Recently I and several other BF members bought some cheap Vilano framesets on eBay and built them up using mostly existing used parts for a total cost less than $100. The intent was to build something for beater use or that might be exposed to the risk of theft. So I thought it would be fun to see how many of you have done something similar. There are a lot of threads with people bragging about how much money they've managed to blow creating the ultimate show bike, but none that expound on the virtues of frugality. The rules for inclusion in this thread are as follows:
1) The total cost must be less than $100. You must include any shipping fees or sales taxes and include any existing stock of new parts purchased within the last year.
2) You must do all the work yourself. It's ok to do some of the work at a coop or bike kitchen or even an lbs that lets you use their tools, but the labor must be 100% yours.
3) It must be an actual build rather than just a cheap buy on CL or whatnot.
4) You cannot share parts with another fully functional and compete bike, however, it's ok to use parts from another incomplete bike or which are takeoffs from bikes which have been modified or upgraded with different parts.
5) Extra credit for home made parts.
So here's my entry. Total cost = $63.95, which includes the shipped cost of the frameset with headset, BB and seatpost with frame clamp, plus $10 for existing stock new bar tape bought less than a year ago.