Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-13, 11:52 AM   #2576
solipsist716
Magnets, how do they work
 
solipsist716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buffalo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You might wanna buy a truing stand, too.
solipsist716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:19 PM   #2577
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle; Evil Insurgent
Posts: 12,180
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Actually they're quite strong wheels considering the lack of spokes in campy's offerings but 12 is pushing it. If I remember correctly the HPW 12's were most commonly/ logically used by people as race day wheels in their prime before the carbon age.
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 05:18 PM   #2578
bro
Senior Member
 
bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: rolo tony brown town
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, i'm very seriously considering riding my bike to work, about ten miles away, with some average hills. gonna be using a 19lb fixed gear bike with 73.9 gear inches. plus a bag on the handlebars containing a folding foot pump, tubes, tire levers, axle nut wrench, water bottles. thinking about wearing a wool jersey and wool shorts with a leather chamois, gloves, cap, sunglasses, and cycling shoes with the stiff soles and perforated leather. trying to figure out where im going to put my work boots/socks/shirt/shorts/hat/safety glasses/gloves/water/lunch, thinking just a backpack but i feel like that would be ****ty. going to be using a fake san marco concor saddle. gonna clip a mirror to my sunglasses and use a front and rear light.

wondering if i should just skip the wool/chamois shorts and go for some lycra ones with a padded crotch? or could i wear the lycra padded guys under the wool ones and not be too hot in the summer? i dont want my junk to be super accentuated anyway.

thinking i want a rear bag, but i dont have room for fenders or rack mounting holes, are there any ways to mount a bag on the seatpost somehow? maybe using something coming out of the rear brake mount for some kind of support instead of a fender? any quick-releasing/velcro/anything other than something that requires tools? and then where do i put my taillight? i really dont want to wear a backpack... and theres a bike i keep at work too just for riding from greenhouse to greenhouse and i want to be able to take the bag of my road bike and pop it on the coaster brake one for work. actually if i can find some quick release fenders it could make my bag choices easier. has to be big enough to fit size 8-9 work boots, shorts, t-shirt, socks, underwear, safety glasses, ball cap, gardening gloves, and a couple sandwiches.

whats ten miles like on a fixed gear in 85 degree weather? any suggestions? anything else i should have in case something happens? anything about the rear bag or how to stay comfortable? thankssssssssssssssss


*also posted in the commuter forum

Last edited by bro; 02-23-13 at 05:54 PM.
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 05:43 PM   #2579
solipsist716
Magnets, how do they work
 
solipsist716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Buffalo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro View Post
whats ten miles like on a fixed gear in 85 degree weather? any suggestions? anything else i should have in case something happens? anything about the rear bag or how to stay comfortable? thankssssssssssssssss
Dude it's ten miles.

HTFU.

Find what's comfortable. It's 85 degrees out. Don't put on wool and lycra.
solipsist716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 05:54 PM   #2580
Muffin Man
:)
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod, Trek Boone, Trek Fuel EX
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Black saddle and tape on the leader?
Muffin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 05:56 PM   #2581
Scrodzilla
There goes Tokyo
 
Scrodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: EAI Bare Knuckle, 1975 Raleigh Pro Track
Posts: 25,344
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
^ What's up with your sig?
__________________
Scrodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 06:02 PM   #2582
bro
Senior Member
 
bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: rolo tony brown town
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hmmm yeah. would the first saddle be more comfortable than the second saddle?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gyes-GS-06H-...item336b03506d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Road-Bik...item43ae65f00c

i rode around for hours the other day in slacks and boxers on the second saddle and my ass kind of hurt, couldve started to get real chafey too. it was probably like 20 miles total with stops in between for beer and food and stuff. i can only imagine in the heat this could get bad. gonna use goldbond powder and stuff. main concern is forgetting some vital tool or something, or my ass getting sore and chafed.
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 06:07 PM   #2583
SSbalt
Senior Member
 
SSbalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baltimore MD
Bikes:
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro View Post
so, i'm very seriously considering riding my bike to work, about ten miles away, with some average hills. gonna be using a 19lb fixed gear bike with 73.9 gear inches. plus a bag on the handlebars containing a folding foot pump, tubes, tire levers, axle nut wrench, water bottles. thinking about wearing a wool jersey and wool shorts with a leather chamois, gloves, cap, sunglasses, and cycling shoes with the stiff soles and perforated leather. trying to figure out where im going to put my work boots/socks/shirt/shorts/hat/safety glasses/gloves/water/lunch, thinking just a backpack but i feel like that would be ****ty. going to be using a fake san marco concor saddle. gonna clip a mirror to my sunglasses and use a front and rear light.

wondering if i should just skip the wool/chamois shorts and go for some lycra ones with a padded crotch? or could i wear the lycra padded guys under the wool ones and not be too hot in the summer? i dont want my junk to be super accentuated anyway.

thinking i want a rear bag, but i dont have room for fenders or rack mounting holes, are there any ways to mount a bag on the seatpost somehow? maybe using something coming out of the rear brake mount for some kind of support instead of a fender? any quick-releasing/velcro/anything other than something that requires tools? and then where do i put my taillight? i really dont want to wear a backpack... and theres a bike i keep at work too just for riding from greenhouse to greenhouse and i want to be able to take the bag of my road bike and pop it on the coaster brake one for work.

whats ten miles like on a fixed gear in 85 degree weather? any suggestions? anything else i should have in case something happens? anything about the rear bag or how to stay comfortable? thankssssssssssssssss


*also posted in the commuter forum
10 miles in 85 degrees isn't bad at all if you're fit. However as someone who commuted to work for a time when it was possible - make sure you have a plan B or an understanding boss because as the saying goes "**** happens"(waking up late, flat tire, inclement weather, **** falling off your bike, etc).

It's awesome to do and I miss having the opportunity but don't go selling your car until you've done it for a year+
SSbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 06:09 PM   #2584
Muffin Man
:)
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod, Trek Boone, Trek Fuel EX
Posts: 3,307
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
^ What's up with your sig?
The pic used to be a link to my pedalroom, and now I don't think it works anymore. I actually haven't noticed it till now.
Muffin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 06:14 PM   #2585
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Bikes:
Posts: 8,645
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
10 miles aint **** man. I choose to do 12 miles instead of 5 because i want to ride more.

Im also riding in 25 degree weather with 30 mph winds and carrying 40 pounds of crap in my bag

Id kill for 85 degrees and no wind right now

do not use powder. If your taint really bothers you get some chamois and some bag balm
Mumonkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 06:25 PM   #2586
bro
Senior Member
 
bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: rolo tony brown town
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbalt View Post
10 miles in 85 degrees isn't bad at all if you're fit. However as someone who commuted to work for a time when it was possible - make sure you have a plan B or an understanding boss because as the saying goes "**** happens"(waking up late, flat tire, inclement weather, **** falling off your bike, etc).

It's awesome to do and I miss having the opportunity but don't go selling your car until you've done it for a year+
im smallish and pretty fit. yeah i start at 7:30 and i was gonna leave at 6... not sure if thatd be enough extra time for replacing a tube or whatever. hah i dont own a car anyways. heres the route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...&z=12&lci=bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
10 miles aint **** man. I choose to do 12 miles instead of 5 because i want to ride more.

Im also riding in 25 degree weather with 30 mph winds and carrying 40 pounds of crap in my bag

Id kill for 85 degrees and no wind right now

do not use powder. If your taint really bothers you get some chamois and some bag balm
word, i ride in zero degree weather with a heavy-ass backpack a lot in super winds. its gnarly.

so if i get the non-padded real goatskin leather chamois/merino wool shorts + some bag balm or whatever else is recommended then the padded/non-padded factor doesnt really matter? is it more about the friction or what? i still feel like i'd need some padding, but i want a cheap black classic saddle

Last edited by bro; 02-23-13 at 06:28 PM.
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 08:32 PM   #2587
jared1988
Ride more
 
jared1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Bikes: 2013 State Midas, 1988 Raliegh Technium
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro View Post
thinking i want a rear bag, but i dont have room for fenders or rack mounting holes, are there any ways to mount a bag on the seatpost somehow? maybe using something coming out of the rear brake mount for some kind of support instead of a fender? any quick-releasing/velcro/anything other than something that requires tools? and then where do i put my taillight? i really dont want to wear a backpack... and theres a bike i keep at work too just for riding from greenhouse to greenhouse and i want to be able to take the bag of my road bike and pop it on the coaster brake one for work. actually if i can find some quick release fenders it could make my bag choices easier. has to be big enough to fit size 8-9 work boots, shorts, t-shirt, socks, underwear, safety glasses, ball cap, gardening gloves, and a couple sandwiches.
Topeak makes a QR seat post rack that can hold 20lbs. It even has specific bags that clip into it and add in side frames for panniers, and a clip on fender.

http://topeak.com/products/Racks

I have the MTX v-type and ride 5 days a week, 6 miles round trip. I didn't get their specific bag, just got some bungee cords and strap my backpack to it (I leave my uniform and boots at work usually but I haul it occasionally). I have it on during the week, for when I go on post office runs, and then just pop it off for weekend rides. Pics in my pedalroom

The only thing I've noticed is my inner thighs rub the clamping mechanism. It doesn't rub bad or chafe, it's just something I noticed, and eventually I forget about it.
jared1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 09:19 PM   #2588
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Bikes:
Posts: 8,645
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
10 miles shouldnt be a problem in street clothes, i did 70 miles last year in street clothes
Mumonkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 09:38 PM   #2589
bro
Senior Member
 
bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: rolo tony brown town
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1988 View Post
Topeak makes a QR seat post rack that can hold 20lbs. It even has specific bags that clip into it and add in side frames for panniers, and a clip on fender.

http://topeak.com/products/Racks

I have the MTX v-type and ride 5 days a week, 6 miles round trip. I didn't get their specific bag, just got some bungee cords and strap my backpack to it (I leave my uniform and boots at work usually but I haul it occasionally). I have it on during the week, for when I go on post office runs, and then just pop it off for weekend rides. Pics in my pedalroom

The only thing I've noticed is my inner thighs rub the clamping mechanism. It doesn't rub bad or chafe, it's just something I noticed, and eventually I forget about it.
sweeeeeet thanks. and they have the led light mount. does it work good as an accidental fender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
10 miles shouldnt be a problem in street clothes, i did 70 miles last year in street clothes
awesome. yeah im just sort of new to riding longer distances. started riding bikes a lot last spring, when i bought an '81 schwinn collegiate to use at work, then i found a tan huffy saraha 3 speed, and left that at work and took the schwinn home. when i got off work in like july i was drinking a lot and using my schwinn to get around all over the city, and my friend bought a huffy express and we were riding to all the parties together. than a few months ago i bought a schwinn world tourist with the intention of building a coaster brake racer like the ones at the end of breaking away. then i saw a ron kitching full 531 frame in my size on ebay and bought it for $200. its on its way out of missouri right now. gonna build it up as a fixed gear with very 60s/70s road bike styling, white cloth tape, 52t ring, gumwalls. the world tourist is getting nitto rb-021s and rat trap pedals and staying at the greenhouse, and i want to use the ron kit as my commuter, but i want all the commutey stuff to be easily removed for when i just ride around town.


so i guess all my questions are answered sort of! thanks guys! unless someone has some advice, i'm ready to take it!

Last edited by bro; 02-23-13 at 09:51 PM.
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 10:16 PM   #2590
jared1988
Ride more
 
jared1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Bikes: 2013 State Midas, 1988 Raliegh Technium
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro View Post
sweeeeeet thanks. and they have the led light mount. does it work good as an accidental fender?
Maybe as an emergency fender. I haven't taken it through the rain yet, but I have been out after with the ground slightly wet and noticed the underside was muddy.
jared1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 09:35 AM   #2591
jpsawyer
Senior Member
 
jpsawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Providence, RI
Bikes: Civilian Le Roi Le Veut, Kazane Track, Ciocc Designer '84, Serotta Colorado AL 25th anniversary, '85 Guerciotti Pista, '84 Trek 660, Volume Credence
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...g&CategoryID=4
Both the Pika and Visacha bags seem awesome. I have never used one but I have only heard good things about them and they feel very sturdy and amazing.
But 10 miles in 85 degree weather? That is not bad at all. Not even very far. I used to deliver Chinese food in Rio by bicycle in 40C weather. Dont think too much about it and you will be fine. You are making it too complicated.
jpsawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-13, 10:48 AM   #2592
hairnet
Fresh Garbage
 
hairnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 12,551
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I go 10 miles each way to work with headwinds and it isnt bad, actually I think that distance is just right. Just do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro View Post
so if i get the non-padded real goatskin leather chamois/merino wool shorts + some bag balm or whatever else is recommended then the padded/non-padded factor doesnt really matter? is it more about the friction or what? i still feel like i'd need some padding, but i want a cheap black classic saddle
Who even makes real chamois and merino shorts? You will know what you actually need once you do the commute a few times.

Last edited by hairnet; 02-24-13 at 10:51 AM.
hairnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 10:59 PM   #2593
jared1988
Ride more
 
jared1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Bikes: 2013 State Midas, 1988 Raliegh Technium
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a multi-tool, my LBS has; Park IB-3, Lezyne CRV20, Lezyne Rap13, Topeak Hexus II

Should I get one of those, if so which one? Or should I get a different one online?

Last edited by jared1988; 02-25-13 at 11:05 PM.
jared1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 11:30 PM   #2594
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1988 View Post
Looking for a multi-tool, my LBS has; Park IB-3, Lezyne CRV20, Lezyne Rap13, Topeak Hexus II

Should I get one of those, if so which one? Or should I get a different one online?
Recently had to make the same decision and am really digging my Crank Brothers Multi 19.

They can be had on Amazon for real cheap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 11:46 PM   #2595
jared1988
Ride more
 
jared1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Bikes: 2013 State Midas, 1988 Raliegh Technium
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
Recently had to make the same decision and am really digging my Crank Brothers Multi 19.

They can be had on Amazon for real cheap.
I saw that you got that in another thread (uh, what a stalker, right?) and that's what my "different one" was pointing to. I see people try to support their LBS as much as possible, so I wanted to see if those were decent to buy locally.

Have you used the chain tool yet? I don't have a chain tool yet and I wanted to make sure I didn't get a crappy one
jared1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 11:51 PM   #2596
Nagrom_ 
SaltKing
 
Nagrom_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rock Bottom.
Bikes: CAAD Optimo Track
Posts: 10,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1988 View Post
I saw that you got that in another thread (uh, what a stalker, right?) and that's what my "different one" was pointing to. I see people try to support their LBS as much as possible, so I wanted to see if those were decent to buy locally.

Have you used the chain tool yet? I don't have a chain tool yet and I wanted to make sure I didn't get a crappy one
I used the chain tool once just to see if it worked decently. It does, but I wouldn't want to use it constantly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
No offense but you're an idiot.
PedalRoom
Nagrom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 03:48 AM   #2597
bwilli88
Senior Member
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have too much in Lancaster, PA
Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 76 Raleigh Grand Prix dingle speed, 77 & 78 Raleigh Supercourse.
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Is it better to have a large front gear with a bigger rear than to have the same ratio but with smaller gears? E.g. 53/13 = 4.08/1 or 44/11 = 4/1
Should I.... buy this and change the funky handlebars to some mtb flat bars and swap the seat for something useful and maybe get a smaller rear gear. It is an old Schwinn frame that has been powdercoated.

listed @ $100


bwilli88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 03:50 AM   #2598
TheRealFaux
Senior Member
 
TheRealFaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no.
TheRealFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 04:52 AM   #2599
calv
Painfully average.
 
calv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oakland/Davis, CA
Bikes: all city mr pink
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFaux View Post
no.
+1
calv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 06:57 AM   #2600
bwilli88
Senior Member
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kampong Cham, Cambodia but I have too much in Lancaster, PA
Bikes: Bikes in USA; 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix SS, 76 Raleigh Grand Prix dingle speed, 77 & 78 Raleigh Supercourse.
Posts: 818
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFaux View Post
no.
No, not buy or No, not change.
bwilli88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.