So, last month I purchased and received a Motobecane Track bike from BikesDirect. I needed a cheap introduction to fixed gear bikes and I feel like the Motobecane has done me well. I've ridden it basically every day and had minimal issues with it:
- -Lockring was loose for a good while. I had to take it to my LBS to get things tightened up. Things have only gone well since then, though.
- -Chain line is NOT straight. I feel like this is actually a big problem for me, as what I really like about fixed gear bikes is their simplicity and efficiency. It's bothering my OCD that the chain line isn't aligned. I've moved the washers and spacers to get it as close as I can, but it's 1) still not perfect 2) made the wheel shift to the left... Not helping me OCD either.
- -I had to true it within a few weeks. It was extremely wobbly within a few days/weeks of riding it, but a quick true made it good enough to ride. It's... not perfect, but the margin of error is minimal and I haven't had the time to perfect the wheel yet.
- -One of the straps broke, but I just fixed it by clipping in the broken part... Regardless, I bought new pedals, clips, and straps. Mostly because I felt like it would be a nice upgrade.
Regardless, it's still been a really great bike to me. My buddies and I drove our bikes down to San Francisco and mashed around those hills and just rode around all day and my bike was able to handle everything for the most part. I haven't replaced my tires yet, despite playing around with long skids and bar skids pretty often (though I just ordered new tires.)
I also really like the look and geometry of the frame thus far. It's treated me well and I'm happy with the bike. I have a few questions to put out there though:
- What can I do about the chain line? I don't like having the hub uncentered. Should I just put it back and have 4-5MM off? (It's like 1-2 MM off right now.)
- What are important things to upgrade and in what order?
- If I like these track geometry frames, which frames would be a good idea to eventually upgrade to? I was thinking about eventually getting an NJS frame, but that's years from now. [: What are good stepping stones into the track frame world?
Sorry for all of the questions and the long post, but I figured I should make my first post count for what it's worth and get as much help in one go as I can. Thank you in advance and have a great day!