Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 339 of 362 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,475 of 9032

Thread: Ask Scrod

  1. #8451
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Hey, Scrod. When I got my Nitto B260-AA riser bars, I realized that they are 24mm diameter at the ends, instead of 22.2mm that I was expecting. I also got some Oury grips that I've used many times previously on 22.2mm bars, but I've never tried to install them on 24mm bars. Can the Oury grips be installed on 24mm bars, or should I find something different, and if so what should I use instead ?
    Sorry we didn't catch that you ordered Nitto risers and a Dirt harry lever. When people order a combination of stuff that isn't compatible, we will usually send an e-mail. Feel free to send back the lever for a refund if you're not going to use it.

    About the grips, Ourys will stretch to 24mm without any trouble.

  2. #8452
    Uninformed Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Union County, NJ
    Posts
    893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from something custom, is Phil Wood the only manufacturer of low flange rear track hubs in black? My poor Internet search skills haven't brought up much else, figured you've maybe seen another, possibly more economic, solution out there.

  3. #8453
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Sorry we didn't catch that you ordered Nitto risers and a Dirt harry lever. When people order a combination of stuff that isn't compatible, we will usually send an e-mail. Feel free to send back the lever for a refund if you're not going to use it.

    About the grips, Ourys will stretch to 24mm without any trouble.
    Thanks, man. I'll return the lever.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  4. #8454
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    My Bikes
    raleigh rush hour
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so it is most likely the shop who put them together to blame? seeing as i havent touched either of the hubs cogs or lock rings in installation?

  5. #8455
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You do know that when installing a new cog and lockring you should re-check it after the first couple of rides, right?

    In my opinion, everyone riding fixed should at least own a chainwhip, lockring tool and know how to use them.
    Last edited by Scrodzilla; 04-15-14 at 11:55 AM.

  6. #8456
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared. View Post
    Aside from something custom, is Phil Wood the only manufacturer of low flange rear track hubs in black? My poor Internet search skills haven't brought up much else, figured you've maybe seen another, possibly more economic, solution out there.
    Mack and Victoire make low-flange rear track hubs too (but neither one will cost less than a Phil).

  7. #8457
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stooey lewis View Post
    so it is most likely the shop who put them together to blame? seeing as i havent touched either of the hubs cogs or lock rings in installation?
    While I would hope that the shop has enough sense to really tighten down my cog and lockring (if I were lazy enough to pay someone to actually do that), you should still always double check.
    And, as scrod says, you're gonna need to check it after the first couple of rides, my first bike had a bit of slippage after a few rides, and it can lead to a crash.

  8. #8458
    Senior Member iTripped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Phil Barge Pista SC
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Scrod, here's one for you:

    A while ago my grandfather passed and left each of his grandkids an inheritance. I'd like to use some of that to get something for my bike in his memory. Something classy, possibly vintage or at least evocative of an earlier time. Last year I got a Brooks Swift (in antique brown) from your online shop and have really been enjoying that so one possibility that came to mind was to get the same saddle in black. So anyway, I tell you all of that just to give you the background for my question:

    Can you think of other saddles that might be suitable to what I am looking for? I was looking at the Brooks Swallow, but as far as I can tell I can only get one with copper rivets if I get the Select model and that doesn't come in black? I have other copper accents on my bike which is why I wanted that. Also, I don't know much about other vintage saddle brands, so I wouldn't even know what to search for on ebay, etc. This is a bit of a wild goose chase, I admit and don't worry, I'm not hanging this all on you. I just figured I'd post it this thread so that I'd get at least one legit response.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/member/itripped

  9. #8459
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master Dave Scott
    Posts
    2,357
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scb_eagle.jpgTNRavatar.jpg

    Is this intentional or just an eerie coincidence?
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/rms13

  10. #8460
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's risen !
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  11. #8461
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
    scb_eagle.jpgTNRavatar.jpg

    Is this intentional or just an eerie coincidence?
    Surprisingly, it was a coincidence. Matt Lingo took that photo at the Velodrome a couple of weeks ago and quite a few people have pointed out that it looks like that pic of Sheldon. I've got a little toy gorilla I've been considering sticking to the top of my helmet too.
    Last edited by Scrodzilla; 04-19-14 at 04:45 PM.

  12. #8462
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iTripped View Post
    Ok Scrod, here's one for you:

    A while ago my grandfather passed and left each of his grandkids an inheritance. I'd like to use some of that to get something for my bike in his memory. Something classy, possibly vintage or at least evocative of an earlier time. Last year I got a Brooks Swift (in antique brown) from your online shop and have really been enjoying that so one possibility that came to mind was to get the same saddle in black. So anyway, I tell you all of that just to give you the background for my question:

    Can you think of other saddles that might be suitable to what I am looking for? I was looking at the Brooks Swallow, but as far as I can tell I can only get one with copper rivets if I get the Select model and that doesn't come in black? I have other copper accents on my bike which is why I wanted that. Also, I don't know much about other vintage saddle brands, so I wouldn't even know what to search for on ebay, etc. This is a bit of a wild goose chase, I admit and don't worry, I'm not hanging this all on you. I just figured I'd post it this thread so that I'd get at least one legit response.
    If you like your Swift, you may also really like the Team Pro. I've used both and like them equally.

  13. #8463
    The Empire forges on... ThimbleSmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NSB,Florida
    My Bikes
    SE PK Ripper FG,Trek Classic Steel, Free Spirit FG, Raleigh Pointe, Centurion Sport DLX, Schwinn CrissCross
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the Bern Allston you are wearing in your new avatar? If so how do you like it? I've been wanting something that blends a little better to a guy who wears nothing but t-shirts and jean shorts and yet still has reasonable venting.
    Look at me, I'm Mr. Meeseeks!
    PedalRoom

  14. #8464
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It is the Allston. I needed to get a new helmet when I cut my dreads off because my XXXL Brentwood no longer fit.

    I love the hell out of that thing.

  15. #8465
    Senior Member iTripped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    My Bikes
    Phil Barge Pista SC
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to look into that
    http://www.pedalroom.com/member/itripped

  16. #8466
    Senior Member rex615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cherryville, NC
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Surprisingly, it was a coincidence. Matt Lingo took that photo at the Velodrome a couple of weeks ago and quite a few people have pointed out that it looks like that pic of Sheldon. I've got a little toy gorilla I've been considering sticking to the top of my helmet too.
    I propose that you are a worthy candidate to carry on his legacy; like him you are a great mechanic that shares his knowledge on line. You also have a great sense of humor and even often chose an eclectic look for your internet persona. I am sure I am forgetting something else but that s enough for now.

  17. #8467
    Grumpy Old Bugga europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    I propose that you are a worthy candidate to carry on his legacy; like him you are a great mechanic that shares his knowledge on line. You also have a great sense of humor and even often chose an eclectic look for your internet persona. I am sure I am forgetting something else but that s enough for now.
    He's also a heretic, something Sheldon shared.
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

  18. #8468
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any danger in installing a miche carrier and cog on a formula hub but with a lockring that does not fully cover the splined area?

  19. #8469
    Grumpy Old Bugga europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Posts
    3,062
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAISEDBYWOLVES View Post
    is there any danger in installing a miche carrier and cog on a formula hub but with a lockring that does not fully cover the splined area?
    Not answering your question, that's Scrod's job. What exactly are you asking? I can think of a couple of scenarios that might be described this way. Do you mean the locking ring is low and doesn't extend very far up the side of the carrier, not covering the splined area? A photo would help.
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

  20. #8470
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the lockring i have covers most of the spline teeth on the cog but does not extend further - coming just short of the main body of the cog. here is a little mock up
    Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 1.32.51 AM.jpg

    it seems solid enough installed, but im worried the minimal contact would be a weak and potentially dangerous liability

  21. #8471
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You'll be fine.

    Once the cog is installed on the carrier, it essentially becomes the same as any other threaded cog and the only way for it to come loose from the cog is to be threaded off.
    Last edited by Scrodzilla; 04-20-14 at 12:07 AM.

  22. #8472
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Manhattan
    My Bikes
    AristoNYC's PedalRoom
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts on this vs a star-nut?
    Nashbar Expanding Fork Plug
    http://www.pedalroom.com/members/AristoNYC

  23. #8473
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Expander plugs are typically for use on carbon steeerers, as inserting a starnut will damage the carbon. There's no real need to use one on a steel or aluminum steerer.

  24. #8474
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought Origin 8 risers that are 25.4 in clamp diameter. Are the bar end sizing on for the levers all universal? Don't know if I need 22.2 or 24mm levers.

  25. #8475
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,215
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nitto risers are 24mm. Just about all others are 22.2mm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •