Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-11, 07:17 PM   #1
calv
Painfully average.
Thread Starter
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today I:

I thought it's be good to have a "what did you do today" kind of thread like I see on DavisFixed. I searched, didn't see one, so here it is! (Mods plzzzz don't delete )

Today I just got back from Oakland to Davis for a midterm, and what normally takes a 1 hour drive, turned into a 3 and a half hour drive due to TWO accidents, and a backed up toll plaza due to the accidents. I happened to make it to my class 30 minutes late.

I get home to see a package from Niagara-- cool it's my seatpost. But I don't see my package from BikeWordUSA, which is supposed to be my silver Origin 8 headset. I check online and it said USPS delivered it last Thursday, when I was still home. So basically either something went terribly wrong with the delivery, or someone totally stole it!

Now I feel like complete ass because I can't ride my bike lol. I think I'm going to treat myself to some PB&J, and buy a new Chris King headset. And maybe some Wounded Knee knickers from Retrogression. blah.
calv is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:23 PM   #2
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,629
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
That's what you get for giving Origin 8 your money.

/thread.

(just kiddin' calv)
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:23 PM   #3
yummygooey
i smell bacon
 
yummygooey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't do anything today, but yesterday I went on a the first 20ish mile ride in awhile. It was the first weekend in a long, long time that I didn't have 1000000000000000 hours of homework to do. Felt good, bro.
yummygooey is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:28 PM   #4
calv
Painfully average.
Thread Starter
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
That's what you get for giving Origin 8 your money.

/thread.

(just kiddin' calv)
I blame the people who told me to get total **** or a CK.

So pretty much, I do get what I deserve for going the "total *****" route LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
I didn't do anything today, but yesterday I went on a the first 20ish mile ride in awhile. It was the first weekend in a long, long time that I didn't have 1000000000000000 hours of homework to do. Felt good, bro.
Sounds sick. I wanna get out on the road so baddddddd.
calv is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:30 PM   #5
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,629
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calv View Post
And maybe some Wounded Knee knickers from Retrogression. blah.
You'd better hurry. They're selling like hotcakes.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:42 PM   #6
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today I took out the SS MTB for the first mountain bike ride of the season. The trails were wet and very slippery, but not actually muddy. It was a blast, I have to get out more often.
FastJake is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:55 PM   #7
calv
Painfully average.
Thread Starter
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
You'd better hurry. They're selling like hotcakes.
They look so dope! But how I'm feeling about them is:

Y U NO COST FREE????


Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
Today I took out the SS MTB for the first mountain bike ride of the season. The trails were wet and very slippery, but not actually muddy. It was a blast, I have to get out more often.
I should convert my old Cannondale MTB into a SS and start hitting trails, looks crazy!
calv is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 07:58 PM   #8
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo
 
jdgesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: seattle, too many links
Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
today i rode 30m home in about 1h40m
insanely lovely this afternoon
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
crabon/campy/rapha/roadie-bro.

next step is recumbent.




my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
jdgesus is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:07 PM   #9
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,629
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Today I woke up at 5:30am, ate some chorizo & eggs and went for a long ride along the coast while the sun came up. Was tempted to jump into the ocean but my feet told me the water was only about 45 degrees so no dice. Swung by the shop where I occasionally work as a tech, got my hands dirty doing three tune ups and building two bikes. Went across the street and bought a roast beef sandwich. Ate said roast beef sandwich while thinking how much I ****ing love roast beef sandwiches. Didn't feel like riding home with a belly full of meat so I got on the train with my bike and got off two stops later near Retrogression HQ. Packed up a bunch of orders, answered a bunch of e-mails, made some calls and waited for the mail pickup. Shot the breeze with our mail guy Jim (I swear it's the same conversation every day). Packed up my computer and rode home (about 5 minutes). Drank a beer on my back porch. Came inside and took a nap with my cat Syd. Woke up when Angie got home, fired up the grill for dinner and made some awesome teriyaki chicken, corn on the cob and sweet potatoes.

As complicated as life can be sometimes, every now and then I have days that make me feel incredibly lucky to be alive.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:07 PM   #10
Sebster
Senior Member
 
Sebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got my r540s and a new cog (18t) in the mail
cleaned/lubed my chain, wiped down the frame, derotafixed the 15t cog on there, threw it on the freewheel side with a bb lockring, rotafixed the new 18t cog on the fixed side, threw the formula lockring on there - tried to see if the chain length would still work (key work try because my bb/crankset is off the bike, waiting for a new bb) = seriously 1 mm of space needed to get the chain off on the 18t side.

considering whether to go half link or a full link up, on the 15t side its already 50-60% out in the dropouts..
Sebster is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:07 PM   #11
sjmartin
Senior Member
 
sjmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I wished I didn't click on this thread.
sjmartin is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:12 PM   #12
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,629
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmartin View Post
Today I wished I didn't click on this thread.
But you still felt the need to comment.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:19 PM   #13
Sebster
Senior Member
 
Sebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
come on come on we're all squirrels here
Sebster is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:20 PM   #14
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmartin View Post
Today I wished I didn't click on this thread.
It's not required to open every thread or reply to every thread.

Today I got in two rides and discovered that I've changed some as a rider. This bloodclot thing has forced me to push an easier gear and I've benefited from it. I've gotten faster and much faster than before this all happened. Before I was fast, but in more spaced out efforts.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:21 PM   #15
calv
Painfully average.
Thread Starter
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
Today I woke up at 5:30am, ate some chorizo & eggs and went for a long ride along the coast while the sun came up. Was tempted to jump into the ocean but my feet told me the water was only about 45 degrees so no dice. Swung by the shop where I occasionally work as a tech, got my hands dirty doing three tune ups and building two bikes. Went across the street and bought a roast beef sandwich. Ate said roast beef sandwich while thinking how much I ****ing love roast beef sandwiches. Didn't feel like riding home with a belly full of meat so I got on the train with my bike and got off two stops later near Retrogression HQ. Packed up a bunch of orders, answered a bunch of e-mails, made some calls and waited for the mail pickup. Shot the breeze with our mail guy Jim (I swear it's the same conversation every day). Packed up my computer and rode home (about 5 minutes). Drank a beer on my back porch. Came inside and took a nap with my cat Syd. Woke up when Angie got home, fired up the grill for dinner and made some awesome teriyaki chicken, corn on the cob and sweet potatoes.

As complicated as life can be sometimes, every now and then I have days that make me feel incredibly lucky to be alive.
Dude, is this a movie? lmao AWESOME day. I think I'll order those knickers by tonight if I feel like it, still on the fence about spending more money when I got rent to pay, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
Got my r540s and a new cog (18t) in the mail
cleaned/lubed my chain, wiped down the frame, derotafixed the 15t cog on there, threw it on the freewheel side with a bb lockring, rotafixed the new 18t cog on the fixed side, threw the formula lockring on there - tried to see if the chain length would still work (key work try because my bb/crankset is off the bike, waiting for a new bb) = seriously 1 mm of space needed to get the chain off on the 18t side.

considering whether to go half link or a full link up, on the 15t side its already 50-60% out in the dropouts..
Good news dude, the Wheels Manufacturing chainwhip worked just fine. First use I took off a cog and put two on with it and didn't have any problems. No more rotafixing for you! ;p
calv is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:28 PM   #16
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,207
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Oakland
Having one episode of gangland about your back yard is bad, let alone 2!

Yea it happens, somebody walking by and seeing that package on the porch...
What part of oakland are you from?

Don't splurge on a king headset until you set up a P.O. Box; problem solved.
Leukybear is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:30 PM   #17
xavier853
.
 
xavier853's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus
Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did the morning commute to campus, and then the evening stroll back home.
xavier853 is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:34 PM   #18
Sebster
Senior Member
 
Sebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calv View Post
Dude, is this a movie? lmao AWESOME day. I think I'll order those knickers by tonight if I feel like it, still on the fence about spending more money when I got rent to pay, lol.

Good news dude, the Wheels Manufacturing chainwhip worked just fine. First use I took off a cog and put two on with it and didn't have any problems. No more rotafixing for you! ;p
grats man! i'll look into that, but for now i'm pretty broke
even more of a pain rotafixing on an actual track bb because it's shorter, less room for the chain to wrap around

advice guys? should i get a half link? is there some way to get the chain off when it's all the way back in the dropouts?
Sebster is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:43 PM   #19
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
grats man! i'll look into that, but for now i'm pretty broke
even more of a pain rotafixing on an actual track bb because it's shorter, less room for the chain to wrap around

advice guys? should i get a half link? is there some way to get the chain off when it's all the way back in the dropouts?
Remove the chainring bolts and carefully dislodge the chainring or if you are careful and have a chain breaker, break the chain.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:45 PM   #20
seventythree
Senior Member
 
seventythree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hangover from drinking swill last night.
still went to work.
freaked out the some dude lost his finger on a forklift last night. crazy!
big apple tires for my 29er finally arrived*
took the vassago jabberwocky to my not so LBS but the only LBS i trust.
evening ride on me Pashley Guv'nor tut tut.
beer,chicken and broc and cheese for supper.


*never again will i order from bikebling- a set of tires should not take a month
to process and ship. buncha CA flakes
seventythree is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 08:59 PM   #21
dookie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
today, i continued reading the local news about the NC tornado fallout and greatly appreciated the fact that my family and i were completely unaffected. 62 confirmed funnel touchdowns and 22 deaths in the state less than 48hrs ago. a friend's wife was in a home improvement store when the roof came off and the walls collapsed (she's fine). another friend just had his condo condemned. 5 of the deaths happened within riding distance of my house.

i want scrod's day.
(that said, i did grill some waygu beef and open a beautiful oak aged double ipa tonight...weather's gorgeous now.)

Last edited by dookie; 04-18-11 at 09:19 PM.
dookie is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 09:07 PM   #22
yummygooey
i smell bacon
 
yummygooey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yea, I pieced together the KHS Flite 100 today. I don't know why I have 3 steel bikes.
yummygooey is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 09:08 PM   #23
hamish5178
Senior Member
 
hamish5178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Picked up a guitar that was being repaired. Sold said guitar. Made mucho $$$$$.

Tomorrow will be new frame ordering day!
hamish5178 is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 09:19 PM   #24
calv
Painfully average.
Thread Starter
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
Oakland
Having one episode of gangland about your back yard is bad, let alone 2!

Yea it happens, somebody walking by and seeing that package on the porch...
What part of oakland are you from?

Don't splurge on a king headset until you set up a P.O. Box; problem solved.
Funny thing is, my package got jacked in my apartment complex in Davis, CA. Not from my actual house. From now on, I'd rather wait till the weekend and pick up my packages at my house then to have it delivered to Davis.

I live in East Oakland, right off of MacArthur.

And for the most part, if I can't find my package and I'm in need of a headset anyways .. I'll just swap it over to when I upgrade from my Kilo to maybe a Godzilla or something that has a 1" headtube haha.
calv is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 09:31 PM   #25
redpear
Senior Member
 
redpear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today the power was out in my part of town for about 5 hours. A couple of my classes were canceled, so all said and I done I hopped on my bike to kill the cold drizzle. I made it a point to maintain a relatively fast cadence throughout, as if following a musical flow. It tore me up after a few miles, but it was fun taking advantage of the confusion that a power outage can bring.

Also, a mild earthquake hit us, but I barely felt it.
redpear is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 PM.