Bad idea. You will also lower the BB by 1" (25+ mm), which can lead to major pedal strike problems if you are riding fixed. It's the same as if you went from 165mm cranks to 190mm cranks. Frames that are properly designed for 650c wheels have less BB drop to avoid this problem due to the lower height of the wheels. Also, the bike will sit lower, because the fork will have shorter legs and you won't need to use super long reach brakes.

Dauphine 04-21-11 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 12538599)
Bad idea. You will also lower the BB by 1" (25+ mm), which can lead to major pedal strike problems if you are riding fixed. It's the same as if you went from 165mm cranks to 190mm cranks. Frames that are properly designed for 650c wheels have less BB drop to avoid this problem due to the lower height of the wheels. Also, the bike will sit lower, because the fork will have shorter legs and you won't need to use super long reach brakes.


I don't understand why everyone on here seems to think I would be riding it with 165mm cranks, because I have done the research, and 150/155 is my ideal.
#1. For the record, the Dauphine is a lady.
#2. Tektro brakes. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html
#3. The IRO HD sells out too quickly.

misskaz 04-21-11 03:39 PM

Aaaaah. Just called -- the bike shop has the Fuji in 43cm, just finished building it up today. I'm going to go test ride it after work. I will fall on my face; I am so scared to ride fixed, LOL.

TejanoTrackie 04-21-11 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dauphine (Post 12538627)
I don't understand why everyone on here seems to think I would be riding it with 165mm cranks, because I have done the research, and 150/155 is my ideal.
#1. For the record, the Dauphine is a lady.
#2. Tektro brakes. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-calipers.html
#3. The IRO HD sells out too quickly.

I know you're a lady, but that is irrelevant in this discussion. Even if you use 150mm cranks, you are still lowering the BB relative to 700c wheels by 10mm, which is like running 175mm cranks with 700c wheels. The longer the brake calipers, the less effective they are. As to the IRO HD selling out quickly, that is unfortunate, but IMO it's still worth the wait to get something that will work for you in the long run.

Dauphine 04-21-11 03:45 PM

My concern with the HD is that the top tube would be too short. :)

TejanoTrackie 04-21-11 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dauphine (Post 12538701)
My concern with the HD is that the top tube would be too short. :)

Well, the TT length on the 44cm Kilo TT and the IRO HD are about the same. The IRO HD comes with a 100mm stem, so unless you are a very unusually proportioned female, it should be what you need.

Dauphine 04-21-11 04:11 PM

I am actually looking at the 47cm TT, but that is very very good info to have. I never ever ever see the HD on Ebay, Craigslist, anywhere.

I Have a Bike 04-21-11 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misskaz (Post 12538671)
Aaaaah. Just called -- the bike shop has the Fuji in 43cm, just finished building it up today. I'm going to go test ride it after work. I will fall on my face; I am so scared to ride fixed, LOL.

It's just like riding a bike :P . The first time I rode fixed was borrowing my friend's bike (that I didn't know was fixed). I didn't fall.

Dauphine 04-21-11 04:26 PM

The first time I rode a fixed, it was a friends bike as well. No brakes on that thing, exhilarating though, and Chicago is perfect terrain for a fixie.

misskaz 04-21-11 07:47 PM

Feel bad posting this in a Kilo thread, so I'll just post one pic. Wheeeeee!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/...a132b46c57.jpg
Fuji by kazbo, on Flickr

yummygooey 04-21-11 07:52 PM

Whoa that's a tiny frame. Congrats! Don't be afraid to try fixed. It's quite fun!

Sebster 04-21-11 07:59 PM

sup grl

muckymucky 04-28-11 01:22 AM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5066/...5c6a49d0_o.jpg

finally~ the right fking chrome fork.

muckymucky 04-28-11 01:22 AM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/...1a793bcc_o.jpg

Scrodzilla 04-28-11 04:53 AM

Oof. The orange Aerospoke sucks on that bike.

chenghiz 04-28-11 07:59 AM

Uncut steerer, no bar tape, rear brake but no front~

The orange 'spoke would look a lot better if it was a chrome frame imo.

soyboy 04-28-11 08:04 AM

that is one ugly bike, good work(assuming that was your goal?)

cc700 04-28-11 08:15 AM

definitely needs a chrome aerospork.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericbot...in/photostream

my kilo's on the ground behind me. that was a sixty five mile day. the kilo was great, the arione was 'enough'

muckymucky 04-28-11 09:12 AM

nah still not done. The orange was supposed to be white soon and I didn't even sfgiants (orange) were world champions~ also still figuring out my steerer height needs. Just thought I'd share a progress shot. Complete picture soon.

sfreywagg 04-28-11 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc700 (Post 12567272)

Your friends like cut-offs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 AM.