Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/)
-   -   Ask Scrod (http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/769181-ask-scrod.html)

BPx 04-12-14 03:11 AM

Hey Scrod, thought I'd shoot you a question seeing how you own a 725. (I checked your build on PR and I must say it's a sweet ride)

I'm still deciding on the frame size for the leader 725. I will ultimately go to my LBS (sometime next week) that deals with Leader bikes to get test fitted and get professional help in choosing the optimal size. Figured I could use a few suggestions here and there before heading into the shop.

I'm 6' with an inseam of 32.5"-33" and I was debating between the 55cm and the 58cm frame. I've already contacted Leader regarding this issue and the representative recommended the 55cm. Could you provide a bit of insight on this? I'm looking to using this bike strictly for commuting/recreational purposes. I don't want to get too cramped with my legs after riding 10+ miles. I apologize for what might be another repetitive question! N00bs gotta start somewhere :P

Thanks in advanced!

Scrodzilla 04-12-14 09:06 AM

Considering that top tube length is the most important measurement she choosing a bike frame, basing your decision on your inseam is like basing it on the color of your eyes. Without knowing how long your torso and arms are, it's impossible for me to even make a recommendation.

You're most likely going to be somewhere in between sizes and you'll need to decide which one you'd like to make work.

himespau 04-12-14 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16663097)
36h are not currently available from US distributors.

That's a bummer as I'd been wanting a pair of archetypes in 36h as well, but hadn't been anxious to pay the shipping from Taiwan. I guess I'll just go with my backup of the Kinlin XC 279 unless there's a good reason not to use them.

BPx 04-12-14 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16664340)
Considering that top tube length is the most important measurement she choosing a bike frame, basing your decision on your inseam is like basing it on the color of your eyes. Without knowing how long your torso and arms are, it's impossible for me to even make a recommendation.

You're most likely going to be somewhere in between sizes and you'll need to decide which one you'd like to make work.

Gotcha, I'll definitely have to go to my LBS to get fitted then. I hope to bother you with more questions in the future! ;)

Nagrom_ 04-12-14 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 16664501)
That's a bummer as I'd been wanting a pair of archetypes in 36h as well, but hadn't been anxious to pay the shipping from Taiwan. I guess I'll just go with my backup of the Kinlin XC 279 unless there's a good reason not to use them.

Mine are amazing.

murrellington 04-12-14 04:01 PM

Thanks again for taking the time to let me interview you today Scrod! Was very helpful and interesting. Your store is fairly small but it's so comfy and i loved it!

One question, maybe I can find it on the site but I'm already typing this out. IF I bought some bullhorns and tape from your shop, how much do you charge to wrap them? I'm terrible at it.

nelsonfung21 04-13-14 01:15 AM

Scrod what will be the most possible case if I ride only with my left leg, it clicks when I back pedal or first accelerate, while riding with right leg doesn't ?

Scrodzilla 04-13-14 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrellington (Post 16665054)
Thanks again for taking the time to let me interview you today Scrod! Was very helpful and interesting. Your store is fairly small but it's so comfy and i loved it!

No problem!

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrellington (Post 16665054)
question, maybe I can find it on the site but I'm already typing this out. IF I bought some bullhorns and tape from your shop, how much do you charge to wrap them? I'm terrible at it.

I'll provide my bar-taping mastery for $15.

Scrodzilla 04-13-14 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelsonfung21 (Post 16665912)
Scrod what will be the most possible case if I ride only with my left leg, it clicks when I back pedal or first accelerate, while riding with right leg doesn't ?

There is no possible way to diagnose this over the internet. Maybe your left leg is clicking and you should see a doctor.

greenteei89 04-13-14 08:24 PM

I have been building up a single speed cinelli and I somehow cannot get it right. I have a new surly cog, chain, chainring, and singleator. Somehow I am still getting chain skip. I initially thought it was the old chainring so I replaced that but for some reason I still get it. Do you think its maybe the carbon cranks are to flexy? I am running out of trouble shooting ideas. Thanks in advance for any info.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pscuaigwrl.jpg

ddeadserious 04-14-14 11:40 AM

Scrod, I've got two questions.

What are your thoughts on dry lube? I'm considering using it on my Nature Boy since the chain is super clean and unlubed right now. I usually use liquid ProGold ProLink but it always ends up black and messy after I put any number of miles on it.

Also, I see the only freewheel you sell is the Shimano MX30. I'm finding a lot of negative reviews on that model - what has your experience been with it? Any other recommendations?

IAmSam 04-14-14 12:11 PM

Man, would I like to give my answer to ddeadserious's dry lube question but /not Scrod/ so...


Have you ridden your new bike enough, or had 25c Vittoria Open Corsas previously, that you can "review" them?

Am on my 2nd set of 23c Veloflex Masters here, and do love them, but it is getting close to new tires time and can't help wondering if the grass is greener...

Scrodzilla 04-14-14 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddeadserious (Post 16669928)
Scrod, I've got two questions.

What are your thoughts on dry lube? I'm considering using it on my Nature Boy since the chain is super clean and unlubed right now. I usually use liquid ProGold ProLink but it always ends up black and messy after I put any number of miles on it.

I can't tell you how much I've come to loathe dry lube of any kind. PG ProLink is the house lube at the shop and the trick is to not overdo it. Because I'm a baller, I use Phil Tenacious Oil on my own bikes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddeadserious (Post 16669928)
Also, I see the only freewheel you sell is the Shimano MX30. I'm finding a lot of negative reviews on that model - what has your experience been with it? Any other recommendations?

I've encountered a couple of ****ty MX30s but for the most part, they're ok for the price. IRD makes a nice freewheel if you don't want to shell out White Industries money.

Scrodzilla 04-14-14 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmSam (Post 16670036)
Man, would I like to give my answer to ddeadserious's dry lube question but /not Scrod/ so...

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../THANK_YOU.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmSam (Post 16670036)
Have you ridden your new bike enough, or had 25c Vittoria Open Corsas previously, that you can "review" them?

Am on my 2nd set of 23c Veloflex Masters here, and do love them, but it is getting close to new tires time and can't help wondering if the grass is greener...

They've literally got about 40 miles on them thus far. They ride like a dream but I can't really give an actual review just yet.

FWIW, they took about 30 mins (each) to mount on my wheels. I've never been more pissed at bike tires in my life.

Scrodzilla 04-14-14 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenteei89 (Post 16668209)
I have been building up a single speed cinelli and I somehow cannot get it right. I have a new surly cog, chain, chainring, and singleator. Somehow I am still getting chain skip. I initially thought it was the old chainring so I replaced that but for some reason I still get it. Do you think its maybe the carbon cranks are to flexy? I am running out of trouble shooting ideas. Thanks in advance for any info.

Is your chainline way off?

ddeadserious 04-14-14 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16670113)
I can't tell you how much I've come to loathe dry lube of any kind. PG ProLink is the house lube at the shop and the trick is to not overdo it. Because I'm a baller, I use Phil Tenacious Oil on my own bikes.

Haha alright, I'll try to be a bit more conservative with my oil application. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16670113)
I've encountered a couple of ****ty MX30s but for the most part, they're ok for the price. IRD makes a nice freewheel if you don't want to shell out White Industries money.

I'll definitely look into the IRD one. I was considering grabbing a White Industries one, so this might be a good alternative. Thanks!

veganbikes 04-14-14 10:47 PM

Dear Mr. Scrod,
I was just wandering, do you prefer the music of Kenny Loggins or Kenny G when at your place of employ?

Thanks,
Sleepless in Seattle

Scrodzilla 04-14-14 10:56 PM

Neither. Today we kicked the day off with 'Variations On a Theme' by OM, followed by about five hours of Saint Vitus' discography (in chronological order, naturally) and ended the day right with some Slayer.

Huffandstuff 04-14-14 11:04 PM

I'm pissed that OM is starting in SF and working down on their tour. I want to see them but RT flight + hotel is a lot of money for just a concert.

stooey lewis 04-15-14 01:02 AM

scrod, i recently blew out my second rear hub on my bike. the cog stripped it, so now im wondering what is a great affordable hub that wont strip when getting hot rod on the fixie breakless?

GENESTARWIND 04-15-14 02:20 AM

Scrod I'm looking for an all black hoop to replace my tb14 that I'm told is not rebuildable. I've looked at the cr18 and the m13II but I'd there anything you'd suggest aside from another tb14. All black box section msw or nmsw. Thanks.

TejanoTrackie 04-15-14 07:16 AM

Hey, Scrod. When I got my Nitto B260-AA riser bars, I realized that they are 24mm diameter at the ends, instead of 22.2mm that I was expecting. I also got some Oury grips that I've used many times previously on 22.2mm bars, but I've never tried to install them on 24mm bars. Can the Oury grips be installed on 24mm bars, or should I find something different, and if so what should I use instead ?

veganbikes 04-15-14 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla (Post 16671817)
Neither. Today we kicked the day off with 'Variations On a Theme' by OM, followed by about five hours of Saint Vitus' discography (in chronological order, naturally) and ended the day right with some Slayer.

Well played sir, well played. When I first discovered OM I was a happy puppy!

Scrodzilla 04-15-14 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stooey lewis (Post 16671922)
scrod, i recently blew out my second rear hub on my bike. the cog stripped it, so now im wondering what is a great affordable hub that wont strip when getting hot rod on the fixie breakless?

I've never stripped a hub, cheap or otherwise. It sounds more like you need to know how to properly install a cog and lockring.

Scrodzilla 04-15-14 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GENESTARWIND (Post 16671964)
Scrod I'm looking for an all black hoop to replace my tb14 that I'm told is not rebuildable. I've looked at the cr18 and the m13II but I'd there anything you'd suggest aside from another tb14. All black box section msw or nmsw. Thanks.

Just get another TB14.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.