Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-11, 11:23 AM   #1
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a new FG/SS

What's going on. I have narrowed my choices down to three entry FGs. I have to order the bike on line because there are only 2 LBSs here (Key West, Fl) and their markups are ridiculous (they want $800 for a Bianchi Via Brera Pista). So my choices are a Kilo tt pro, Kilo wt, or 2011 SE Lager. Which one would you pick? I know will have to upgrade parts on all of them (stem, bars, saddle, peddles) and upgrade the other parts as they wear out. It would be nice to hear opinions from people who actually own the three potential bikes. Thanks for any help. Be gentle this is my first post
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 11:45 AM   #2
motobeCarnage 
rue the whirl
 
motobeCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get the bianchi

no one's really discussed any of those other bikes here before.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i prefer anal beads
motobeCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 11:48 AM   #3
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forget to mention that my budget is around $500.
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:06 PM   #4
motobeCarnage 
rue the whirl
 
motobeCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's ok. I was being an ass. The kilo is discussed so much and threads are started with questions about the bike so often that it has become a bit of a joke. For the money buy the kilo and forget about the SE. If you plan on upgrading most if not all of the components I'd say save the ~$90 and go with the regular tt or a stripper and not the pro.

There are even two threads devoted to the kilo. One was closed at the end of last year because it was enormous and the other one is almost always on the front page.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i prefer anal beads
motobeCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:14 PM   #5
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobeCarnage View Post
It's ok. I was being an ass. The kilo is discussed so much and threads are started with questions about the bike so often that it has become a bit of a joke. For the money buy the kilo and forget about the SE. If you plan on upgrading most if not all of the components I'd say save the ~$90 and go with the regular tt or a stripper and not the pro.

There are even two threads devoted to the kilo. One was closed at the end of last year because it was enormous and the other one is almost always on the front page.
Thanks. I kinda noticed the enormous kilo tt archive...enormous. I was leaning towards the the SE to be a rebel I guess. I know that the kilo is a good starter FG but I don't want be a lemming, you know what I mean.
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:22 PM   #6
motobeCarnage 
rue the whirl
 
motobeCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when it comes to making good decisions you won't regret then popular usually isn't a bad route to take. Just saying
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i prefer anal beads
motobeCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:26 PM   #7
toosahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get a steamroller complete for just about $75 more. i think speedgoat has 'em on sale
toosahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:31 PM   #8
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Touché... However, the road of conformity/popularity leads you no where because everyone else is already there...
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:34 PM   #9
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosahn View Post
get a steamroller complete for just about $75 more. i think speedgoat has 'em on sale
They don't have em in my size. I'm 6'4 with a 35.5-36 inseam
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:41 PM   #10
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,264
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by semfifty View Post
They don't have em in my size. I'm 6'4 with a 35.5-36 inseam
In that case, I'd suggest this:

__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:48 PM   #11
motobeCarnage 
rue the whirl
 
motobeCarnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're just talking about making a financial decision. And it's not like the SE is at the end of some non-conformist road less traveled by
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i prefer anal beads
motobeCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:49 PM   #12
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
In that case, I'd suggest this:

Thanks, I like em stacked. The air is much cleaner up there.
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 12:59 PM   #13
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobeCarnage View Post
we're just talking about making a financial decision. And it's not like the SE is at the end of some non-conformist road less traveled by
That may be the case but I would gladly take the road less traveled, which based off of my research is the SE.
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:07 PM   #14
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the...eh...help
I'm going with the SE. It is an entry FG after all.
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:07 PM   #15
Leukybear
THE STUFFED
 
Leukybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo, CA
Bikes: Sworks Venge; Rock Lobster; EAI Bareknuckle
Posts: 12,207
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Kilo wt!
__________________
¿pɐǝɹ oʇ sᴉ sᴉɥʇ ƃuᴉʎouuɐ ʍoɥ ǝǝs

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Leukybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:12 PM   #16
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood
 
avner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Echo Park, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do tall bikes never have brakes? If I were building one I'd use disc brakes :/
avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:15 PM   #17
toosahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just go to craigslist then. I mean, I'm selling my 62cm IRO Mark V for well under your budget on craigslist right now.
toosahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:27 PM   #18
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosahn View Post
Just go to craigslist then. I mean, I'm selling my 62cm IRO Mark V for well under your budget on craigslist right now.
I have checked Craigslist and not a single a fg/ss. I live in Key West, FL and the closest major metropolitan area that gets anything in my size is Miami (3 1/2 hours away)
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:28 PM   #19
FlatSix911
Senior Member
 
FlatSix911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Altos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by semfifty View Post
Thanks. I kinda noticed the enormous kilo tt archive...enormous. I was leaning towards the the SE to be a rebel I guess. I know that the kilo is a good starter FG but I don't want be a lemming, you know what I mean.
If you want to follow the herd, get the Kilo TT.
I want something different, so I got the SE Lager ...
Tons of compliments on a special bike and less than $399 on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRACK-BIKE-700C-...item20ba8a3fa8

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lager-black-900px.jpg (82.5 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by FlatSix911; 07-11-11 at 09:55 PM.
FlatSix911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:46 PM   #20
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by semfifty View Post
What's going on. I have narrowed my choices down to three entry FGs. I have to order the bike on line because there are only 2 LBSs here (Key West, Fl) and their markups are ridiculous (they want $800 for a Bianchi Via Brera Pista).
I dont know where you got the idea of that being a mark up, but the MSRP on a Via Brera is $830.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 02:12 PM   #21
semfifty
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
I dont know where you got the idea of that being a mark up, but the MSRP on a Via Brera is $830.
$699 from here: http://store.citygrounds.com/store/p...teel-Complete/
semfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 02:14 PM   #22
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesnt make your store have a mark up, just that citygrounds has a deal.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 02:31 PM   #23
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Bikes: 29 frames + 73 wheels
Posts: 10,264
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
How about this ?

__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 03:22 PM   #24
toosahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by semfifty View Post
I have checked Craigslist and not a single a fg/ss. I live in Key West, FL and the closest major metropolitan area that gets anything in my size is Miami (3 1/2 hours away)
I can understand that. Then there is still ebay which is pretty safe now with their buyer protections.

I've been buying and selling bike stuff for only about a year, but I can tell you that it is almost always better to get durable components second hand (i.e., crankset, frame, wheelset, handlebars, stem, seatpost) and let the seller eat the depreciation. You get much better stuff for your budget that way.

I mean, unless you somehow don't get obsessed with your bike and have a weekly urge to tinker and improve it...
toosahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 03:27 PM   #25
vw addict
Senior Member
 
vw addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
How about this ?

think I'm in love






not.
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.