Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-11, 11:13 AM   #1
cycling_blais
Student and avid cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BIKE STOLEN Looking for a NEW, COMPLETE Fixed Gear Set-up NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!!

So for the past 2 years I've been riding a convert fuji sagres fixed gear around the city of Boston. It has been my main form of transit all that time until easter sunday when I went out with my gf's parents for lunch and came back and it was STOLEN! My heart was broken but yet I was planning on getting a new bike soon just not under these circumstances.

I dont want another touring frame but instead would like to try something different like a track frame (or something similar)

Im thinking of spending somewhere between $300 and $400 on a COMPLETE fixed gear (because I have no time to build one like the Fuji)

A friend of mine suggested a surly steamroller but other than that I have no clue what I should look into. ANY SUGGESTIONS?! I'm dying to get back out there my legs are itching
cycling_blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 11:21 AM   #2
yummygooey
i smell bacon
 
yummygooey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mercier Kilo TT.
yummygooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 11:40 AM   #3
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood
 
avner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Echo Park, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
Mercier Kilo TT.
yeah, pretty much.
avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 11:45 AM   #4
calv
Painfully average.
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you'd like the Surly steamroller better than the Mercier Kilo TT. don't ask me why. yeah, it's like that. gumbo.
calv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 12:38 PM   #5
puppypilgrim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At that price point, Kilo TT.
puppypilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 12:44 PM   #6
yummygooey
i smell bacon
 
yummygooey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I essentially wait around on BFSSFG for people to ask "What sweet fixie should I get if my budget is $400?"
yummygooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 02:04 PM   #7
gilmatic
Gilmatic Cee Allah
 
gilmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BKNY
Bikes:
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Was your bike locked up? How? Let us learn from your mistakes.
gilmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 02:12 PM   #8
vw02
Senior Member
 
vw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are people completely blind to the stickied thread? the title should read, "If you're looking for the right 'fixie' to buy, read this, and don't make a ****ing thread until you've spend another 5hrs of your own time looking into things."
vw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 02:23 PM   #9
hamfoh 
hamcycles.com
 
hamfoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 3,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
who cares if it's a separate thread? there are threads dedicated to someone getting a new set of pedals. I don't see the harm in it, especially with so many sub forums
hamfoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 03:04 PM   #10
vw02
Senior Member
 
vw02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
because there's 2+ a day and they all ask the same thing w/o doing any research of their own. if they've done the research and are deciding between a few, than that's different. i'm not tooting my own horn in any way b/c i'm in no way an expert in everything fixed, but i try to do as much research as i can before asking here. you learn more that way as well
vw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 04:06 PM   #11
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,565
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Your friend says Steamroller but bfssfg (and your budget) says Kilo WT
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:02 PM   #12
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,763
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
Your friend says Steamroller but bfssfg (and your budget) says Kilo WT
This.

Guys, be good. The dude's bike just got stolen. He's looking to replace it with something quickly and trusts that we can help him pick a suitable bike. Yes, there are too many threads asking "what bike should I get?" but this one is a slightly different circumstance.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:46 PM   #13
OdieInAz
Senior Member
 
OdieInAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Marana, Az.
Bikes: 2014 Specialized HardRock Sport
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check it.
http://www.wabicycles.com/bike_main_pg2010.html
OdieInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:53 PM   #14
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,763
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycling_blais View Post
im thinking of spending somewhere between $300 and $400 on a complete fixed gear
..
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:56 PM   #15
trevayne
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: phillppines
Bikes: mountain bike
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
its not advisable to buy an expensive bike. if you are buying those bikes pls buy a big chain.before my bike was expensive it cost more than 300 dollars. now you know how much 100 dollars.hahaha
trevayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:58 PM   #16
docboyd
Senior Member
 
docboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Riverside/Temecula, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seriously tho just buy a kilo...you will be happy
docboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:59 PM   #17
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,763
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docboyd View Post
seriously tho just buy a kilo...you will be happy
I agree.
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 06:23 PM   #18
FTWdave
Senior Member
 
FTWdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: VA beach VA
Bikes: 1976 Raleigh sprite converted to fixed gear, and a 1969 schwinn twinn deluxe, a 1985 Panasonic fixed gear conversion, unknown track frame.
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevayne View Post
its not advisable to buy an expensive bike. if you are buying those bikes pls buy a big chain.before my bike was expensive it cost more than 300 dollars. now you know how much 100 dollars.hahaha
WHAT THE **** DOES THIS MEAN? srsly

Also keep checking your local CL, that's probably what I would do in your situation.
FTWdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 06:29 PM   #19
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 26,763
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 09:07 PM   #20
c_mack9
Senior Member
 
c_mack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Paducah KY
Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw02 View Post
are people completely blind to the stickied thread? the title should read, "If you're looking for the right 'fixie' to buy, read this, and don't make a ****ing thread until you've spend another 5hrs of your own time looking into things."
what should be stickied is "buy a kilo, then youre allowed to ask questions" theres a million of these threads because thats yalls only answer. how about some of the reasons? why is the kilo better than everything else in that price range? is it because its whats cool on BF?
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 09:15 PM   #21
FlatSix911
Senior Member
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Altos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
Mercier Kilo TT.
The Answer is a Special Edition Kilo TT ...

Custom Fixed Gear 2011 Mercier Kilo TT Custom Paint+Chrome $399
Flip-Flop Rear Hub, Run Fixed/Freewheel & Mount your own rack + fenders
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...rome_paint.htm
FlatSix911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 09:15 PM   #22
misskaz
sqrl
 
misskaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Bikes: bieks
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
what should be stickied is "buy a kilo, then youre allowed to ask questions" theres a million of these threads because thats yalls only answer. how about some of the reasons? why is the kilo better than everything else in that price range? is it because its whats cool on BF?
I disagree that it's the only answer you get on bfssfg. Just the other day I posted in a kilo thread abut my specific situation and the consensus was NOT to get the kilo. I think kilo is just the default answer when the poster offers no information other than "new" "complete" and "cheap" and occasionally "looks cool".

Frankly, also, there are not too many decent bikes in the price ranges a lot of these posters say they are willing to pay. If you have other ideas, feel free to offer them up!
misskaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:41 AM   #23
c_mack9
Senior Member
 
c_mack9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Paducah KY
Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro
Posts: 754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskaz View Post
I disagree that it's the only answer you get on bfssfg. Just the other day I posted in a kilo thread abut my specific situation and the consensus was NOT to get the kilo. I think kilo is just the default answer when the poster offers no information other than "new" "complete" and "cheap" and occasionally "looks cool".

Frankly, also, there are not too many decent bikes in the price ranges a lot of these posters say they are willing to pay. If you have other ideas, feel free to offer them up!
i dont have any ideas to offer up because im like the OP and looking for a single speed i always check out these threads so i dont have to make my own.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 08:35 AM   #24
yummygooey
i smell bacon
 
yummygooey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3
Posts: 5,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
what should be stickied is "buy a kilo, then youre allowed to ask questions" theres a million of these threads because thats yalls only answer. how about some of the reasons? why is the kilo better than everything else in that price range? is it because its whats cool on BF?
Do a search. The fact that a new Kilo thread had to be made because the other Kilo thread was too long should be a testament to how solid this bike is. Or better yet, find us something new that is in fact better in the sub $400 price range and we'll start repping that instead. The Kilo frame is excellent for the money, and the componentry, while pretty standard, is pretty alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskaz View Post
I disagree that it's the only answer you get on bfssfg. Just the other day I posted in a kilo thread abut my specific situation and the consensus was NOT to get the kilo.
That's because you had enough sense to actually tell us somewhat of what you were looking for, and you had obviously done your research because you came to us asking us our opinion on a couple different models. With no further knowledge of the OP, the Kilo is the default answer because it's widely regarded as the best new bike for under $400. I suppose we could ask the OP for more details, but that would be too easy wouldn't it?
yummygooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 09:13 AM   #25
misskaz
sqrl
 
misskaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Bikes: bieks
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
That's because you had enough sense to actually tell us somewhat of what you were looking for, and you had obviously done your research because you came to us asking us our opinion on a couple different models. With no further knowledge of the OP, the Kilo is the default answer because it's widely regarded as the best new bike for under $400. I suppose we could ask the OP for more details, but that would be too easy wouldn't it?
Maybe the hypothetical stickied thread should be less "get a Kilo" and more
"Here are the things you should think about before asking us what ss/fg to get:
1. What type of riding (distance, surface, how often, for what purpose) you plan to do.
2. If you have any other bike experience and if so, what you currently ride
3. Your height and/or what size frame you are looking for
4. What models you have looked at so far and what you like/don't like about them
5. Anything specific to your situation (fit, special needs, restrictions, preferences, complete vs frame only, etc.)
6. Your budget
Tell us these things and we will help you find a bike. Don't tell us these things and we'll tell you to get a Kilo TT.

Use your words. There isn't a character limit here; while you don't have to write a novel, the more you tell us about yourself and what you're looking for, the better we can help you."

Of course I think no one reads the stickys so it probably doesn't matter.
misskaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 AM.