Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Details...details...

    As y'all know I just bought a Soma Rush with a matching threadless fork in khaki green. I always use a front brake when riding fixed on the road, so I expect the fork to be drilled for a front brake, which it was. I also expect it the be drilled for a modern brake with a recessed nut, which it wasn't. Instead, it was drilled for an old school brake with a throughbolt and external nut / washer. It also lacked a flat at the front and was curved, requiring a concave / flat washer like old school forks. Fortunately I had a washer in my parts bin, since I have a lot of vintage bikes, and was able to bore the hole at the back to accept a recessed nut. However, I did not have a counter-bore bit, so the nut is not recessed. The stock nut was too short, and the longest nut I had in my parts bin catches only about 5mm of thread, so as soon as I can get to my lbs I'm going to get a longer one. Anyway, just another example of how unanticipated details can affect a new build, and you never know what surprise is in store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  2. #2
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle / Leader 725 / 1975 Raleigh Professional Track
    Posts
    23,904
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How long of a nut do you need? I've got a bunch and could send one with the rest of your other stuff.

  3. #3
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting find. I'm excited to see my twin all built up! What are your impressions of it so far? I was taken away by how light mine was for being a 57cm steel frame with a steel fork.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hate it when these things happen.

    ive been drooling over that frame (in that color) for some time now.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the club...my affinity lo pro fork is the same :-/
    the 105 brake doesn't fit properly

  6. #6
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    How long of a nut do you need? I've got a bunch and could send one with the rest of your other stuff.
    Hey, thanks. The one I'm using now has a total length of about 20mm (threaded shaft 18mm), so I think 25mm total would be perfect. 30mm would be too long.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  7. #7
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle / Leader 725 / 1975 Raleigh Professional Track
    Posts
    23,904
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Between what I've got on hand and the bucket o' nuts & bolts at the shop, I'm sure I can come up with something.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    im, hungary
    Posts
    1,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is weird because my older ('09) soma rush (pre tange dropout) has a different fork crown (with a window), and it takes a recessed brake nut.

  9. #9
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 View Post
    this is weird because my older ('09) soma rush (pre tange dropout) has a different fork crown (with a window), and it takes a recessed brake nut.
    What color is your fork ? I've looked at the photos on the Soma webstore, and only the khaki green ones appear to be like mine w/o the window cutout in the external crown lug tangs >>> http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3773699..._2182_32783030 Maybe, that's why they are being heavily discounted.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  10. #10
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn View Post
    Interesting find. I'm excited to see my twin all built up! What are your impressions of it so far? I was taken away by how light mine was for being a 57cm steel frame with a steel fork.
    Oh, I haven't even started to build mine yet (still waiting on most major parts), but the quality of the frame is very evident in the tidy welds, perfect alignment and dropout spacing, and paint finish. I bought some stainless steel dropout protectors from Wabi to protect the paint from the track nuts. I weighed the bare 49cm frame at 3.92lbs, which is only about 0.2 lbs heavier than my 49cm Leader 721tr V2 and a lot lighter than the VISP. I'm hoping to have it completed before Christmas.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    im, hungary
    Posts
    1,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    What color is your fork ? I've looked at the photos on the Soma webstore, and only the khaki green ones appear to be like mine w/o the window cutout in the external crown lug tangs >>> http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3773699..._2182_32783030 Maybe, that's why they are being heavily discounted.
    yeah, i have a white frame/fork. the fork crown thing isn't too big of a issue but its something that they really should have seen coming... pretty sure 90+% of brakes sold today are recessed bolt. anyway, not too big of a deal and i really hope youll enjoy your frame as i do with mine!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PHL
    My Bikes
    De Rosa Planet, Shogun Kaze, Jamis Sputnik, Redline 925
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  13. #13
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xkillemallx16 View Post
    yeah, i have a white frame/fork. the fork crown thing isn't too big of a issue but its something that they really should have seen coming... pretty sure 90+% of brakes sold today are recessed bolt. anyway, not too big of a deal and i really hope youll enjoy your frame as i do with mine!
    Thing is that it needs a short reach caliper, and the only through bolt calipers available today are medium to long reach. Also, most shops don't stock those concave washers, because modern bikes have forks that don't need them. I just happened to have one left in my parts bin. Anyway, the important thing is that the brake can be mounted, even if lacks aesthetics, since the nut is not fully recessed.

    Another annoyance is that the fork dropouts had those stupid nanny tabs, that I ground off. So now I need to find some matching khaki green touchup paint. I don't think the other fork colors have them. Did yours ?
    Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 11-18-11 at 06:44 PM.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    im, hungary
    Posts
    1,984
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    Thing is that it needs a short reach caliper, and the only through bolt calipers available today are medium to long reach. Also, most shops don't stock those concave washers, because modern bikes have forks that don't need them. I just happened to have one left in my parts bin. Anyway, the important thing is that the brake can be mounted, even if lacks aesthetics, since the nut is not fully recessed.

    Another annoyance is that the fork dropouts had those stupid nanny tabs, that I ground off. So now I need to find some matching khaki green touchup paint. I don't think the other fork colors have them. Did yours ?
    my fork did not have lawyer lips that i had to grind off. seems like all framesets these days are coming with them.

  15. #15
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    EAI Bare Knuckle / Leader 725 / 1975 Raleigh Professional Track
    Posts
    23,904
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ****, I hate those things. Even the Alpina fork on my Kagero has them. Even worse, the dropouts are so thick I need to completely remove my axle nuts to get the wheel on or off.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fork ends on a (my) curt goodrich fork:


    sometimes it is the small things in life

  17. #17
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The straight blade chrome track fork on retrogression has a little lip on the fork ends too. One other thing to remember/plan for on this frame is chainring clearance. I have like 1mm of clearance between my 53t chainring and the chainstay.(ib4 someone poops a brick) Depending on your bottom bracket, crankset, and chainring size there's a chance you'll run into clearance issues. I know you're an OG at bike building though so you'll probably be fine lol.

  18. #18
    Senior Member TheRealFaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tejano, I bought a soma rush frame from cyclingclubsports just like you. I was wondering how long it took for them to ship? And did they send you a confirmation email upon shipping? I ordered mine last monday night and didn't pay attention to the past page to see if it had a tracking number or not and haven't received anything in the form of email since ordering, so I am a bit worried. I would've sent this in PM, but I do not have enough posts, sorry

  19. #19
    Veteran Racer TejanoTrackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
    My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Posts
    7,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealFaux View Post
    Hey Tejano, I bought a soma rush frame from cyclingclubsports just like you. I was wondering how long it took for them to ship? And did they send you a confirmation email upon shipping? I ordered mine last monday night and didn't pay attention to the past page to see if it had a tracking number or not and haven't received anything in the form of email since ordering, so I am a bit worried. I would've sent this in PM, but I do not have enough posts, sorry
    Did you receive an order confirmation email ? It should say "Cycle Club Sports Receipt". They are slow to ship. I ordered mine on Monday and they didn't ship until Friday. They take 2-4 business days to ship, and since last Thursday was a holiday, it was only 3 business days so far. When they finally shipped, I received an email from them with a UPS tracking number. I also received a UPS Quantam View email with tracking. If you don't hear from them by tomorrow, send them an email. How did you pay them ?
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

  20. #20
    Senior Member TheRealFaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called them earlier and they said they would be shipping today

  21. #21
    Just smang it. EpicSchwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
    Posts
    2,233
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really should do a group ride. Didn't a fourth person get a khaki rush too?

  22. #22
    Painfully average. calv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oakland/Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    all city mr pink
    Posts
    2,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys can be called "Peas in a pod" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisJauntyGent View Post
    The stories about the smell are absolutely true: straight elephant dick.
    All City Mr Pink

  23. #23
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,356
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
    fork ends on a (my) curt goodrich fork:


    sometimes it is the small things in life
    Chiseled ends.

    That's something Tim Isaac taught us.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    Chiseled ends.

    That's something Tim Isaac taught us.
    was this done on some of his OEM designs or just something he taught you?

  25. #25
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,356
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
    was this done on some of his OEM designs or just something he taught you?
    We chiseled the ends on all the team frames and model 170 frames we built at Trek. Curt Goodrich worked with Tim Isaac at Match Bicycles; I suspect that's where he picked it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •